6 days Post Op-Doing great! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days Post Op-Doing great! 6 days Post Op-Doing great!

Unread 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
6 days Post Op-Doing great!

Hello. I had a total hysterectomy with da Vinci on Oct. 16th. I was released to go home on the next day Oct. 17th. Hyster was done due to fibroids. No repairs were needed as originally thought-Hurray! I have had manageable pain (the the meds). See the nurse practioner in the morning. No problems and I feel great.
I am still having hot flashes although they are milder than before the surgery. But they are so draining. Is there an average on when these go away? Any helpful hints? Right now I strip down, breath in shorts breathes and if really hot-soak my feet in ice water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Re: 6 days Post Op-Doing great!

Did the nurse practitioner suggest HRT? I am asking because I see that you had both ovaries removed according to your profile.

Personally, I take Sage (the herb) as a supplement and it helps with the hot flashes and sweating. It takes about 3 weeks to start working. It doesn't get rid of the hot flashes completely but it does get rid of the sweating. I have also read that doing some deep breathing a few times a day will help reduce hot flashes.

Now to answer your question, I have read that the average length of time that hot flashes hang around is 5 years. I have just reached the 4th year and can't wait to see if I truly do get rid of them next year.

I hope this helps.
Unread 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM

I noticed over in the hystersisters store, that they have several products that will help alot with hot flashes.

I was afraid of hot flashes after the surgery, so I got one of those chillo things for the pillow. It looks like it would work really well. But it turned out that I haven't had any hot flashes, so I haven't used it yet.

I'm a farmer who works in my hot vegetable garden in the middle of the hot, southern summer. While that is not exactly hot flashes, I have found a product sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond that works really well to help me through that brutal heat.

It's called the Frogg Togg, and is a spongy type sheet that you wet with cool water and then wrap around your neck like a bandana.

As great as that works pulling plants and harvesting veggies in 100 plus degree heat, I would think that it would work well for the hot flashes as well.

You might try the hystersisters store, or your local Bed, Bath and Beyond for something that can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
Did the nurse practitioner suggest HRT? I am asking because I see that you had both ovaries removed according to your profile.

Personally, I take Sage (the herb) as a supplement and it helps with the hot flashes and sweating. It takes about 3 weeks to start working. It doesn't get rid of the hot flashes completely but it does get rid of the sweating. I have also read that doing some deep breathing a few times a day will help reduce hot flashes.

Now to answer your question, I have read that the average length of time that hot flashes hang around is 5 years. I have just reached the 4th year and can't wait to see if I truly do get rid of them next year.

I hope this helps.
Danni, thanks for your reply. I can't do HRT as I was already on it for 4 yrs. and then a medical condition prevents me from taking it again. According to the tests run before the hyst I am already done with menopause. I will have to check out the hyster store haven't been there yet.
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHen View Post
I noticed over in the hystersisters store, that they have several products that will help alot with hot flashes.

I was afraid of hot flashes after the surgery, so I got one of those chillo things for the pillow. It looks like it would work really well. But it turned out that I haven't had any hot flashes, so I haven't used it yet.

I'm a farmer who works in my hot vegetable garden in the middle of the hot, southern summer. While that is not exactly hot flashes, I have found a product sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond that works really well to help me through that brutal heat.

It's called the Frogg Togg, and is a spongy type sheet that you wet with cool water and then wrap around your neck like a bandana.

As great as that works pulling plants and harvesting veggies in 100 plus degree heat, I would think that it would work well for the hot flashes as well.

You might try the hystersisters store, or your local Bed, Bath and Beyond for something that can help.
HappyHen, thanks for your reply. Great ideas I will definitely check out. Thanks for the support. It's most appreciated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register