urinating and bms ouch!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

urinating and bms ouch!!!! urinating and bms ouch!!!!

Unread 03-20-2005, 02:42 PM
urinating and bms ouch!!!!

My surgery was March 15th, home 2 days later. While in the hospital I had 3 different caths due to not being able to pee. Wends morning I was deterinted to go home, I did urinate a small amt. and they let me grt o. Since I have been home 4days, I still have a lot of pain urinating, I go but it hurts and takes awhile. Also had 1st bm yesterday, man it was bad, I have been teking stool softeners and lots of juice, I feel like I have to, my stomach is killing me and I feel so nauseas. What else can I do? Should I take a laxative for releif? I feel like if I don't go very soon I will start vomiting (which I did thurd night, the smell of my kids popcorn did that one). Other than my stomach problems I don't feel to bad. I had a TAH. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Hi, I had the same problem with peeing and bm, after I came out of hospital, in the end I did take laxitives, and had some grapes, I found that did help, but dont push, as it is painful. I`m four weeks post op and still find that when I need to pee, its still a case of just sitting on the loo and letting it flow out on its own.
Also, for bowel movement, try some apple jucie, about half a pint in one go, does wonders for me.
Good luck.
It does get better.
Unread 03-20-2005, 03:03 PM

The first couple weeks post-op when I urinated or had bms it was incredably painful. It got alot better after that but took quite a few more weeks before it was pain free. I would think if your stool softeners and juice aren't keeping up with it a laxative would be in order. My first week I had to take one. The pain medication seems to cause constipation. After that prunes and prune juice did a good job for me. My doctor suggested it. But I'd be careful not to get one that causes cramping. I can still remember how bad it was. WOW! But it does get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2005, 03:11 PM

I can totally sympathize with you. I am one week and 2 days post TAH and have, until yesterday, had the worst potty days I have ever known! I checked out the HS site for anything BM related and found that Milk of Magnesia (MOM-worked better that the stool softner they gave me in the castle) and several other laxatives are recommended by lots of the other ladies. MOM has helped me out of the worst place I have ever been. Just use the good ol' breathing techniques given for child birth and try your best to relax. It really does get better.
Unread 03-20-2005, 03:27 PM

Boy, that first week home from the hospital is the worst!!! I wasn't prepared for how painful/difficult it would be to go to the bathroom...I would literally sit, groan and hug my pillow. I took Pericolace the first 2 days home, because like you, I was getting really sick to my stomach and just thought, I need to poop or it's all going to back up and I'll eventually explode!! My bowels felt like a toxic waste site. Anyway, to help things along, I ate oatmeal with raisins every morning and also drank a fiber supplement (my favorite: 1 tsp powdered psyllium husks in 1 cup of orange juice. Put it in a jar and shake before drinking and then follow it up with a glass of water) Oh...and lots of water in general. I'm almost 5 weeks post op and it still hurts when I pee...and it takes longer than it used to. It's better though so I know I'm slowly improving. As the other sisters said, it DOES get better. You just need to make it through the first week or 2 and you'll be surprised at how much better you feel. Take care!

Willa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register