New Concern Hypoglycemia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Concern Hypoglycemia New Concern Hypoglycemia

Unread 08-04-2013, 05:22 AM
New Concern Hypoglycemia

Ok .. This evening after 9pm I am not to have any solids and then nothing after Midnight on Monday. I am worried about that since I get hypoglycemic. Anyone have any experience with that? I bought a whole bunch of apple juice, and stuff with lots of sugar, but I don't know if there is something else I could buy just in case.
What if I pass out from low sugar? Will all these liquids be enuff to keep me going until surgery on Tuesday. OMG ... I'm getting so upset again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Re: New Concern Hyperglycemia

Call your doctor and tell him about the hypoglycemia. They should be used to dealing with this. It is very common and they definitely don't want your sugar to get too low because they can't operate then. I bet the nurse can tell you what to do. Try not to stress about it and just call early tomorrow morning. I am positive they can give you a suggestion or two.
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:12 AM

I'm also hypoglycemic and need to eat frequently. I was fine. Maybe try not to do too much. Conserve your energy. Make sure your last few meals have stuff that give you a long term hit... sultanas, banana, sweet potato... maybe google it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM

I am also hypoglycemic. Tell your surgeon and your anesthesiologist so they know. They may give you special instructions.

The day before surgery, I was allowed a light breakfast and lunch, then clear liquid diet after that, which included juices (apple, white grape juice, etc.), clear broths (chicken, vegetable), soda crackers, water, black tea, and jello. (I was also doing bowel prep.) Then nothing after midnight. The real bummer was that my surgery got pushed back 4 hours from 7 am to 11 am. Not what I needed! So, when my anesthesiologist called the day before to consult with me, I told her about my hypoglycemia and the push back of the surgery, and she told me to PUSH fluids, especially the juice, through 7 am surgery morning. I did just that, and I was fine.

Good luck with your surgery. I am sure all will go well. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I've got enough soda and juices with loads of carbs in them. My doc told me not to have anything solid after 9pm tonight. Tomorrow will be a loooong day!
God Bless
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:11 PM

I want to clarify to make sure we are understanding you. Your title and post states you are concerned about hyperglycemia. That is high sugar. Are you meaning hypoglycemia as (((marestail))) mentioned?

I am diagnosed with hypoglycemia and have had to go through a liquid diet and bowel prep with it. What I did was alternate Gatorade, water, Beef Broth/Beef Consumme, and Jello Jigglers (as those are thicker and more like eating) all day long.

You need to have small amounts of liquid or jello all day long rather than drink a large amount at any given time. You also need a liquid with protein or your sugar is going to extra terrible. Juice is pretty much a for those with sugar issues and you shouldn't overdo them even on a liquid diet. You also need to make sure your doctor says soda is okay as it is not for everyone. Also, remember that caffeine can affect blood sugar.

Additionally, while you need to stay hydrated, the more water you drink the lower your blood sugar can be. All extra water during a liquid diet can also lower your electrolytes. So while you need plenty of water, Gatorade or a sports drink of some kind along with the water is wise. It may be a better choice than juice, too. But again, don't forget a lot of broth or something with ingredients other than sugar, bubbles, and food coloring. Even fat will help as it will slow down how fast things are converted to glucose to try to keep your sugar a bit more balanced.

You will want to be careful about your activity level as well. Doing "stuff" could lower your blood sugar, too.

Here is an article with some diet tips that might help, too: Liquid Diet - What Can I Eat?

Does your doctor know of your sugar issues? S/he may have some other instructions for you. Definitely let your anesthesiologist know about the sugar concern as it could change when you are given your IV. The info was not passed on well for my last surgery and I paid for it. The woman before me ended up taking hours extra in OR, so instead of my surgery being at 10 AM it was at 3 PM. By 1 PM when it dawned on everyone, "ACK"!, an anesthesiologist was sent in to put me on an IV. By then, I was pretty sick with a horrendous headache!

If you have hyperglycemia instead of hypoglycemia, then you are likely a diabetic and your surgeon should know this an adjust your liquid diet accordingly. It also means you are likely to have the first surgery slot of the morning as it is too risky to have your surgery delayed because of the extra risks involved.

Unread 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM

I've had hypoglycemic episodes from time to time, so I was worried about low blood sugar, too. My surgery was in another city, two hours away by bus. This meant that the morning of the surgery, I had to walk almost two miles from my apartment to the bus station. Then when I got to my destination, it was another mile to the hospital. I kept thinking, what happens if I pass out while I'm walking?

I was told I could have clear liquids right up until midnight the night before surgery, so I chugged down as much vegetable broth and light-coloured fruit juice as I could hold. At 11:59 PM, I was still drinking!

As it happened, I made it to the hospital at 9:30 AM without any mishap, and everything was fine. I was rolled into the OR about noon, and when I woke up again, it was evening and I had an IV delivering glucose and who knows what else. :-)

Good luck!
Unread 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM

Oh Goodness. Did I say Hyper. I mean hypo. Low sugar. I'm told I'm a diabetic, I take no meds just watch the diet and take my readings twice a day. I myself consider myself as borderline.
I've been known to watch my carbs to the point that since I don't much at a sitting I get dizzy, sweaty and feel faint, in fact came very very close to that. I usually run to the frig and start eating ice cream or the first thing that's available since I don't keep anything sugar based ( soda,juice ) and then I'm fine.
Thanks for the tips ladies. Tomorrow is the day.
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM

They should put you on an iv with glucose right away. They did me. Couldnt eqt after midnight, and I was scheduled at 2pm and didnt go in til 5:30 for surgery and didnt get out of surgery til 10:30pm , But it was fine because of the iv.
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilona16 View Post
Oh Goodness. Did I say Hyper. I mean hypo. Low sugar.
I will edit the title and post!

Quote:
I'm told I'm a diabetic,
Does your surgeon know this? It will make a difference in your care at the hospital. There are several extra risks involved for patients with diabetes no matter how controlled their sugars normally are.

You need to let the anesthesiologist know as it could affect your anesthesia. Some choices are better than others as they allow the anesthesiologist to monitor your blood sugar levels better and could help with your immediate post surgery blood sugar levels.

The medications used are also affected by being a diabetic. Some can affect blood sugar levels.

Don't be surprised if you need insulin in the hospital. Blood sugar levels can fluctuate following a sugar and could require the use of insulin even if you are normally able to control your levels.

When was the last time you had an A1C test?

Though you consider yourself borderline, it is very important that your entire medical team be aware that medically you have been told you have diabetes. The condition can very much impact your surgery and prognosis if it is not managed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejahthoris78
They should put you on an iv with glucose right away.
Not always at all. As I shared, for my last surgery the IV was not started until 3 hours after my surgery should have began. That is why it is important to alert all medical personnel about any sugar issues. For me, I was far more concerned about another health issue and spaced staying on top of the sugar concern.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register