Is anyone else feeling ...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone else feeling ...... Is anyone else feeling ......

Unread 09-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Is anyone else feeling ......

Depressesd???? Is it normal to feel so depressed before we go into the castle???? I have been on bedrest for the last week and a half and don't know if Im feeling down from the fact of not being able to work and take care of my kids or if its from all the emotions of having a hyster....

My mom did cheer me up alittle today when she stopped by....she was at Wally World and bought me pair of pink and white socks that say "Princess" on them...she got a smile from me out of that one..

I am on the less than 48 hours to becoming to Princess countdown and Im starting to get the butterflies in my stomach..I just want it all to be over with....

Good luck to all the Sept 7th Princesses....Im right behind you....I go for my Pre-op testing tomorrow....

Take care all my sis's
Marjie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
I think it is totally normal.

We all handle stress in different ways and no matter what this type of surgery is stressful.

I was scheduled for they hyst. in March and I was fine with it until I went for the pre-op 1 week before. I broke down and I mean broke down bawling my eyes out. I went into my gyn's office to ask the nurse something and my doctor was in the hall and seen me. She asked me to wait and sent me to her office. She took one look at me and refused to do the surgery at that time. However, it wasn't life threatening for me.

This time around I'm fine (really) with the hyst. part but feeling more nervous about the recovery and my life afterwards. I'm use to being very active and the thought of not being able to drive for several weeks is depressing to me and I'm afraid I'll slip into a bad depression.

I think you need some kind of special treat whether it is your fav. meal (before it gets to late for that) or a fav. treat of something sweet that you love. Maybe rent your fav. movie that makes you feel good.

(hugs) and we are all here for you and we will be thinking of you.
Unread 09-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Yes.

Be kind to yourself! A treat is the best thing. Also reading the stories of the princesses that have gone before us and knowing that life is good after the trip to the castle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2004, 12:54 PM
some

I've been through the gamut of emotions this last month...scared, depressed, anxious, elated...calm and withdrawn.

It's normal...

Right now I am anxious to get the ride to the hospital over with, get in that bed, get that IV in, roll down the hall to the OR, and then remember NOTHING until I wake up...

then it's all about getting HOME!

I'm "homesick" and I haven't even left yet...that is the worst part for me.

Everybody deals with it differently...just try to roll with it and keep your mind occupied. Love those socks!
Unread 09-06-2004, 12:57 PM

Yes, Marjie, I think it's perfectly normal. I've had my crying jags on and off since the DR suggested hyst 3 weeks ago. Treats are good and just letting yourself feel sad and trying not to surpress it is good, too. There are reasons to be sad! If you don't fight it it will pass more easily and will probably make you feel more relaxed.

That said....As a mental health professional myself, you do need to distinguish between a normal reaction to something very upsetting and stressful and having a true bout of depression. Are you eating and sleeping OK? Having difficulty with concentration or memory? Are you still able to look forward to things and find pleasure in things (besides the socks ) ? Any thoughts of not wanting to be alive--even if you have NO intention whatsoever of harming yourself? Feelings of excessive guilt? If some of this kind if stuff is happening for you, you should talk to your doctor about it. Meds can really help.

I send good thoughts to you. Hang in there, girlfriend!

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register