Getting Close, Getting Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Close, Getting Scared Getting Close, Getting Scared

Unread 12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Getting Close, Getting Scared

Well, I've got school finished, shopping and x-mas cards are done, and Friday is my last day at work till March 14. I've run out of things to keep me occupied so that I don't think about the hysterectomy.

It's not the surgery that upsets me or the recovery, it's having organs removed from my body. I've never had anything like that done. Regardless of the fact that I'm having a TVH rather than a TAH, it still must hurt to have my cervix and uterus removed from my body... removed from My body... removed from MY body... that is what's scaring me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:33 PM

I didn't have a TVH so I can't speak to what discomfort you might feel following that type of surgery, but as far as pain from having organs removed, I didn't have any. My doctor also said there would be no pain internally from their removal. I did feel an occassional tugging which was from the rerouted ligaments. This has gone away completely (I think by about 4 weeks I didn't notice that any more). Other than that, no internal pain.
Unread 12-15-2004, 08:47 PM

I had a TVH/BSO on Nov.1st and thinking about it, I 'd say having a baby was probably worse. I was uncomfortable with the drain and the catheter, but they were out the next day. I did sleep alot, when I needed it, and never filled my heavy duty pain meds. I did get a script for Motrin 800 and took them regularly. The whole thing was really NOT BAD!!! I think the difference is taking it vaginally and not being cut. Just be sure you rest when you get tired, drink your water (like everybody says), and listen to your doctor. I went for my 6 week follow up today, and my doctor told me that I should go out and take on the world. I am 95% healed and I feel great!!! I feel as though I never had the surgery. Also found out that my uterus was 14 week size. Please try not to worry, it really wasn't bad!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:55 PM

I agree with previous post. It really wasn't as bad as my anxiety told me it was going to be. I felt like I had given birth to a very large baby the first morning, but things settled down considerably after that. I had, and still occasionally have, low back pain that doc says is normal and not to worry.

Just be sure you behave and follow all the rules and you'll have a great recovery. Don't hesitate to ask questions, either here or of your doctor, as someone will always have an answer. I love this site for the openness and honesty that all the sisters provide from real-life experience. AND, it will make your days at home go faster

Take care and good luck.
Kathy
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:09 AM

Hi there. I know it is not fun to think aobut what they are going to do, but there is a reason they are going to do it...to help you be a healthier person..and much happier.

No surgery is fun, I had 9 of them before my Hysterectom (TVH) on Dec 6th. I was so nervous before my surgery..but it went great.

Now, I didn't have a catheter in afterward or any vaginal packing, so that may've helped me feel a little better (b/c I could get up right away...), but not sure.

When I woke up my pain wasn't too bad, I asked for medicine (I didn't have the pump), but the pain wasn't much worse than a bad period for me.

I was on the meds for like 4 days maybe and then started Aleve and am down to nothing now. NO PAIN, just some pressure where my new "vaginal cuff" is.

You will be tired, I can tell you that. Plan on resting a lot.

Much luck to you! PM or email me if you have any questions.

shelly
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:36 AM

I know this is the best thing for me, but the anticipation is killing me. When I go into pre-op I'm going to tell them to give me something mild to calm my nerves. With every surgery I have, the more stressed I get.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register