Working out!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working out!! Working out!!

Unread 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Working out!!

I am almost 3 weeks post op and am feeling great! I started walking 5 days post op and am now at 4 miles per day with no real fatigue or soreness. I did push ups yesterday(on an incline to make them easier) could that hurt anything? I don't feel any pain other than my chest ha but started worrying when I read some things on your site. I don't want to tear the vaginal cuff or cause any adhesions. I go back to work in 7 more days. Just trying to get back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Re: Working out!!

Hi There. I'm feeling like you are and I'm two weeks post op.
I only had my catheter removed yesterday due to a bladder cut in surgery, but even with that I was doing 3X20min walks a day and starting to feel really good. I had a doctor review yesterday and he said strictly walking only for 6 weeks plus deep abdominal / pelvic floor exercises only. I have friends who are physios and they are saying the same thing - walking only or risk problems down the track.
Unread 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM

It would be best to check in with your dr as to if it's ok to do push ups. I found it helpful to be specific when asking, so you might specify push ups, and anything else you want to do instead of just saying something like "working out" Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM

You need to check with your doc on this one. I was walking 3-6 miles a day when I saw my doc at four weeks. He cleared me to run, cycle, swim and lift up to 30 lbs - but still said to wait until six weeks before attempting abdominal exercise or lifting more than 30 lbs.
Unread 01-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Hi! You and I share a surgery date.

I had my first post-op today, and was cleared for walking, stationary bike, swimming, yoga, pilates and exercises like squats, push ups, dips, that didn't include weights. He said light abdominal work only - like the pelvic tilt. No crunches, planking, leg lifts.

Like you, I've been walking, walking, and today, I did an 18 minute gentle restorative yoga session specifically for post abdominal surgery. It felt SO GOOD. But then I had to take a nap - because recovery.
Unread 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM

I would ask the doctor before doing push ups again. I was told only walking until 4 weeks, then I could ride my bike (regular bike). He only told me 4 weeks for that because I specifically asked. At 8 weeks I was finally able to add my strength training back in, but I asked before doing that too. My doctor's office planted the fear in my heart of going back to surgery for hernia repair so I was very careful.

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Working out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaramac View Post
I am almost 3 weeks post op and am feeling great! I started walking 5 days post op and am now at 4 miles per day with no real fatigue or soreness. I did push ups yesterday(on an incline to make them easier) could that hurt anything? I don't feel any pain other than my chest ha but started worrying when I read some things on your site. I don't want to tear the vaginal cuff or cause any adhesions. I go back to work in 7 more days. Just trying to get back to normal.
Hi , I'm 4 weeks post op and apart from pain also feel really good. Prior to surgery I did X FIT 5 days a week sometimes more than one session a day, so very fit prior. My dr said NO gym for me for 6 weeks 😭. You would be best holding off on the abdominal exercises, you are still healing and could cause permanent damage or set your recovery back . I had TAH and I'm itching to get back into my X FIT life but for now walking is it until I'm cleared hopefully by 6 weeks. Please be careful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register