How long does it take for the bowel to kick in - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does it take for the bowel to kick in How long does it take for the bowel to kick in

Unread 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
How long does it take for the bowel to kick in

I think it is staring to work my stomach is actually starting to bubble, so lets' hope its here finally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2006, 08:57 PM

That's it! Once the bubbles start it's just a matter of time.
Good luck, I hope it's not too hard on you. Get a magazine or a puzzle book.

Oh and P.S. I almost forgot this great tip. I used Prepartaion H in between a few times, poor little butt gets so sore after a while. Also used Baby wipes, Always brand wipes in between.
This is so yucky but I'm glad we can help each other.
Unread 07-17-2006, 08:58 PM

I just had my pre-op appts today at the hospital and with my Dr. (TAH is scheduled for next Monday 7-24). Nothing was mentioned about having to do any kind of bowel cleansing before surgery. I was just instructed to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I had decided myself to eat light next weekend. Is it just doctor choice as to which procedure to follow? Also, I've heard of "swelly belly" but don't know what it is. Can you supply information? Thanks, Ms. Bessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Hi Ms. Bessie,

As you are reading and posting on the boards you will find varying opinions on everything including Doctor's advice to each patient and also their procedure. Same for each and every woman's opinion, some are similar and others completely different.

Some doctor's request the bowels be completely flushed out prior to surgery with citrate of magnesia or other type of bowel cleansing agent or an emema or other ways. The citrate takes the longest in my opinion, could be up to many hours waiting. The enema is 5-10 minute wait and everything comes out nice and easy.

Call your doctor just to be sure that you don't have to do it. Remember they too are not perfect and it is possible it was forgotten or as you said not required. Plenty of women have had their surgery with orders just to have liquid diets 24 hours before (as I did) (jello, broth, tea) or nothing after midnight.

Swelly Belly
is what develops almost instantly after surgery within a day or two due to the trauma to your internal oragns, the surgery, the gases the doctor may or may not use and also from bowel gas and full bowels. Surgery tends to slow down the digestive process, again due to the trauma of surgery.

I could not afford to purchase the Swelly Belly Band advertised here. But I did devise my own. I had a very wide elastic waist wrap, (the kind you'd use for a sore back, I also had a small pillow about 10" by 10" and a place to put a gel ice pack. I figured if I needed the help of the Swelly Belly Band which is to bring support and relief and also cooling to the tender incision area and belly, also itch relief of the healing, I'd use what I'd made.

So far at day 16 post op tah-bso I have thankfully never needed to use it. It is a wonderful product and I would have bought it asap, if I could afford it.

What works for one, may not work or even be necessary for another. That's why posting is great. It gives you a consensus so to speak.

Good luck to you and stay connected, ask all your questions, everything!

I was so glad I had to do a bowel prep even though it was litearally a pain in the butt to do. I could not have imagined having to have a BM the day after surgery, which is usually when the hospital staff come around asking if you've had one. They want you to be able to do 4 things before discharge, walk, eat, urinate (they may or may not measure your output) and have a bowel movement. They wanted me to take a suppository before leaving. I knew I had nothing in me to go and planned on taking care of it myself in the comfort of my own home with an enema. I told the nurse I already had a BM, she didn't check (good thing)

As you date approaches, please by all means ask any question that comes to mind. That's how we get and keep the courage to undergo this major surgery. More imporatntly, call your doctors office and ask EVERY QUESTION you have, since each Doc does things a bit differently.

Good Luck to you!
Unread 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM

Hello! I'm new to this site. I've been reading the message board. My surgery is on July 20th. I was told to do a bowel prep tomorrow. Should i take Magnesium Citrate first and do the fleet afterwards? I'm really getting nervous now.
Thanks
Unread 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Hello and

That would be the order in which to take it as long as that is what your doctor advised. Give them a call tomorrow to be absolutely sure.

My instructions were: 4ozs citrate at 12:00 p.m. then another 4 ozs. at 4:00 p.m.

