Doubting my decision... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doubting my decision... Doubting my decision...

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Doubting my decision...

Ugh! I have my hyst scheduled for Monday, and now I'm worried it isn't the right decision.

I have had nasty bleeding my entire adult life that worsened considerably the last five years. I started getting serious with treatment when a blood test showed that while my counts were okay, the quality of my red blood cells had deteriorated.

My last ditch attempt to control the bleeding is the Mirena. It diminished the volume of blood loss, but now my periods last 14-21 days and I am having unpleasant side effects. t least the quality of my red blood cells has improved.

My issues aren't life threatening, but boy am I miserable. Is major surgery worth it just to make me less miserable?

My regular gyn says a hyst is a good choice for me. A second opinion doc said the same thing. But here at the last minute I have doubts. Anyone else empathize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Re: Doubting my decision...

My problem isn't life threatening, either. But if your quality of life is affected, then while it is your decision, you shouldn't feel bad about making this choice. To me, it sounds like the benefit will be worth it.
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM

None of my issues were life threatening either, but I chose this option because I wanted to get my life back. I was missing out on events because I was afraid I would bleed through my double protection and I was finished with the pain every time I got my period. I had other options offered to me but chose this one because I knew the positive way it would impact my life.
11 weeks out and all I have to say is no regrets! The surgery and recovery were easier than I expected, I followed all the rules for lifting, bending etc...and had no major complications at all. I feel better than I have in years and actually feel like I can live my life the way it was meant to be now.
It's a very difficult choice and everyone's circumstances are different. Nobody can make the decision for you, and you can't go back once it's done.
Try to focus on what brought you to this decision to begin with, and then think about why you are now second guessing that decision. There's nothing wrong with postponing if you are having doubts to give yourself more time.
I know in my case doing it was the best thing for me, but it's not the same for everyone.
Good luck, if you do go through with it we'll see you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Thank you. I am trying to keep positive and remember how miserable I've been the last 5+ years.
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM

While my decision wasn't life threatening either my blood counts were so low that I could barely function. I struggled with the decision and worried about the outcome and whether or not I should risk having major surgery for something that I felt wasn't absolutely necessary. I was terrified! I'm now almost 8 weeks post op and had NO idea how bad I actually felt everyday. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, have a bit of swelly belly and minor aches occasionally still but it's nothing compared to how I felt before surgery. I think so many of us are just used to the bleeding, the cramps, and everything else that we get by, but life can be so much better! The decision is yours and not to be taken lightly but consider if you can live a full life with the many problems you are having. It's major surgery, yes but a very common one with so few cases of complications compared to the number of hysterectomies performed. Make an informed decision based on your needs. And know that you are not alone! The pre op anxiety really is harder than the recovery. Hugs!!!
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM

My issues were never life threatening. The abnormal periods that could not be controlled with birth control. I never had any pain or anything. I Was actually quite shocked that the first doctor I asked t perform my hysterectomy actually said " you have very valid points, lets get this going" I got scared and postponed my first appointment by 6 weeks. I had it done. It was the best decision I have ever made. As long as you follow the warnings for your recovery you will do fine. No heavy lifting ect. Keep us posted and good luck!
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:11 AM

Erack, if your blood counts were so low you could barely function - especially over o prolonged period of time - it was life threatening! Severe anemia reeks havoc on your heart.

Fraidycat, it's normal to be afraid. This is major surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly. After my failed ablation - when I started bleeding again - I tried to convince myself that it was a different kind of bleeding and would die down. I even chose to wait a week longer just to be sure.

Being miserable is no way to live if you have options. Best of luck.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Thank you, thank you.

I think I just needed a little encouragement. My husband has been saying form years I need to do this. I guess I just needed to hear it from fellow women.

There doesn't appear to be anything 'wrong' with my uterus. It's just large and bleeds an awful lot. I wonder if it would be 'easier' if I had fibroids or something concrete to point at as the source of my problems.
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:03 AM

There's nothing "wrong" with my uterus, either. In fact, the gal who did my ultrasound said it was pretty.. ? Lol Anyway, it's just been trying to come out all by itself, so I made the decision to help it out. ;D You'll be fine, and soon, you will feel better, and know you made the right decision.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM

A pretty uterus? I've not heard that before. Congratulations.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register