I need help! Laparascopic Hysterectomy. Please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help! Laparascopic Hysterectomy. Please! I need help! Laparascopic Hysterectomy. Please!

Unread 01-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I need help! Laparascopic Hysterectomy. Please!

I just went to my Doctor yesterday for our final appointment to discuss my options. We came up with hysterectomy leaving my ovaries intact. I am only 28 years old. My mother had a hysterectomy at the age of 29 also. Anyways, One thing I forgot to ask my doctor, how do they get the uterus out if they are doing a laparascopy? It is not a vaginal hysterectomy she said I would have three incisions in my belly and that's it. But it is puzzling me how are they going to get my cervix and uterus out?
Please help!!!!!!!
Thanks
Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2006, 08:41 AM

There is a site that shows how they do this and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. They cut the uterus and cervix into pieces and put it out through your incisions. It is supposed to be a new cutting edge type surgery with very little complications. You heal faster and are out of the hospital quicker. Some do this as a day surgery type thing where they go home that very day they have the surgery. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you the site to log on to so you can see it. Very interesting!!
Unread 01-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Rachel-
Under the pre-op articles, there is a link where you can actually watch the procedure being performed:
http://www.or-live.com/McLeodHealth/...x.cfm?r=orlive

If that is too graphic for you (I didn't think it was too bad actually), check out:

http://www.hysterectomyoptions.com/dtcf/

This also gives information about the laparoscopic procedure. Hope that helps!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Ok Rachael, here goes. Provided the uterus is not swollen by fibroids or attached to other organs by adhesions (unlikely if you have no previous abdominal surgery) the surgeon usually has two options. 1: to deliver the uterus via the vagina. 2: to disect the uterus into manageable portions and remove through the laparoscopy incisions. The good news is that although this type of op appears to take a little longer, the research (there isn't that much) suggests that women tend to recover a little quicker if they are able to access this option. You dont say if the surgeon is taking the cervix, if he/she is, then they may well deliver the uterus via the vaginal route. You really need to check this out with your surgeon for your own peace of mind. My surgeon got a little ahead of himself and tried a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy but then had to convert to an abdominal proceedure, so I had lots of incisions. If you are anything like me, I always came away from appointments never having asked the questions I needed to know but in the end, I found that after the first week, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and actually the pain and discomfort were outweighed by the benefits. In my own experience, modern surgery is really state of the art and I can't praise my surgeon highly enough. I hope this has helped a little bit, I do know how this type of surgery provokes lots of anxiety. Take care./
Unread 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM

I did a ton of research on procedures because I wanted the least invasive surgery possible. I called my Dr. and asked if she could perform a SupraCervical Hysterectomy - totally laproscopic, I would have been back to work in 2 weeks. She can perform that type of surgery (takes special training) but sadly, not on me. I have had too many abdominal surgeries, C-sections, gall bladder, appendix etc. So I have to go the route of the TAH, which is OK, not ideal, but OK and the benefits will be astronomical.

I have a list of questions...28 now to ask at my pre op appointment. Questions are good. Knowledge is power.

Good luck. T.
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Wow! The link that CallieKitten put on her post is amazing! It is very graphic to watch the procedure, but amazing. This hopefully is the future of all hysterectomies.
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Hi Confused1977,

I had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

The LSH is a cutting edge laparoscopic hyst in the gyneo world. Not as many Drs are trained to do since it it requires more medical training. It is a less invasive hyst and therefore there is generally a shorter recovery time in post-op. As the other ladies talked about, the surgery has two small hip incisions (sometimes 3) and a belly button incision. From what I understand, a laparoscope camera is put through the belly button incision and images are projected unto a T.V. camera in the surgery room so the Dr can get a good view for surgery.

Here are two links that go over the LSH surgery:

http://www.laparoscopicsupracervicalhysterectomy.com/

http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html

If one or both ovaries and the cervix are retained - as with a LSH - there is a chance of a ~mini-period~ in post op. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period. Ladies who post with a mini-period say it generally requires only a panty liner. You might talk to your Dr. about the mini-period and cauterization.

Best wishes.

Mary
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:43 AM

I am having a LAVH w/ BSO tomorrow and it was explained to me that they will take everything out thru the vagina..If my doc runs into any complications then he will have to go thru the abdomen..
I already know that I am only going to have to spend one night in the hospital..Now I work in the emergency room of the hospital and am going to take about 2 to 3 weeks off after my surgery..
I also enjoyed the other links that have been left by the other ladies...Thank you for the great info...
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM

Rachel-

I am having the same procedure (LSH) on Feb. 1 and I just wanted to say good luck to you! Everyone is different regarding how much info they want to know. My doctor was way too graphic in her description to me, and it was hard at first, but I am over it now Find out what you need to know to feel comfortable. After reading a lot on this site I am realizing how lucky we are to be getting this type of surgery. My doctor is going to be assisting another experienced doctor so that she can learn to do this surgery by herself. It will take a little longer, but I am glad for the women coming after me who will have this choice.

The waiting *is* the hardest part,

Jaelyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register