Are granny panties really needed? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are granny panties really needed? Are granny panties really needed?

Unread 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Re: Are granny panties really needed?

Thank you for the reminder of the back scratcher its going on my list as well !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 02:07 PM

no panties are best at night (I'm 5 days out now) and when I'm wearing them, I wear my bikini panties very low - I don't even like wearing sweat pants right now, so I don't - everything seems to bother my swelly belly
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Love - Is your swollen belly as big now as it was before the surgery? This us something I'm worried about. I don't want it any bigger!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

oh you do need the grannie panties.. but at night go with out.. I am almost 6 weeks and i still am wearing them. you can't get back into your reguar undies over a swollen tummy. I tried and i had go take them off going across my stomach. felt very uncomfortable.. had TAH Dec. 2
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Ok - how long does swelly belly last?
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Snoodle, depends on the person. Unfortunately, no one can tell you as we are all different. I had barely any swelling. I fit in my clothes right away but the fact that I had a huge fibroid that distended my stomach helped. Some pants are now too big in the waist. I do notice a bit of swelling at the end of the day but nothing that makes much of a difference in the fit of my clothes. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

I never needed the granny panties.I used the disposable ones at the hospital and then at home I went right back to my thongs and rolled them down once at the waist. I had a vertical incision that started right at the pubic bone and then it went to my belly button.I didn't use a binder all that much in the beginning but now that I am up and about more I can tell it really helps with the swelly belly and I'd rather have it on than not.
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:25 AM

I haven't worn them. I can't stand to have anything pressing on my belly so the binder thing sounds horrible! I am 3 weeks out and I can't wear my pants yet. Yoga pants or sweats only. I did use a heating pad and it really helped. I am a thong girl myself. My best advice is to wear something really loose. I didn't get a binder from the hospital. Good luck!!
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanslady View Post
Love - Is your swollen belly as big now as it was before the surgery? This us something I'm worried about. I don't want it any bigger!!
Mine is way bigger yet I have lost wieght. I can't go back to work (I'm 3 weeks out) because I just can not stand having anything touch it. I look silly walking around with my pants rolled down but it hurts to have anything touch it for long. Any time I have gone out for a few hours I get huge. So...Although I do not want a huge belly, I have one but think about it...this is major surgery. I wish you the best of luck. This is just temporary the results are forever . I know you are scared, At least I sure was. But this site is awesome. It always reminds me to slow down. Good luck!
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Yes on granny panties! I bought the "support" panties from this site a week ago - they came within a few days of the order and I LOVE them! They do help to hold in the belly somewhat and feel great! So glad that I took my current measurements (not pretty) before ordering or I would have definitely ordered too small of a size and it would not have worked at all. The nice big undies keep my clothes from brushing along the incision, so that is great for me. I wear them almost all the time.

I'd had to give up on nice small panties and thongs there for some time because of the problem bleeding which got to be happening all the time prior to the surgery, so invested in some "boy shorts" that were comfy and could accommodate a big pad if needed. Wore those after coming home and they were fine also. I just feel more supported in these control-type of granny panties. They are by Bali and I really love them.

I feel so behind as I never got on this site until nearly 2 weeks after my surgery. I had no idea of the multitude of things that would happen that I was not prepared for - the swelly belly, problems sleeping, night sweats (kept ovaries, but still happening), still feeling so sore and tired (3 1/2 weeks post-op).

Prior to surgery, my belly had been fairly flat - that's just not the area where I tend to put on weight. Now, however, it's SO not flat! It's like a post-pregnancy belly, only I was able to get rid of that faster than this is going...glad that it's winter here and that I can get away with wearing loose fleecy sweatshirts and pants, as in summer it would not work out.

One nice thing is that I was able to sleep without panties on for (just in case) for the first time in months - it felt weird and great. While I am freaked out by all of the negative by-products of the surgery, which I was not prepared for, I am trying to look at the positives and focus on those. The other thing is that I have gone over three weeks with no bleeding! Can't remember the last time that has happened!

By the way, my hospital did not give me any belly band. That probably would have been nice, though. I hadn't been sure about buying the one on this site so put it off - wasn't sure if I'd get kind of a muffin-top around the upper edge of it. So went with the control panties and glad I did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register