Last minute concern | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last minute concern Last minute concern

Unread 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Last minute concern

Hi,

I had one last(I think)concern. I was mentioning to my aunt about the fact that they never did a chest x-ray or ekg for my pre-op and she seemed concerned. Is it different for everyone? I don't think I've had one since last September. Something I should be concerned about? She said they might notice it when I go in tomorrow and do it then. My primary had seemed surprised that it wasn't ordered. Ok, well any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Last minute concern

Some Dr's routinely order x-rays and ekgs on every pre-op patient and some only order them when your health and/or other tests indicate that there may be a problem. I didn't have either for pre-op. If you are uncomfortable with that decision, you can call and ask your Dr why theses tests were not ordered. He is the only one who knows why he did not order them, and can set your mind (and your Aunt's) at ease

s,
Kay
Unread 08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Last minute concern

I agree with Kay, I didn't have them either and honestly never thought about it, just wanted to get it over with! Call your Dr and find out.
Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Last minute concern

Thanks,

I just wanted to know what the procedure is, I'm kind of scared to call him, don't want him to say that he forgot and postpone or anything, now that I'm this nervous, just want to get it over with, lol. I guess they know what they're doing. Thanks again.
Unread 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Last minute concern

I definitely think you should have a chest xray and ECG before surgery. Before my second surgery to have my colon reconected the surgeon forgot to order that I take a bowel prep before the surgery[b]. I asked at the pre surgery clinic while I had the regular chest xray and ECG, blood work etc done if I should have one. They told me that it wasn't ordered. I had never had a colostomy before and thought that OK ...maybe they just flush it out in surgery. After the surgery the Dr asked if I had a bowel prep and I explained that he didn't order one. Well... he said it was routine and he assumed it would have been done as such. Like.... I should know this or the nurse should know this if it is NOT written down. I know it is hard to reach a surgeon and many of them a short on personality but do check. I often wonder if this is the reason my left fallopian tube is now septated, dilated 7.3 x 2.2 x 7.2 cm and it also has tortuous. Could the bacteria have caused this? Don't be like me and not double check, I sure wish I had an aunt like yours.

The other reason that you should have a chest xray is that this summer I developed Atypical pneumonia which is also called walking pneumonia. While waiting for my ultrasound to be reported, my family doctor called me instead to inform me I needed drugs to clear up my lungs because the xray that I wasn't worried about showed clear signs of this type of pneumonia. We had travelled back from Ireland and I could have picked it up in the airplane because it is like Legionaire's disease and can past thru the recycled air.

I love your aunt for telling you this so give her a big huge for loving you. The best of luck with your surgery.

Settebella.
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Last minute concern

My family Dr. didn't do an EKG @ his office during my pre-op exam because he generally doesn't do them on people under 50. However, the hospital really wanted one, so I ended up having an EKG in the pre-op area an hour before my surgery. It all worked out OK.
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Last minute concern

My doc only does them if you are over 50 or have any serious medical problems. Each doc and hospital have different standards.

Good luck!!!! You are gonna be fine.

GA
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Last minute concern

I have had 4 different surgeries and never had an ekg or x-ray. I guess some docs don't require it. If you are unsure ask your doc. Hope this helps. God Bless.
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Last minute concern

When I went for my preop last week, the admit nurse was a little shocked that an EKG was not ordered. She called someone, not sure who and they said it was fine. I just had blood work and a prego test. I will be in the castle with you tomorrow, hope ours go as smoothly as so many we have heard from on the boards. Angeal
Unread 08-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Last minute concern

yesterday I went for my preop and the admitting nurse was also suprised that my doc didn't order an EKG or a chest x-ray. I was a little concerned about this but since my son had a doctor's appt to go to after mine, I didn't pursue. Hopefully everything will be okay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register