I had my pre-op and feel numb for some reason | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I had my pre-op and feel numb for some reason I had my pre-op and feel numb for some reason

Unread 04-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I had my pre-op and feel numb for some reason

I had my pre-op and feel numb. I don't know why. I even told my doctor that. I don't feel sad. I don't feel angry. I am not happy. I am just numb. Maybe denial? I haven't been able to tune into the why I don't feel anything....

My doctor explained to me that they are taking everything out. The day before the surgery, I have to go in for 4 hours and get a blood transfusion and then they are going to release me (because of insurance) and then I have to come back in the next morning at 6:30 with a 8:30 a.m. surgery. First the general surgeon will remove my appendix and my GYN (who I adore) said she won't leave me...she will be in there with me. He will also remove any adhesions that he sees and then turn it over to her. The only 'iffy' part is that she is cutting along my C-section scar (which she laughed she cannot even se...i am a GREAT healer and my scars disappear - thankfully!) and the surgeon said he would do a cut on my side. She said she is going to try and talk him into taking the appendix along my c-section area in lieu of two cuts. But what happens, happens. So she said that she will have a urologist on call in case there is a problem with my bladder from past c-sections, but she didn't think there would be a problem. She said that they would remove the uterus, which she said was tiny and not a problem, my ovary, tube and cervix and then sew me up inside. Instead of staples, she said she would stitch me so I would have more mobility. Then...she asked if I wanted Motrin or Fetenyl (sp?) and I asked for the second along with Benedryl and she said 'ok'. She said I would have a drip the day of and the next day. Catheter would come out the morning after surgery and they would get me up and walk then (one thing I really want!). She said 4 days in the hospital, no exception. And she said she would probably allow me to drive 1 week after surgery as long as I was off narcotics. But she said no lifting for 6 weeks and she really wanted me in bed for 2 weeks afterwards for the most part, but said that I could take short walks as long as I felt ok.

Things I am worried about:

1. Catheter. I know this sounds stupid, but I have had the catheter for all other surgeries and it hurt and I got infections.

2. Blood. They are going to give me more blood during the surgery and although I am not freaking about the blood transfusion the day before, I am about during.

3. Colon Clean. I did ask her if I could skip this because I have digestive problems, and she said that I could do clear liquids the day before and the day before that do a laxative. I had a colonoscopy the other week and ended up looking like the Exorcist as I puked out all of the junk they made me drink and didn't get cleaned the other end. They said I was probably allergic. Uck!

Things I didn't ask:

1. Will I bleed afterwards (vaginally)?
2. Sex. Is that 6 weeks too? And without a cervix, does it typically 'feel' the same?

What I am ok with:

1. I love my GYN and my surgeon. They both have seen my insides several times so I feel comfortable with both of them.

2. The hospital. Private rooms. Your own nurse. Wireless for the hubby so he can surf web and play games.

3. Is it weird that I can't wait to do nothing? I was worried earlier about not being able to do nothing, but now I am excited to not do housework, cook, work, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 12:18 AM

I totally understand the "Numb" thing. It is really hard to process. I"know" it is a big deal, but really how do you get your arms around. It sounds like you have handled it the same way I have, more matter of fact, I have my lists, my questions, my concerns, I make sure what needs to be done gets done but not a lot of emotion.(other than cranky toward my DH). Who knows maybe the floodgates will open up for us both after the surgery.

The not having ot do anything does sound GREAT doesn't it I wish you the best of luck and I will keep you in my thoughts.
Unread 04-19-2008, 12:58 AM

Hi TangledWishes,

This surgery seems to bring on many mixed emotions for everyone. Some go from being happy to sad and many just tend to deal with it matter of factly.

I remember being very up and down myself until about 3 days out then I became realistic with myself and stopped worrying about the what if's when I came to the realization that the life I was leading or should I say trying to lead really had no quality. I then decided I needed to take control of my life and get it back and if there were any differences deal with them as they come. I also did the liquid diet but I had to for 3 days so you got lucky! My doctor said it was easier on my body but I was given the option of liquid diet or enema.

Fortunately I had a very speedy and uneventful recovery which actually made me realise how long I'd been sick for. It has often been said here that waiting is the hardest and for me this was so true.

I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery also and just keep in mind that many of our hormones do go AWOL after surgery and sometimes we get the crying jags. It usually settles down but if not chat with your doctor.

Take care.........Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Numb is an emotion too Don't worry about why you feel numb - there's so much going on.

No, you're not weird for wanting to "not do anything". I was looking forward to the rest also ! And I enjoyed every minute of my 6 week recovery time.

Sex - yes, generally its 6 weeks until you're cleared. Your doc will confirm it at your 6 week post op.

Bleeding - I had a little bit of blood starting at day 7 post op. It slowly changed into a slow minor discharge until about week 5. Some people don't bleed at all, so bleed up to 6 weeks. My bleeding was never more than a thin pantiliner couldn't handle.

Best of luck with your surgery !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register