At the end of my rope ~ hoping someone can share some advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At the end of my rope ~ hoping someone can share some advice At the end of my rope ~ hoping someone can share some advice

Unread 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
At the end of my rope ~ hoping someone can share some advice

Hello all. I have been lurking here for the past few weeks. I am posting now because I am really feeling at the end of my rope.

I am 31 years old and 4 weeks post op TAH. Both ovaries removed. While in the hospital, my bladder wasn't wanting to work properly, so I had 4 caths inserted. I have always had a sensitive bladder, so I knew this was going to be a recipe for disaster. About two weeks ago, I started having the sensation that I need to pee ALL THE TIME. I can hold my urine, and I have no leakage, but the constant sensation is there. I went in for a UTI screening yesterday, but it came back negative. The midwife who examined me said she saw some yeast around my urethra and suggested I use some Monistat cream on the area. I tried this last night and today, but I am not noticing any difference.

I actually experienced something like this two years ago. I went to doctors and urologists... nothing. It finally went away on its own, but I would not be exaggerating to say that nearly everyday of the past two years I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Now that it's happened, I don't feel like I have the strength to handle it right now. I am tired and sore, my poor body is trying to recover from surgery, and I cannot stand the extra discomfort of feeling like I constantly have to go. I know it sounds like a silly, trivial thing, but it is literally making me crazy. I feel physically ill. Add to this the hormonal upheaval my body is experiencing, and it's a toxic mix. I am very, very depressed and crying all the time. I don't want to leave the house; my appetite is gone. My DH is amazing, but he is getting tired of trying to "pump me up" every couple of hours-- and I don't blame him. I am just so worried that this is the new "normal" for me.

I so apologize for such a negative and whiny first post. I guess I am hoping that someone can share some advice or an encouraging story with me.

Thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby*red View Post
Hello all. I have been lurking here for the past few weeks. I am posting now because I am really feeling at the end of my rope.

I am 31 years old and 4 weeks post op TAH. Both ovaries removed. While in the hospital, my bladder wasn't wanting to work properly, so I had 4 caths inserted. I have always had a sensitive bladder, so I knew this was going to be a recipe for disaster. About two weeks ago, I started having the sensation that I need to pee ALL THE TIME. I can hold my urine, and I have no leakage, but the constant sensation is there. I went in for a UTI screening yesterday, but it came back negative. The midwife who examined me said she saw some yeast around my urethra and suggested I use some Monistat cream on the area. I tried this last night and today, but I am not noticing any difference.

I actually experienced something like this two years ago. I went to doctors and urologists... nothing. It finally went away on its own, but I would not be exaggerating to say that nearly everyday of the past two years I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Now that it's happened, I don't feel like I have the strength to handle it right now. I am tired and sore, my poor body is trying to recover from surgery, and I cannot stand the extra discomfort of feeling like I constantly have to go. I know it sounds like a silly, trivial thing, but it is literally making me crazy. I feel physically ill. Add to this the hormonal upheaval my body is experiencing, and it's a toxic mix. I am very, very depressed and crying all the time. I don't want to leave the house; my appetite is gone. My DH is amazing, but he is getting tired of trying to "pump me up" every couple of hours-- and I don't blame him. I am just so worried that this is the new "normal" for me.

I so apologize for such a negative and whiny first post. I guess I am hoping that someone can share some advice or an encouraging story with me.

Thank you for listening.
This is the perfect place to get it off your chest. We are all dealing with something and it is good to let it out.

I have had the same issue as you. UTI test negative with UTI symptoms, and oh the crying. Anyway, I saw my doctor and I am leaving residue in my bladder, he's not sure why. He asked me to hang tight until next appointment and hopefully it will rectify itself.

Well, I came home and cried. Then I started checking on the internet for help and came across the Bladder diet.
Which is basically, no alcohol, no fizzy drinks, nothing acidic (fruit juice, fruit etc), no spicy food. I have been doing this for two days and it seems to make a huge difference to me. I don't mind drinking water and decaf coffee it it means not having that feeling of needing to pee all the time...

Hope this is of some help to you. I had my own moan a few days ago. You can check my earlier postings.

Good luck.
Unread 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM

ruby*red, let it out!!! Sometimes just typing it out makes you feel better. We've all been there at some point through all this.

Have you tried flushing your system with water. I do that every few days, drink nothing but water, and it makes me feel much better.

Hang in there~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Re: At the end of my rope ~ hoping someone can share some advice

ruby*red

I'm so sorry you're struggling at the moment but you're not alone and I hope that more ((sisters)) who can relate will be along soon to share. A hysterectomy is major surgery and it's still relatively early days for you.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? It's packed with information, including Checkpoints and some articles that I hope will help.

Please take good care and rest as much as possible. Also, don't hesitate to contact your doctor again if things don't gradually improve or you find you cannot cope.

Sending all good wishes and positive thoughts your way as you continue to heal.

Unread 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM

My bladder was very irritated from the surgery. It was a bit better after the 4 week mark & back to normal after about the 8th week. There is an over the counter Urinary track medication you might be able to take (you can ask your doctor or nurse). You might also want to try some herbal tea. Some of them can really make you feel better. Best wishes.
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

ruby*red,
Reading your post was like reading a description of what I am going through. Believe me when I say I understand what you are going through. Just last night I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack. I felt that having to deal with these symptoms was like too much on top of all the pain and issues that are a part of a TAH with ovaries and cervix removed as well. I was not ready, or did not think I was also going to have to deal with a bladder problem. Yesterday I went to the urologist, and today back to my MD. I am taking AZO (over the counter medication, but approved by my MD), Cipro, and yesterday started with a medication called Vesicare which it is supposed to help with the frequency.
I hope you feel better soon. I was told to just give my bladder some time to heal and to get used to its new environment.

ballerina1
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM

So sorry you are having these problems, and I wish you the best for relief as soon as possible.

Unread 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Like Seabutterfly suggested, check with your doctor about over the counter stuff. AZO has worked for me in the past, and even better something called Cystex. Good luck!
Unread 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM

I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to send a hug and my hope that this issue resolves itself soon.

Please keep us posted!
Unread 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Dear Ruby,
Like Ireland1996, I too found and tried the Bladder Diet. While the food on the diet is pretty limited, it does work. At least it worked for me. I stayed on pretty strictly for about three weeks and then gradually re-introduced my regular foods back. starting with the least irritating. Now, I'm back to all my normal foods. If I notice a little irritation, I'll cut out the worst of my "sins" for a little while: my favorite drink, lemon water, and all caffeine.
Good luck. It is a long road we are on. Wish you the best.
MizFish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register