Second Opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Opinion Second Opinion

Unread 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Second Opinion

Why is it that everyone seems to think that I need a second opinion? I am running out of smart *** responses to this question and I am needing help.

Of course I have had a second opinion. The doctor that I am seeing is the doctor that other doctors go to. He is the leading physician in the area for endometriosis. I have seen him since 1999. I think he knows what he is doing. I know people are only trying to help, but it is starting to annoy me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Second Opinion

My answer has been "I have had opinions and Dr. Doe's opinion is the one that matters to me". We are in agreement with what my treatment is.

Or something to that effect, I have had people say that to me as well,,,they mean well, but I just want to scream "Mind your own business!"
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Second Opinion

I'm sorrry you are being annoyed by the question. The simple truth is that there are many women who don't know that there are other options. Some of them have not ever seen other Doctors. Some don't even know for sure why they are having this surgery.

There have been many women who have had hysterectomies, then had a complication and THEN found out that there were alternatives that would have had less risk and solved their problem.

Please try to be patient and understanding. You may get asked again. Much of it depends on the way you phrase your questions. I learned to begin my posts with " After seeing many Dr's and not being eligible for any of the options..........." This did keep others from asking me "Have you gotten a second opinion" and "Have you tried other options."

In the meantime, there are women who do learn about other options on this site. There are women, who through the encouragement they receive here, optain additional medical opinions and discover that they really didn't need a hysterectomy at all.

As I am sure you have heard over and over by now, a hysterectomy is a life changing surgery. For many of us it becomes our only hope of improving our quality of life. For others though............. Well, you need only read through the specialty forums to see that not everyone is happy with the outcome.

I hope you are otherwise getting the support you are looking for from HysterSisters. I know that I came through my surgery and recovery much better than I would have without the wonderful support I received here.

s and Best Wishes for your upcoming surgeries,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Second Opinion

I think I'd be tempted to say something like, "2nd opinions? You're allowed to do that?" No seriously...
I'd just answer, "Sure have. You don't think I'd put myself through this if I hadn't really checked it all out do you?" Puts the ball back in the rude questioners court.
Take care. Try not to let the annoying people get you down!
Unread 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Second Opinion

sometimes second opinions can open your eyes to other options. if i hadnt researched my options and gotten a second opinion, my ovaries and cervix would be gone. my first dr's rule was 45 and over...everything comes out. he is considered the best in the area. i traveled 2 hours for my 2nd opinion and was offered an lsh and kept my cervix and ovaries, need no hrt, had a quick recovery and feel fantastic. i dont think i'd feel so fantastic if i had gone with my first dr.
i think people only ask you if you've had a second opinion because they know how different dr's treat conditions. maybe theyre hoping they'll be an easier answer for you. that was definitely true in my case...and i always suggest a second or even third opinion. if youre comfortable with your dr, just tell them that.
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Second Opinion

I know I must have done things completely backwards, but researched my options BEFORE I even went to my doc. I had told her about the issues months before, but considering that I had just had tubal surgery a few months before that we thought my problems might go away with a little time. When they didn't go away and things were getting worse, I decided to research all my options before hand, and knowing my medical history I could make a good explanation to my doc. After reading the letter I gave her I went in for an appointment and she agreed with me on the plan of action.

I was my first opinion, my doc was my second!

Explore your options then trust yourself, and if you trust your doc, then do what you need to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register