The first 4 ozs. took about 2 hours to kick in then it was non stop to the bathroom about every 5 minutes for 2-3 hours. :run3:

I felt that was way more than enough and had nothing left to get out. I did not do the 2nd 4 ozs. as I had been eating very lightly day before anyway. I was on a liquid only diet 24 hours prior to midnight the night before my surgery.

A great tip is to use soft baby wipes in between and Preparation H (as long as the Doc okays it's use). The poor butt gets so sore and literally becomes a very sore pain in the butt!!

The enema is good because it is like a water flush which gets out the residuals. Warm the enema in teh microwave for 15 seconds before using, then it is more to your body temp. than being cold.

I felt the enema was extremly helpful after being home and getting my bowels moving. It definately helped with the Swelly Belly too. Just make sure your doctor approves of it after surgery. I can't say enough about how important it is to get the bowels working fast after surgery and also making it easier to go. For me the enema was so helpful. It helps pass all the trapped gas too! As does the Gas-x that you should bring along to the hospital and begin chewing day one.

I also brought ear plugs and a soft face mask in case I had a noisey room mate. Turned out I had the room to myself. It was 4th of July so there were loads of empty beds. My DD 22 yrs was able to stay the first night, thank God. She helped me unplug and walk to the bathroom every hour. She was my savior.

Also bring lip stuff
a sweater for your shoulder in case it's cold from AC
a small pillow for your belly
I brought my own pillows ( I take them whenever I'm away)
toothbrush, paste
mouthwash in case your not up to brushing
slippers, your own socks
a light robe, hard to get over the IV, someone will help you.
Nightgown if you wish, I was there for 2 days and just stayed in the hospital gown. It didn't raelly matter to me.
maybe a magazine
a plastic bag for the hospital stuff to take home
a vase for flowers

My hospital supplied shampoo, body wash, toothpaste & toothbrush and a comb. I brought my own because I didn't know that. It pays to call the hospital and see what they supply if anything, less for you to pack.

I also requested a window bed so I'd have my sunshine and more roomy.

Good luck, it is not fun, but necessary. I was home alone that day so it was nice to be doing my running in peace. Just think, clearing your bowels will make your surgery safer and you'll have less to make a BM before they let you leave the hospital.

My best wishes to you!
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM

Try not be nervous, breathe, take nice deep breaths.
It is totally normal to get frazzled.

Just keep posting, the Sisters will get you through it!!!
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:32 PM

hi Disney101, I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I am feeling pretty good most of the time, just a little tired. Last night I did have some pain, but I am attributing that to some family aggravation and walking the stairs a few times too many. I have permission for short drives but no lifting or carrying things. Can pick up 10 pound doggie, he is my best friend.

Post often, the ladies here are just wonderful. they got me through the nerves, the terrified stage, and everything in between!! try not to worry, you will be just fine!!!
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM

Hello Liz1992...Thanks for the info, answers and encouragement. I was tired and blue today, didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked. I'm trying to get the house in order and things prepared for the start of the school year for my sub. (I teach third grade and will miss the first 2-3 weeks of school this year - we begin Aug 17) Then to make matters worse I began spotting again and fear a big gush is coming, which is my general pattern! But tonight I arranged a schedule with some dear friends for help with meals and care during the first few days I'm home from the hospital. My hubby just started a new job, and although he has a very understanding boss, he doesn't want to miss too much work. Thanks again...Ms. Bessie
Unread 07-19-2006, 01:59 AM

Thanks for posting this question. My doc didn't order anything he just said to follow the instructions on the sheet they give you. I have to do a douch.. which I have never done, but whatever. Also it said a Fleet enema, I know nothing about enema's and when i bought it looks like a bullet shaped thing, so I'm hoping I pop it and and sit on the tiolet and wait???? If anyone has used this method I would love to hear what to expect, I'm freaked at the idea of interting into my butt... ewww.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register