confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM
confused

Hi all
After a 10 month process I was diagnosed in October 2013 with endometrial cancer Grade 1. I'm a healthy 54 yr old with only minor spotting, mild hot flashes in past 2 years. My GP (female) found fibroids in January 2013, which led to a precautionary pelvic ultrasound, a referral to a Gyno, (female) which led to subtle findings of irregular cells, more tests, yata yata.
Gyno recommends a full hysterectomy, ovaries included, with an almost 100% cancer cure, no need to leave ovaries behind.! No problem, six week recovery, and I'll be good as new.
My GP agreed on all points,and surgery date is set for Dec 23 2013. Now I'm getting headaches, dizzy spells, and finding more frequent and intense hot flashes bothersome.
A counsellor I was seeing for an unrelated matter (or is it?), shared her horror story with an unplanned hysterectomy and highly recommended this site.
Now I'm really freaked out.
Am I being naive expecting everything to be fine post-surgery? Physically and hormonally?
End of cancer?
Do I insist on leaving ovaries behind? Are they really of no use at my menopausal age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Re: confused

Dianna -

I am sorry to hear that you have received a cancer diagnosis. That alone stops your world for a bit. I know I was there 5 years ago. So first order of business is to just breath.

First, look at the pre-op information and visit the Cancer Concerns forum. This will give you information to get prepared for surgery and also put you in touch with ladies who have walked and are walking your path.

Since you have a confirmed cancer diagnosis you really have no other choice since it will only progress. It is the pits that is the situation but that is how it happens. Many of us with a cancer diagnosis were moved along pretty quickly since they don't want it to progress. However you should get a second opinion with a gynecological oncologist if that specialty exists in your area. Some countries and areas don't have gyn-oncs in that case you might have to travel or opt for an oncologist to be present. This just ups the ante that all will be well.

The headaches and dizziness could be a result of stress if you are feeling concerned about all of this.

Once you are close to menopause or past menopause you will find that most surgeons want to remove the ovaries to eliminate the risk of ovarian cancer. You may have a slight second menopause of symptoms. Since you are already past menopause you may not notice any difference and you may have already made adjustments related to things like increasing calcium for bone health and lubrication for intimacy.

Remember that ladies who post on some of the other forums are ones who have had challenges. Many ladies have no issues and go on with their lives without returning to post that all is well.

Sending you BIG as you start this journey.
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Re: confused

Hi, Dianna!

January 2013 was an important month for us both, it seems. That's when I told my GP that I'd been having light but daily bleeding for the past few weeks. I had just turned 55 at the time. I'd had my last regular period almost 3 1/2 years before and had had an easy time going through menopause.

My GP (female) did a pap smear, sent me for an ultrasound and referred me to a gyn (also female). The gyn attempted an endometrial biopsy but my cervix refused to cooperate, so we did a hysteroscopy/D&C instead. Hey, presto! Grade 2/3 endometrial cancer!

My gyn told me I'd need a hysterectomy - she recommended an abdominal hysterectomy, specifically - with removal of the uterus, cervix, ovaries and Fallopian tubes as well as a few lymph nodes for testing. The ovaries had to go because estrogen, even at the lower levels produced by post-menopausal ovaries, feeds endometrial cancer and increases the chances of a recurrence. The gyn predicted a three-day hospital stay and a six-week recovery. When I made panicked noises at the idea of having to stay in bed for six weeks, she broke it down for me in terms of increasing activity levels - it sounded a lot more do-able then! :-)

Because cancer was involved, my gyn referred me to a gyn onc in another city for the actual surgery. He said all the same things she had said - TAH/BSO with lymph node sampling, 3-4 day hospital stay, six weeks recovery. I had surgery in late May.

Everything turned out great! The surgery went smoothly, and a I had a pleasant three-day hospital stay. I was given the option of staying a fourth day, but I was walking laps around the ward and sitting upright reading when I wasn't walking. I had some soreness and tenderness, but no real pain. Once I got home, I continued to go for short, frequent walks, interspersed with sitting out in the sun to read and sew. It was really quite relaxing! I had an easy recovery with minimal pain and no complications.

At four weeks, I was going for 1-2 hour hikes on wooded trails. When I saw my gyn onc for my post-op check up, he cleared me to return to work at a part-time desk job but said wait another couple of weeks before lifting more than 30 lbs or using my exercise machine, and then start slowly and work up.

We also went over my post-op pathology report. The cancer had been caught at a very early stage, and I didn't need radiation or chemo, just check-ups every six months for the next couple of years. (I have my first one in three weeks.)

Life was pretty much back to normal for me by eight weeks, although I still have a bit of abdominal swelling in the evenings.

Endometrial cancer has a recurrence rate of about 15%, but in 50%-70% of cases it's symptomatic, so I'm keeping my eyes open. After all, *I'm* the one who kicked this whole train of events into gear by reporting the bleeding to my GP. Essentially, I saved my own life. *grin*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register