Cold-Is this a hormone thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold-Is this a hormone thing? Cold-Is this a hormone thing?

Unread 03-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Cold-Is this a hormone thing?

Hello Ladies, I was curious about something. I am 3 weeks post-op today and the past 2-3 days I get so cold, I can't get warm. I have always worn 2 sweaters or a shirt & sweater to keep warm but now I also have to add a blanket most of the day/evening. I feel like my legs, feet, & hands are extremely cold verses the rest of my body. I do have hot flashes 1-2 times a day, knowing this is a hormone thing, but is being really cold also part of it? My Dr. never mentioned anything about this. I've also experienced alot more back & leg pain this week. Perhaps it has nothing to do with my surgery? Have any of you also had this happen? Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 03:27 PM

Hi Annie!

Before treating my surgical menopause symptoms with HRT, I experienced "cold flashes" in addition to hot flashes. Actually, the sessions of feeling like I was freezing were of a longer duration than a "flash." I asked my gyn about it, and he said that although they were not as common as hot flashes by any means, periods of extreme cold are a sign of hormonal disruption.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 03-22-2006, 03:33 PM

Have you checked your temp? Maybe you are experiencing some low grade fever as I did. It's not unusual, as I was told. I would wake up covered in sweat (I have lots of night sweats), but could not get warm. During the day, I stayed under blankets with a small heater nearby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Have you checked to see if you are anemic? I am very cold natured and having hot flashes mixed with cold spells. What about low blood sugar, low blood pressure are you taking HRT. I am not. Are you getting some form of excerise to keep muscle warm and active. I hoe you feel better.
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:44 PM

This has been happening to me too. I'll sit around in sweats and wrapped up in a blanket while the rest of the family is in short sleeves. I'm on the Vivelle patch, and It has gotten better the past few days. I checked my temp, and there was no fever. This is actually more annoying than the hot flashes.
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:12 PM

Ditto on the iron. The cold can be a symptom of anemia. I am always cold unless I am having a flash. Hope you find the answer for you.
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Mine was all hormonal!! I have had the COLDEST feet! I had been using a heating pad at night on my feet - finally in the last couple of days I am doing a little better. Feet are not as cold and my hot flashes have disappeared!! Even my shoulders and knees are not aching as much.
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:00 PM

Do people who keep their ovaries go through this?
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:19 PM

I kept my ovaries.... they are still hibernating so I am on replacement at the moment. Still waiting for for a wake up call!!
Unread 03-23-2006, 05:24 AM

Wow! I have been cold since my surgery- definately NOT normal for me! I kept my ovaries, so never considered this could be hormonal. I'll add that to my list to ask my doctor about!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register