New here and scared of anethesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and scared of anethesia New here and scared of anethesia

Unread 07-18-2002, 04:56 PM
New here and scared of anethesia

Hi Ashlynne

I've been under anesthesia three previous times and never had any problems.

The first time the anesthesiologist was a very cute young guy so that was pleasantly distracting He asked me to count down backwards from 100 and I don't think I got very far before falling asleep. I have no memories from the second time. As for the third time the anesthesiologist was great. She asked a lot of questions and explained everything patiently and in simple terms. And in a good example of bed side manner she checked on me the following morning while making her rounds.

Please try not to be afraid. Ask a lot of questions, even if they seem silly. You should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2002, 05:25 PM
Ask as many Q's as you need

Dear Ashlynne,

Welcome! The other sisters are right. You will do well once you are "on the other side."

BEFORE you go to the castle, please find out as much as you can about your body and medical history, and family history. Then armed with that knowledge, ask as many questions as you need to -- of your gyn/surgeon and the pre-admit people at the hospital and the anesthesiologist. If you are allergic to shellfish, for example, tell everyone on the medical team so they will not use anything containing iodine on your skin or as part of the anesthesia. If you've had a nausea reaction to demerol or valium in the past or any other drug, tell all the DRs & nurses. (They will also ask about antibiotic allergies, etc.)

I was so scared of general anesthesia that I had put off the hyst for 3 years. The only time I remembered having general anesthesia was 9 years ago for sinus surgery (1 hr, outpatient, home that night) and the anesthesiologist was a cute Egyptian doctor with thick chest hair! When he asked me if I was scared, I said, "No, I won't be -- not if you will let me pet the fur on your chest!" Can remember him laughing, telling me to take a deep breath and that was it, until I woke up in recovery.

Four days before my SAH, I looked at my will and power of attorney again, and filled out a health proxy (stipulating my husband and grown stepdaughter could make medical decisions for me if things didn't go well). I was so scared I didn't sleep.

For my hyst 3 weeks ago today, the anesthesiologist was a young doctor whose first name was Igor. I asked him about the drugs. (He said, "Demerol in the IV, some gas, some other nice drugs to make you sleep, maybe some morphine.") He looked funny when I asked: "No frozen margarita?" Then I reminded him "no iodine stuff" and asked him about himself ("Married? Kids?"). My surgeon came in and she commented that she knew his wife, an OB/gyn whose first name is Olga. (The combo of Drs. Igor and Olga made me think of Boris and Natasha of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" fame, but I kept that to myself.)

My doctor led me into the operating room. I hopped on the table. The nurses took off my gowns, covered me with blankets. When my head hit the pillow, I saw Igor's long arms and then his large hands bringing the mask down. (The arm IV was started more than an hour before my surgery.) Over the mask, I saw my Dr. in her scrubs at my feet.

The next people I saw were in recovery -- my DH and a very cute recovery room nurse named Harry. When my DH asked how I was, I responded with a slightly off-color question: "I'm fine. But how are your Cocoa-Pops?" (My pet name for part of his anatomy.) After what seemed like a long time after Harry introduced himself, he asked me: "Do you know who I am?" My answer: "Yes, you're Harry, the cute recovery room nurse."

So I made it through general anesthesia & surgery, apparently with all my brain cells intact. And SO CAN YOU!

Best of luck & s,
Katrina02
Unread 07-18-2002, 05:54 PM
Anesthesia Funny Happening

I just remembered this from my surgery.

After I got up on the table, the OR nurse, who was wearing these funky cateye glasses, placed the oxygen mask over my face.

Then the anesthesiologist said, "Okay, you are going to have the nicest sleep now."

And I distinctly remember thinking, "No, I'm not going to go to sleep, I'm going to stay awake as long as I can."

I blinked twice, then thought, "Oh, what the heck!" And the next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery, looking at that nurse in those same funky cateye glasses.

I don't know why I had decided that I wasn't going to go to sleep! What weird ideas you get at times like that!

Looking back now, I can't figure out why on earth I was so afraid of going to sleep. There wasn't anything to it. As Karen said, it was just a second before I was waking up in recovery.

You'll do fine. Just don't try to stay awake!

s,

Lisa
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:46 PM
New here and scared of anethesia

Frankly, I am so tired of not sleeping the last few weeks, I am looking forward to the anesthesia tomorrow.

LSH 7/19

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register