questioning decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questioning decision questioning decision

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:46 AM
questioning decision

I am again confused. After much thinking and talking we have decided that maybe I should just have uterine repair and rectocele repair. Has anyone done these types of repairs without hyst. It just seems that it might be better to leave things in if they dont give me any other problems.
Also would like to hear from anyone who has had STVH with rectocele repair. How do you feel after, how is recovery, long term feelings etc.? IS anyone glad they kept uterus if they did these repairs?
Just so many questions. Has anyone had a doc. that said it would be fine to leave uterus? Any feedback would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:56 AM
questioning decision

Im right there with you, I dont think I'll know for sure if I go through with it or not until the day arrives.

My doctor did give me a choice, she told me that she couldnt say what will happen after the surgery. Either fixing the bladder will cure my problems and I'll go on just fine or fixing the bladder (moving it) might cause me more problems with the uterus.

Up until my pap appt two weeks ago I never realised I had any problems in that area. I knew the bladder was a problem and when she mentioned surgery and how it would fix things for me I was all for it. Then she mentioned the hysterectomy and I lost it.

I waiver back and forth from yes I'll do it to maybe I'll wait and see.

It's so hard to know what is right, if only I knew it was something that had to happen then Id find it easier but not knowing if its the right thing to do is the tough part. The only thing I do know is I do not ever want to feel the way I have these past few weeks again. I have been so effected by this that I have a hard time functioning most days. I drift of into my own little world where I dwell on this.

Sorry I couldnt be more help, good luck with whatever you choose.
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:15 AM
questioning decision

Hi Kimberly!

I was thinking about you yesterday! I don't know the answers to your questions, but just wanted to let you know I'm still lurking about the message boards!!
Hope you are ok today!!

-Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2002, 05:28 PM
questioning decision

Hi Ladies.....I went in to see dr because I had horrible rectal pressure and was constipated. I was told I had a rectocele and to try metamucil for a month with lots of water.....well, I did, and it did nothing. So I called the dr and he wanted to see me to schedule a surgery. I wanted another opinion, and went to a dr. that does colonoscopies.......he thought it sounded like rectocele also, but since his business is colonoscopies...he scheduled me for one. In the mean time, I sought a second opinion and was told I had a grade 4 rectocele, plus cystocele and prolapsed uterus and that I should have a hyst!.......I was in shock........She told me to cancel the colonoscopy...that was not the problem.

Needless to say, I questioned my own dr on this and he said he could perform the repairs without doing the hyst, but that there was a possibility that I could still have pressure from the prolapsed uterus.......My decision was I had a TVH because I am 48 years old, and was already a year into menopause. I was concerned if I left uterus in I would still have pressure......

Well, I am 9 week post op, and I can honestly say I don't regret having the uterus removed, but I still have pressure .....I am seeing the dr tomorrow to see if the rectocele is healing correctly. Had I not had the uterus removed, I would have thought it was that.

I honestly have no answers after all that LOL.....just that it is very frustrating and perplexing, and I do notice a difference in that my uterus is removed, because I am more "dry" even though I was in menopause already...but, I also had my ovaries removed.......another tremendously difficult decision to make.

Now I am facing the fact that I had everything removed and still have some pressure in rectum ..........It's very frustrating. I will find out tomorrow just exactly WHAT that feeling is....if it is swelling, if rectocele couldn't be repaired 100% or what. I do know that the rectocele is atleast 70 percent better....it does not come up to the back of my vagina anymore...As for the uterus being removed, my vagina is now back to a "normal' size...it was all stretched out, and my bladder is working wonderful. I had a bladder tack because I had leaking upon sneezing and coughing....laughing etc. That was also pressing in the vagina.

Sorry for the long answer.....I too am frustrated, and unfortunately there is no right or same answer for anyone. We have to weigh all our options, make our best decisions, and live with them.

:Hug:

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register