Scheduled TAH Preparing for surgery, stressing out! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparing for surgery, stressing out! Preparing for surgery, stressing out!

Unread 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Re: Preparing for surgery, stressing out!

I agree that the wait is one fo the hardest parts of this surgery!!! I had a LSH and yoga pants provided enough of a secure pressure to help me feel better. If I had TAH I might have opted for a binder. But, you don't have to use the binder all the time. Just use it when you need it- like going out, etc.

Wishing you the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Risa!

I've been incredibly busy, actually. I haven't had much time for exercise, but honestly, the anxiety about the surgery was just one of many contributors to my stress level.

Now I'm done with my Japanese class and all that's left is unpacking and my going away party for my sick lady parts this weekend, so I'm going to chill out this evening by taking myself for a pedicure and wax, and have a nice glass of wine while I finish unpacking and decorating my new place

I asked about less invasive options and my doctor raised his brows and said, "Not for this monster!" XD From what I've read so far, the recovery time isn't much different from a laproscopic surgery anyway, so I'm not really bothered by that, and I don't care about a scar.

My largest fibroid was measured two months ago at about 12 cm in diameter and my uterus is enlarged and slightly larger, and they appear to be growing rapidly. The imaging lab couldn't find my right ovary because the fibroid was obstructing it in the transvaginal ultrasound.

My doctor is convinced that he will be able to find my ovary, but I'm sliiiiightly paranoid about it being ovarian cancer. My bloodwork all came back normal and healthy, but I understand that there's still a slight chance of it.

I'm trying not to obsess over that right now, since we won't really know until I get my pathology reports, but I had one really good freakout about it about a month ago where I was weeping into my salad to a male co-worker of mine who is going through chemo for Hodgkin's lymphoma. That was kind of embarrassing.
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm just happy to hear there are still men out there who like chubby women - YAY to your boyfriend! I had a vertical incision on my 300 pound tummy and just tried to keep the skin under the hangover as dry as possible...I also had a little bit of seepage as part of the scar did go down under there, so I put Polysporin ointment on it to help it heal. You can be nervous, but don't be afraid - you will be fine!
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:28 PM

Aunt Disy, my boyfriend is a chubby chaser We've been together for 8 years now. He's actually disappointed because I'm finally below 200 pounds again and I'm more pear shaped now, and he "likes symmetry".

I'm getting a bikini incision, it appears. Should I get the vertical or horizontal binder? Any difference? I'm afraid it'll roll up or something.
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Locopuff-
Good for you for giving your BF time off before the surgery! it sounds like you both will be all the better for the space. Go hang with some friends and celebrate summer!
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Just as an added word... you don't need to buy your binder. Insurance should pay for it if you ask for it at the hospital. Mine was a long one. It went from just under my ribs (I'm short waisted though) to my crotch and I loved it. When you start doing simple exercises... just lay on your back in bed and do Kegels and/or tighten up your abs a little and hold for a few seconds. That's all you need to do. Take it easy!
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Thank you all for your support, ladies! Looks like the boy creature and I will both be taking a much needed few days off from each other before the insanity begins.

Should I ask about the binder after my surgery or what? Sorry for being dense - I'm kind of a medical n00b and I'm not used to the system at all.
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Get the binder-absolutely. It really makes a difference.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register