LAVH Doing well minus the sharp gas pains. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doing well minus the sharp gas pains. Doing well minus the sharp gas pains.

Unread 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Doing well minus the sharp gas pains.

I am so happy to have found this site! It really helps knowing that you are not alone even if you are alone while recovering at home. I am 4 days post op and have really been amazed at how well I seem to be doing. The gas pains and BM's are by far the worst of all of this! I guess it makes sence that the digestive track takes some time to get back in place so it can work properly again. But it sure does hurt!

What is the main purpose/benefit of the belly binders? My sister had a post pregnancy belly binder that she lent me but its too small. I'm wondering if I should still get one. I see some use it & some don't. I have a small pillow that the hospital gave me so that if I need to cough, sneeze or anything, it helps support the belly when you hold it. It helps when you need the extra support but I'm wondering if the binder would be more beneficial or just the same? I don't have stiches. Just surgical glue on the 3 sites where they went in.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Re: Doing well minus the sharp gas pains.

shannybug!
I am so glad you found us! This site is an amazing place to get advice and support and is also an excellent resource, as there are lots of helpful articles and videos. Poke around and learn

The gas pains are horrible. And trying to have the first few BM's is no fun either. Gas X helps a little with the gas pains and stool softeners should be your new best friend. I found a heating pad on my tummy and frequent, short walks around the house help pass the gas also.

The belly binder is a personal choice. Some women love them, some don't. I didn't buy one and I'm glad because there was no way I was strapping anything around my belly. I could hardly handle the weight of the blankets on top of me and underpants and waistbands were a huge No for the first month for me. Some women really like the support they offer, especially when sleeping on their side. And the ones that have the cold pack on the belly are very soothing for some women.

Have you discovered your Recovery Thread? Recovery Thread Oct 15 - 21 This is your place to heal and compare notes with others who have had surgery in the same week.
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM

Yes, I have posted in that thread. But thank you for letting me know. There is so much to read that I find myself on here for hours at a time just reading. I had a rough day today & just posted in the thread about what's going on. I tried the ice pack & moist heat today. They both seemed to help at different parts of the day.

Thanks for your help and support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Yes, I find it easy to "lose myself" here for a few hours! I end up staying up way past my bedtime some nights.

I am 15 months post op and still have rough days. Hysterectomy isn't a quick fix! It's a long journey we go on to get healthier. Hang in there, it will get better!
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Thank you for the support. It will be so nice a year from now when I can look back on these days. It really does help mentally knowing that there are so many other women out there struggling with the same thing but in different ways. We are all so fortunate to have HysterSisters to help get us through it. I tell everyone I know about this site and how helpful it's been.
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybug7 View Post
I am so happy to have found this site! It really helps knowing that you are not alone even if you are alone while recovering at home. I am 4 days post op and have really been amazed at how well I seem to be doing. The gas pains and BM's are by far the worst of all of this! I guess it makes sence that the digestive track takes some time to get back in place so it can work properly again. But it sure does hurt!

What is the main purpose/benefit of the belly binders? My sister had a post pregnancy belly binder that she lent me but its too small. I'm wondering if I should still get one. I see some use it & some don't. I have a small pillow that the hospital gave me so that if I need to cough, sneeze or anything, it helps support the belly when you hold it. It helps when you need the extra support but I'm wondering if the binder would be more beneficial or just the same? I don't have stiches. Just surgical glue on the 3 sites where they went in.

Thanks for your help!
I too had a Binder that due to swelly belly was to small but at my one week post op appointment I wore it and my Dr. said no need, that my abs should stay strong and a binder would be like a cast causing atrophy. It made sense to me especially since I had no muscle cut at all and also have 3 incisions (LAVH). I was very happy to say adios to the binder. Also had sharp pains from gas and BMs but that gets better and better, the problem is later on in recovery having to pass gas when in public!LOL
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM

I found Gas-X, drinking more water and taking walks, even if just pacing in my room helped relieve the gas. I used up hyster sisters abdominal binder for walking outside, riding in the car or when near small children or pets to protect my abdomen.....it does get easier....hang in there..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register