Bowel prep question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep question Bowel prep question

Unread 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Bowel prep question

I'm a newbie here and need some help! I'm having a SAH on June 14th. My bowel prep says to take 2 bottles of magnesium citrate, first one at 2pm, next one at 3pm, followed by two enema's in the evening. I was buying my products today and the pharmacist happened to be walking by, asks what I'm doing. I tell her and she was floored by the amount of Magnesium citrate I am taking. She says it is way too much and could be dangerous. My doctor's office says the pharmacist is wrong. Needless to say I am now a little freaked out.

Is the amount I'm taking normal?

This site is such a wealth of info, thank you all for sharing your stories. You have helped me so much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Re: Bowel prep question

Maybe double check the size of the bottle. I know when I did one for a colonoscopy it was two 3oz size bottles but when I looked at them another time I noticed 10oz size bottles. Good luck!
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM

I don't have an answer to your question about bowel prep but just wanted to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM

I've done it twice, different Drs, printed out instructions. One even handed them over to me. And many women have posted here about the same instructions so it seems standard. For a colonoscopy I used GoLytely, 4 liters of it, so Mg Citrate seemed like a walk in the park! The bottles jeld a cup or so, not sure the exact oz, but there was only one size sold. I think the pharmacist was mistaken.
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM

My directions call for 2 - 10 oz bottles. I did the 3 oz for my colonoscopy and thought that was bad. Sheesh! I can't imagine what I'm in for with 20 oz. and 2 enemas. Guess I won't be sleeping much that night.

Thank you for your responses, I feel alot better. I have been lurking here for a couple of months. Wish I hadn't waited so long to post, but part of me has been living in denial. Pre-op admissions called yesterday and that is when it finally it hit me. I keep telling myself if I can get though brain tumor surgery, I can get through this.
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Bowel prep question

My dr's instructions say to take 2 8oz bottles...of magnesium citrate...although they come in 10 oz bottles..I just drank "most" of the bottle.Also, its easier if you chill the bottles and drink through a straw. 4 stool softeners and then later an enema...I was really freaked out and kinda grossed out at the same time. But remember they wouldn't tell you to go through all this if it wasen't important. Trust me after its all done and over with you will see it wasen't as bad as you thought! Hugs...good luck to you. Just making sure you know that this is what my doctor suggested for me. So hopefully I eased some of your worry.
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Thank you Silverkiss! You definitely eased my concerns.
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Silverkiss is right. I had a colonoscopy in December and chilled the 2 bottles, thinking it would be better tasting. Even though it was a mind game with myself to get the required amount drank, I shudder to think what they would have tasted like if they were warm....yuch!! If I ever have a question about doctor orders or pharmacist comments, I always check with another doc or another pharmacist, if my doc isn't available to explain it to me, such as a clinic or er or nurse hotline. they usually can let me know what the "facts" are. prepping for these tests are way yuchier, if that is a word, than the actual test. After all, we get to go to lala land during the test typically so instead try to focus on where you are going to go on your mini lala land vacation.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register