Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on?

Unread 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on?

I was supposed to go to the maternity ward but it was full so I ended up in pediatrics with two other women. It was wonderfully quiet as there were no other patients in the ward and we had the nurse to ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on?

Thank you everyone for sharing! I'm guessing I'll be in the maternity ward like a lot of you. I don't really mind though as I've had two babies at the same hospital so I'm quite familiar with that unit already! I definitely wouldn't want to share with a man
Unread 01-24-2015, 09:13 PM

I was surrounded by newborns. It was quite depressing. When I got up and walked around the floor there were several new babies in the nursery. I got several confused looks from happy family members visiting their new family members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM

They moved me to the Med Surg unit in the other hospital. We figured it was because they didn't want to keep someone that just had a hysterectomy in the maternity unit/hospital.

Most hospitals here are private rooms/bathrooms, so my BF was able to sleep on the pullout couch.
Unread 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM

After my surgery, I was welcomed to the "Family Birth Center." It was really nice because I got a private room - and it was big! The ward had a few "smaller" rooms like mine, likely set aside for GYN surgeries or women who had C sections and couldn't give birth in the suites.

But I did notice the nurses where very careful when starting a conversation with me in case I was upset about losing my uterus. Once they knew I was happy with my decision, they joked about making sure the door was closed or turning up the TV so I wouldn't be reminded of why I never wanted children. I still got odd looks while doing laps of the floor though.

I also find it funny that my dude was asked many questions about who he was here to see and was asked multiple times if he was the father until he explained "I'm here to see the hysterectomy patient." Oops.
Unread 01-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Hospital Stay - which ward were you on?

I was placed on the oncology ward. My surgery was done by an gynecological oncologist. I was very fortunate that my tumors turned out to be benign
Unread 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM

I was on the gyno floor at a Women's and Children's Hospital. Was in a semi-private room by myself .
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM

I was in pediatrics, LOL! It was actually great because they put me way at the end of the hall where it was quietest and I didn't have anyone in the room with me. Plus, a good friend who is a nurse on peds came to visit me twice while I was there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register