How are you expected to really heal right? (Child mentioned) | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you expected to really heal right? (Child mentioned) How are you expected to really heal right? (Child mentioned)

Unread 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM
How are you expected to really heal right? (Child mentioned)

I am 10 days post op, and I am having difficulties being able to take it easy. I have two kids who are 8 and 5, and they are both really high energy. My hubby works nights and sleeps during the day, so I am essentially doing this on my own (I can't ask my parents for help). The kids need to be able to get out and do things, and I'm not quite there yet in my recovery. Plus, I'm still dealing with Vasovagal (fainting), and my doc told me that I can't drive until the lightheadedness and dizziness are gone.

I saw my general practitioner on Thursday for an unrelated issue, and she reamed me out for doing too much, too soon, but I can't help it because I don't really have much help. I stopped taking pain meds last Tuesday, but now I am noticing more pain and pressure in my pelvic area, and a little more bleeding, too. I'm getting kind of nervous.

Has anyone else been through a similar situation? How do/did you do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Re: How are you expected to really heal right? (Child mentioned)

I am sorry you have to deal with so much on your own. I hope those with smaller children can give you some good advice, my son is a pre-teen and helps me when he can. Do you have neighbors with teens that can come over to play with your kids during the day or when you feel you need a break? Perhaps a neighbor or a friend can take the kids for a bit? I hope you find the solutions you need to get thru your recovery. It's not only hard on you but the kiddies also because they don't fully understand at that age. Sending you some hugs.
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Good luck on your healing! It is VERY hard to take it easy- but from the sounds of it, you are overdoing it and your body is letting you know it. I know your hubby has to sleep during days and works nights, but what can he do to help when he is up and home? Does he take care of kids when they get home from school? Right now you need all the help you can get- including from the kids! You can channel that energy in to helping you around the house. The kids (I have 3- 13, 11 and just turned 7- she was 6 at time of my surgery) and they took great pride in doing extra things around the house and bringing me food and drinks...Especially when they overheard me bragging to family and friends about how wonderful they were being to me.

I don't know what you already have them doing around the house, but based on what we have done with our kids (and my brother has done with his 4 boys), there are quite a few things they can do around the house... 8 year old can take kitchen and bathroom out to big trash can, load and possibly unload dishwasher (or at least most items in dishwasher), feed animals, put away clean clothes- and at least hang clothes on hangers if can't reach closet, set and clear table...

5 year old can do most of those things... They can also dust furniture, clean windows, 8 year old can vacuum (my 6 year old did at 5 because she begged to, but she tired easily so not much got done- LOL!)- there is so much they can do to keep physically busy in the house. Make a game of it- let them pull a chore out of a jar... Have a clean up race and give each of them a laundry basket and see who can put most scattered toys in basket the fastest...etc- get creative (while you sit on couch!) And make it fun or rewarding and you can all be happy!

Also- temporarily give up idea of what things have to be... You do not need huge dinners to prepare right now. Have someone go to grocery store and stock up on healthy foods that kids can get by themselves- cut up fruit and veggies, yogurt, string cheese, etc- so you are not having to get all meals together.

For your health you HAVE to cut back and take it easier and cut out things that you always did and now feel guilt about because we have this notion of being "Supermom". It's only temporary and they will make it through!

Good luck- I know it's tough to let some of it go- but you MUST!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM

I am sorry you are pretty much on your own. Could your kids possibly spend some time at a friend's house? This way you can have a little rest. Then, when you are better you can reciprocate.

I agree that you should have your kids help you. My kids are 7 and almost 3 and they have been a great help. Obviously they can't do everything but they are doing what they can.

I hope you are able to get some rest soon.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register