How long will it take for my tummy to stop being so swelly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will it take for my tummy to stop being so swelly? How long will it take for my tummy to stop being so swelly?

Unread 05-16-2008, 10:04 PM
How long will it take for my tummy to stop being so swelly?

I mean it is still numb in some places....it's hard to believe that it has been since February 21st 2008 when I had my hysterectomy!! All they took out was my Uterus, but I really need to know if any of you ladies still had swelly bellies after 13 weeks?! Thank you..

Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2008, 11:04 PM

My doctor told me it can take six months before the swelling disappears.

Karon
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:50 PM

I am still a bit swelly.....summer shorts a little snug but most pants fit now at 4 mos post-op. I have heard the numbness can perhaps be felt for years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM

I just had an abdominal hysterectomy, I only had one ovary and fallopian tube left from a previous surgery almost 20 years ago, but my doctor said my one remaining ovary was functioning well, so he left it in and removed everything else.

I was surprised at how large of an incision had been made, they removed 12 staples before I left the hospital.

But the swelling is pretty obvious and uncomfortable. I'm hoping that it will pass soon, I was told it was due to the excess gas in my system, so I try to move about a bit and take OVOL 180 to relieve the gas discomfort as it goes right up my back and into my shoulders!

If anyone has any other ideas onhow to reduce my "swelly belly" sooner, I would appreciate the info!
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:52 AM

You are not alone. My surgery was Feb. 20 and I still have swelling at the end of every day. I also have the numbness and my doctor told me it will come back slowly and I may have some numbness that will always be there. I really only notice it if I have to touch the area or am leaning against something.
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:54 AM

I am over 6 weeks and mine is flat in the am and puffy by mid am YIKES
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:42 PM

ShellBear I had a TVH and repair work done also and I am the same as you only not flat in the AM I am never flat it is just jiggly and smaller and hard and puffy at night
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM

I had my surgery on Feb. 19th...Uterus- fiberiod-cervix-1 ovary removed...and yes
I'am still swelling up.I feel weekly progress, but everyday is different. I stuggle with pants...and feel your pain.... I don't get me wrong, I'am so grateful for modern medicine ,and no more periods....but I want my jeans back !
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:29 AM

Compression garments help with swelling
I had TAH and a tummy tuck at same time, plastic surgeon has had me in a binder for 4 weeks (24 hours a day) and said binder or Spanx or Flexeez for at least another 8 weeks
I have little swelling and only a bit of the burning pain by evening The principle (as I understand it) is just like a swollen ankle- if you compress the injury it swells less and equals less discomfort The PS also says that compressing the area helps your internal organs find their way to new homes easier and trains the skin to lay flat I look great so far so I am not arguing! Gotta wear one all the time though or you will swell I got my garments at Marshall's or TJ MAXX 8-15 dollars each Penneys or Macy's cost more
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:26 AM

TY...I'm looking forward to the day when I can wear something besides pyjamas and sweats.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register