ovaries - to keep or not to keep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries - to keep or not to keep ovaries - to keep or not to keep

Unread 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
ovaries - to keep or not to keep

I am having a hysterectomy due to severe pelvic pain that my doctor and I have not been able to resolve by less invasive methods. I have endo and adenomyosis. We suspect it is the adeno causing my severe pain, but we cannot be sure. My dilema is do I have just my uterus removed and hope that takes care of my pain? Or do I take the ovaries too? I would hate to have to go through 2 surgeries, but I also do not like the thought of going into menopause at age 41. I am curious as to the decisions others in my position have and why. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Re: ovaries - to keep or not to keep

Hi,

I also have diagnosed endo and adeno ... I am not a candidate for HRT ... I'm doubtful about keeping both ovaries but hoping to keep at least one ... the plan has been to remove the tubes and remove endo from the ovaries if possible... (I have endo in the tubes and no need to keep and ovary pain from endo on both ovaries but hoping to save one)... my mother was still perimenopausal at 60 and I'm 49 and haven't begun that part of my life as yet...

you may want to read some of the posts on HRT and no HRT options if you are thinking of having the ovaries removed ...

Good luck,
Kathy
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Hi,

I became menopausal in the fall of 2003 after just 3 months chemotherapy for invasive breast cancer. Because I was undergoing chemo, I did not experience the so-called side effect too much because of the fatigue and I really couldn't tell what's caused by chemotherapy and what's caused by menopause. I was 43 years old at the time. Never could get pregnant - went through three infertility treatments and only resulted 3 uterine fibroids.

Do you have any personal/family cancer history? I received my free booklet (several weeks before my scheduled hysterectomy) from Fox Chase Cancer Center after calling their toll-free number 1-800-325-4145. The title of the book is "Ovarian Cancer Risk-reducing surgery: a Decision-making Resource." Because of my family/personal cancer history and my BRCA test result, I confirmed the decision to remove my ovaries after reading the very informing book.

You might want to give them a call and let them know about your scheduled surgery so the book can reach you in time. There might be other sources such as Internet websites where you can access similar information.

It is a tough personal decision. A lot of pros and cons to consider. You might also want to check with your family doctor/gynecologist and get their advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the info! I will call that number. I do have a family history of cancer, but it is not breast or ovarian cancer. It is pancreatic and stomach cancer. I will talk with my doctor about the risks with these types of cancer. Hope all is going well for you!
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Hi tnichols17,

I had a TAH for a large fibroid and don't really know much about endo and adeno, but I did spend ages making the decision about whether to keep my ovaries or not. In the past they used to take the ovaries away in the UK in women over 45 having a hyst, but more recently they leave them as they release hormones even after the menopause.

In the end I told my consultant that I wanted to keep them unless he decided during surgery that they needed to come out. I'm 46 and had not gone into menopause. He left my ovaries as he said they looked fine, even though I don't know my family history with cancer (I'm adopted).

However, something else to consider is that you still may go into menopause after your surgery if you leave your ovaries. I've had blood tests done and have gone into surgically induced menopause and so have had to go on to ERT. I'm still hoping that my ovaries have gone to sleep after the op and may wake up themselves at some point.

This is just my personal experience. I still think I made the right decision for me, as even though they have stopped working the ERT has been fine. However if you have endo can you take ERT? Good luck with your decision.
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:36 AM

I am scheduled to have my my hyst on 2/25 because of bleeding and fibroids. I have decided to keep my ovaries even though both my grandmothers died of ovarian cancer. I am only 42 and they died at a much later date. I am still worrying if I have made the right decision.
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:00 AM

tnichols17,

I had both ovaries removed. I did research, seemed it would have made a difference if I was younger.

DR recommended. My age 55, he did not want me to go thru multiple surgeries. My family cancer history, breast, prostate, colon, skin, he felt removal was a 'why not?' preventative measure.

I was surprised after surgery about my hormones flipping around. Since he started me on HRT months before the surgery, I figured I would not notice any change. I am post meno, about six years now. So those ovaries were still producing some level of hormones!

I am needing my HRT adjusted to my surprise.

HRT was a choice I had to make to assure a successful surgery and recovery. The ESTROGEN helps hold us together down there... Surgery for me was not an option, it was 'quick fix me!' due to blocked bowel issues. Rectocele and enterocele, plus the rest listed below.

The best to you in deciding what will be right for you.
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Thank you for all your advice and experiences. My ovaries at the moment are healthy, but I have endometriosis which is caused by estrogen which the ovaries produce. Thus my dilema. I would have to take ERT/HRT which would be at a much lower dose than than what my ovaries produce. I keep wavering back and forth on what to do. Taking out my uterus is fine with me. I am done having children and I also have a adenomyosis and my uterus is 2x as large as it should be as well as being boggy so it needs to come out due to the severe pain it causes. I am going to talk with my doctor about removing just one ovary. I don't know if that is possible or not. Reading other's experience truly helps me in my decision process. Thank you all so much
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:48 AM

I had left ovary removed in May 09 when I had my hyster. Dr. said the right one was healthy. Well this past weekend I started having severe abdominal pain. I figured it was one of two things - ovary or appendicitis. Well, X-rays indicated it was the appendix and U/S showed that it does involve my right ovary. This afternoon I am going to see the OB-Gyn. I'll let you know what happens. Thankfully I didn't wait years to get the pain checked out like the last time.
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:01 AM

After much reading before I had my hysterectomy a year ago, I decided to keep my ovaries. If there isn't a big family history of ovarian cancer, they protect you so much from heart disease and other things. My doctor actually suggested taking them as I was 48 Y/O. But I requested if they didn't look bad to leave them and I have had no problems 1 year out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register