Nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Nervous

I went to my doc for my yearly and he informs me that my uterus is about the size of a woman who is 10 weeks pregnant. I immediately say well that is why my abdomen in so tender and I feel so bloated. He then starts to ask me questions about my cycle. Question 1 how long is your cycle I answer about 7 days, the first 4 being the heaviest with lots of blood clots. He then ask if I have pressure, I tell him oh my goodness like something is falling out of me at certain times of the month. He then tells me he suspects adenomyosis. I begin to think and start telling him all these things that may not be normal and come to find out there are lots of things I have on a regular basis that aren't normal. I just figured the cramping, backaches and exhaustion are from having 3 children, but he informed me that it's not normal. I had the transvaginal ultrasound he saw the adenomyosis and told me we could go 2 routes, one would be sterilization and uterine ablation to help my symptoms or the 2nd do the hysterectomy and get rid of my symptoms . After discussing with my DH we decided to do it now and get it done and over with. I am a teacher so we scheduled my hysterectomy after Thanksgiving so I can use my 2 weeks vacation as extra recovery time. I am so nervous about knowing for sure I will never be able to get pregnant again. I do not want anymore children very thankful for my 3 babies, but stressed out knowing I won't be able to at all anymore. I also know that feeling the way I do everyday is not normal, so please some one tell me how much better you feel after the surgery...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Re: Nervous

I had my TVH on July 7th.I had adenomyosis.Prior to my hyster I was on pain meds daily which only took the edge off.Periods lasting months at a time that were extremely heavy flows everyday.I had my hyster at noon that day and by midnight I was off the pain meds.I took ibuprofen a few days after that.And nothing since.I am 6 and a half weeks post op.

I had tried birth control to alleviate some of the symptoms but that didn't work.I didn't want to have an ablation incase it didn't help.

I do still have problems with ovarian cysts but as for the pain from the adenomyosis,it's gone.Finally after 10 years I'm not on any type of medicine for it.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

My doctor is having my tissue tested for adenomyosis. I had incredible pain and hemorraging that kept me up all night. Had to set my alarm every hour for two weeks at times. I had my LVH on Friday, Aug. 19 and feel so much better already I can't believe it! I hope that your symptoms disappear as quickly as mine!

I was taking motrin nearly every day and I haven't needed anything since I left the hospital. I am sore, but nothing like what I was feeling before. I feel better three days post op than I have all summer!

I have four children and have no plans to have any more (obviously!) but I am not upset about having to make this choice. I hope you are able to feel better about this decision soon. I encourage you to find out everything you can about your diagnosis and make an informed decision that you feel good about. I wish you the best and that your next couple of months are less painful. I can't imagine having to teach school while dealingwith this pain.

Hugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM

hi kickback, i had a complete vaginal hyster. 6 weeks ago, and not having anymore kids was a passing thought for me knowing how much more i could offer my child if i was better, he heard alot of "dont sit on mommys belly, or mommy cant run right now" because of pain and periods all the time. i feel 100% better, almost girl like again it really changed my attitude on life. all the blood gore and smell are gone forever. i feel fresh and clean all the time now, im still getting used to that, its been years since ive put on undies without some type of pad. of course i had everything removed, no sense in going back in later. i take a tiny 2mg estrogen pill each day. i never had a hot flash, vaginal dryness or mood swings. life is goooood. good luck to you. there are some low points in the process but its over in a week. stay motivated and positive. a strong mind overcomes.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Hi, well first off you will need more than 2 weeks to recover for sure, do not care what your doctor says. I am 14 days post op and feeling much better than I thought I would at this point. I am in minimal pain with some discomfort, I feel very tired and weak but getting stronger every day I am scheduled to go back to work 8 weeks after my surgery. You will have hundreds of internal stitches that need time to heal going back to work to early can result in you tearing stitches and requiring more surgery. Every person heals differently you will only know after how things will go, some people have complications during surgery and need more recovery time or complications after surgery, you cannot plan for any of this unfortunately. good Luck
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM

i returned to work after 2 weeks, of course i had a vaginal hyster. not nearly as invasive. the weekend before i went back to work we went to a water/amusement park i didnt have any trouble. i stand all day on my job but with the ibuprophen i did fine. now everyone heals differently so you never know for sure. thats just my story.
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM

well my doctor said I only have one chance to heal properly and if you do not the affects can last a life time not mentioning needing more surgery and 2 weeks I was told NO way, your stitches can take up to a year to heal so after 2 weeks you are no where near the point of mending, you cannot see your insides and this is why my doctor insists on 8 weeks he told me stories of women who did too much too soon and they paid the price it is just not worth it, he said you may feel fine but you do not know what is going on internally, Just what I was told by a very experienced doctor who has done many many surgeries
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM

guess i was the exception
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Wow, I already feel better, I never looked at it from the point of view as to how much I can offer my 3 children if I feel better. I know the feeling of taking meds everyday. I keep midol and advil in my purse and almost everyday I take one or the other. I change my mind about the park, the movies, and so many other things because mommy doesnt feel well.... I think I am making the right decision and already spoke to my doctor,
who told me 6 weeks recovery not 2 no matter what I want.... Thank you all so much
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Hi, just remember to be patient with your recovery( I am telling you this from experience) I am 14 days post op and feeling frustrated because just going to the store to pick up one thing makes me so tired I have to go and lie down afterwards. I did not even drive my oldest daughter did. Then my husband reminded me that I am only 2 weeks post op from major surgery and I felt better. You will feel a bit loopy with the pain meds but take them, I am still on them only 2 a day and I hope to get off them by the end of this week. I am thrilled with the outcome so far (except for being so tired),. Take care and you will be okay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register