Arm and leg pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Arm and leg pain Arm and leg pain

Unread 05-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Arm and leg pain

Hi girls. I had uncomplicated TVH on 4/26 and on 5/8 began having right arm pain--initially sore bicep muscle, became so painful I couldn't position to get out of pain nor sleep. Saw an "urgent care" physician, had an ultrasound (negative.) Eventually it was chalked up to "Must have been an odd position they put you in during surgery." The arm is quite a bit better but now my right leg also hurts--tight, sore and feels like the tendon pulls up in my groin. It seems odd that if these are caused by positions in OR they would have onset at 12 and 16 days post-op. Any ideas, common experiences or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Arm and leg pain

I had that..only it was the left leg and left arm. My Doctor said it was gas pains in the muscle and the pain in the leg was b/c of the tendons are so close to the were the uterus tendons are that they were sore but would eventually work themselves out. I feel fine now.
Now having said that...that doesn't mean we have the same ailments...please check back with your doctor if the pain gets worse or gets worse.
I did place a heating pad on low and that helped alot.
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Arm and leg pain

Hi applecory
Its possible to have groin pain just from pressure and pain radiating out of the vagina from your surgery. I had some of this. Have you been up and doing quite a bit? If resting makes it stop then you know you need to be doing less.
My personal feeling is that you should call and ask your dr about this though. Because of the possibility of a blood clot at this point in your recovery I don't think it is anything to fool around with. It's better to be safe with this particular symtom IMHO.
I agree if it were due to positioning during surgery you would have been experiencing this before now. Please call and let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Arm and leg pain

My surgery was March 15, and my right shoulder and right side of my neck still hurt (today is May 15). I've "googled" this and found many sites referencing carbon dioxide gas and pinched pelvic nerves.

I'm going back to see my family doctor tomorrow. He gave me some muscle relaxers 2 weeks ago and said to come back, so I'm taking my sore shoulder back in. I've had massages, used hot pads, soaked in a very hot bath.... I'm running out of options. My right heel also hurts (feels like stone bruise), but I don't know if that's related or if I stepped down on it awkwardly and didn't realize it.

Good luck with your arm and leg. I hope your pain goes away faster than mine has.
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Arm and leg pain

Hi applecory
I had the experience of pain in one of my arm which hindered me in buckling my bra strap cause it hurts. Also the joint at one of my thigh hurts and I could hardly lift it up towards my chest nor could it rest on the floor when I bent my knee. It just happened overnight after op in the hospital. I didn't seek any treatment but allow myself not to be discouraged over it. I continue to try buckling my bra and stretching the joint at the thigh a little at a time. It was frustrating as it was hurting BUT I realise it gets easier through time. It taught me a lot of patience. I don't remember at which point I fully recovered, but it was a gradual healing. Hope my sharing encourage you.
Unread 05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Arm and leg pain

I've been having a similar problem, but it is both sides and both my arms and legs. I called my doctor's office last week, and the nurse said it was probably the position I was in during surgery and not to worry. It didn't sound right to me, since the pain didn't start until 2 weeks after surgery, but I figured I would give it some more time. It has been another 5 days without improvement, so I will probably call my doctor again later this week. For those of you that have had similar problems, when did you start feeling better?
Unread 05-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Arm and leg pain

I had similar pain in my arm about 2 weeks after surgery--same as llillies-- suddenly I couldn't reach behind me to do my bra. I had to turn it to the front and then turn it around again! It lasted about 2 weeks or so--one of those things where you suddenly realize that it doesn't hurt anymore! That said, I had pain yesterday while putting my bedding plants into pots. The pain wasn't from lifting the pots but in my back from sitting on the porch while planting. Just goes to show that even after 5 months we get unexpected aches and pains. It really reminded me that I am not 100% healed yet and to not push too much. Once I got up off the porch and moved around I was fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register