Nervous in NorCal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous in NorCal Nervous in NorCal

Unread 07-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Nervous in NorCal

My lapriscopically assisted supercervical abdominal hyterectomy is scheduled for Thursday, and the waiting is so hard. I go in tomorrow for my pre-op with the surgeon and I will know then what I can be doing to prepare myself. Any suggestions you can offer that helped you physically or mentally prepare would be greatly appreciated. It's so nice to know you are out there somewhere, and it is comforting to know that others have done this too! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Nervous in NorCal

This board has been my saving grace. I am much calmer since I can come here and chat with everyone. There are so remarkable people here.

As far as waiting goes...try to keep busy.

I am off to the castle tomorrow for an LSH. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Best wishes!
Unread 07-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Nervous in NorCal

Breathing is very important No, seriously. My surgeon instructed me to do deep breathing exercises for the three weeks prior to surgery as it's supposed to help post-op.

Save some special treats for the days immediately pre-op. I bought a bunch of books for post-op, but one is earmarked for the day before surgery/day of to help me get through the last 24 hours. Also, I bought a ton of sugar free pudding mixes for the coming week- I can not possibly feel deprived on a day when I can 'pig out' on pudding!

Arrange your recuperation space now if you haven't already. Give it a test drive. Do you have sufficient space to store all the things you want to-hand? Is it comfy? Pillows are cheap, don't be afraid to buy more than you think you'll need.

I just got three chillows. O M G. I'm constantly the hot one in the room and these things are marvelous. I slept really well last night and the chillow stayed 'cool' for twelve hours of sleep, though I did rotate it at 8:30a to get a new cool edge. (I have insomnia, I take my sleep where and when I can get it)

Try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. If a worry pops up that you can do something about, write down a note with your plan. If it's something you have no control over or way to influence, take a deeeeeeep breath and then acknowledge the fear and try to push it out of your mind. Distract your brain by sniffing spices/perfumes/candles, making lists of other things, or giving yourself a quick scalp massage. (My standard advice for people trying to quit smoking)

Don't be afraid to do a little bawling. I've been weepy at the drop of a hat these last few days, as my own day approaches. The guys just smile and hug me and wait for the weeps to pass.

You'll get through this and soon you'll be telling us that yes, the waiting IS the worst part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Nervous in NorCal

Waiting for surgery is one of the hardest part's.My surgery is on the 19th,I've been cooking and freezing meal's,cleaning and putting together what I will need for my castle visit.Working outside,reading,long bath's and just sitting somewhere quiet with a glass of tea has helped me alot.And being here with my sister's is a life saver,the support and resource's,and the fact of knowing you are not alone in this make's it a little easier.Good luck with your pre-op,let us know how it goes.
Unread 07-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Nervous in NorCal

Thanks, and good luck with your procedure, hope to hear how well it went in a few days!
Unread 07-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Nervous in NorCal

mmr1972 - Good luck to you! I'm having my LSH the next day (7/18) after you. Hope all goes well. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, and let us know. I'll do the same when I feel up to it.
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Nervous in NorCal

This site has some great resources for you on what to ask at your pre op as well as what you might need at the castle. I used it all and found I was over prepared but better than being caught off guard! Like everyone else said, stay busy and prepare for your post op time. Just remember you are the princess and whatever would make you feel comfortable go for it!! Best of luck
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Nervous in NorCal

You're getting lots of good ideas here and there are more in the hints section. I haven't had my hysterectomy yet but I have had 3 surgeries this year - a D&C and LEEP in January, a knee arthroscopy in March and a procedure that was supposed to be my hysterectomy but turned into just a laparoscopic RSO in June.

I did a number of things to prepare. The things that I think were most helpful were getting in good shape physically and doing guided imagery. I'm usually in pretty good shape but I was having problems with anemia plus I injured my knee last November. I had been less active and had gained a few pounds over the holidays. I decided to focus on eating a healthy low calorie diet and exercising more (physical therapy, yoga, walking, stationery bike and elliptical trainer, and lifting weights plus some running after my knee rehab was complete ). I worked with my orthopedist, my physical therapist and my yoga teachers on what I could do. I was able to lose 22 pounds and get in better shape than I had been in before my injury. That helped physically and emotionally.

I also did some guided imagery that focused on preparing for and recovering from surgery. I used a couple of commercially available CDs for that. I'm not sure if I can say what they were here but if you're curious, please let me know. You don't have to use a recording but it's easier and more pleasant. I used them at home to prepare and on the morning of surgery in the APU while I was waiting. I also used them after surgery. I plan to use them again for the hysterectomy next month.

One thing to remember is that you don't need to do everything. I'm impressed with how much cleaning, cooking, organizing ,etc. some sisters are able to do pre-op. I decided that with my job and the other things going on in my life, I could live with a house that wasn't party clean and with eating some take-out Chinese or Lean Cuisine. Each of us is different and has to find our own best ways to cope.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Frances

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register