How bad is it??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How bad is it??? How bad is it???

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
How bad is it???

I am 43 with "sev endo"/adenoymosis, endometriomas/cysts/heavy periods & scheduled for a laparscopic hyst & at least one ovary being removed (both if it up to my surgeon) 12/10.
I am getting nervous & anxious about how I will feel post op. Is there a lot of pain? How long until you could get out of bed & feel "ok" How long before you were able to feel "good" - (lift, workout, etc) If you also had a BSO, did you immediately go into a surgical menopause & what was that like? (My surgeon said he start me on HRT 3 months post op to allow the "endo to burn out.") Fortunately, I will be on holiday break from work & will be off for 4 weeks.
Am I normal going crazy??!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
How bad is it???

Hi and welcome!

I can't answer all your questions (kept my ovaries) but I can tell you that the pain of recovering from my TAH is really nothing compared to the pain of the adeno and the fibroids these past few years! I was shocked that it wasn't as bad at all. My first two weeks were uncomfortable, the third week (just finished) not so bad. I do get exhausted easily and if I overdo it, like I did a couple days ago by shopping at Costco for two hours, I hurt a bit. Ibuprofen and a good high protein diet are helping quite a bit.

I am at 21 days post op and I couldn't imagine going back to work at this point, I would not have the energy at all. I don't have a job outside the home, though, so that works out well for me LOL

Everyone goes through every emotion possible, so you're perfectly normal in that regard. Read these boards, there's terrific information and lots of support here!
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
How bad is it???

sclighthouse....

Right when I woke up was the worst pain - severe cramping feeling in back and lower abdomen. As soon as they heard me moaning, they brought the pump and got me on darvocet, which didn't kick it all, but got it down to mild cramping feeling. I was up walking that evening, but the pain meds made me woozy. After I got home the next day, I was able to move around slowly on my own, but by the day after that, I was able to get around the house pretty well. I took pain meds for the last time only 4 days after surgery, and really only needed ibuprofen sporadically after that. The pain was not that bad....But I didn't have endo. The dr did tell me he found adeno though.

They put a patch on me and I did not experience hot flashes or any other menopause symptoms after my bso. I had some waves of nausea that made me hot, but I think that was from the pain meds or the surgery itself. That went away after a few days.

I returned to work today after nearly 3 weeks - I'm a teacher so nothing too strenuous at my job. I'm feeling good so far! Not tired or sore. Hopefully 4 weeks will be enough for you, too!

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
How bad is it???

Hi!!!

Welcome to our site.

Your questions are totally understandable!!!

Please take the time to read the articles at this site. They will answer most of your questions.

This surgery is like anyother. You will have the surgery. You will be in a recovery period. There will be some pain. Nothing you cannot handle with the proper meds (some women don't even take the meds!!). Depending on who you ask, total and complete recovery is really up to you.

I approached this time as a learning process - just another part of life.

You will be okay too!!

Hang in there!!
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
How bad is it???

Lighthouse -

We all have our moments of insanity (sort of) with finding what we need within ourselves and those around us, to sort through all the prep and recovery.

The first 36 hours were pretty painful. Thats my most honest answer with regards to pain. However, I think its good to know that that period ends fairly quickly and the pain eases. And it gets a little better each day from there.

You know for yourself how bad your endo pain is currently. I know there have been sisters on here who say their Post-Op pain was never worse/not much worse than Pre-Op. I had a second surgery for pain and once out of Recovery, I was never worse than I was pre-op, so I can appreciate that comment.

After my second surgery, which included a LSO, it took several months for my remaining ovary to get it together. During that time I had awful night sweats and hot flashes. But having that behind me, it was just part of the recovery process (although I could have done without it in June/July without central air).

I wish you well.

Julie
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
How bad is it???

Lighthouse.

Everyone is different when it comes to their post op experiences. There are some really good posts on the Post Op forum that you may want to look at.

Speaking only for myself, I had no pain after surgery. I have had a wonderful recovery. At three weeks if I stand too long I feel as though I have a brick in my abdomen but I feel great. The "brick" helps me to remember that I'm still healing.

As far as menopausal symptoms go, I was taking HRT before surgery so I am having some pretty bad hot flashes now. I'm hoping they will go away with time.

Good luck with your surgery. I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Unread 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
How bad is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclighthouse
I am 43 with "sev endo"/adenoymosis, endometriomas/cysts/heavy periods & scheduled for a laparscopic hyst & at least one ovary being removed (both if it up to my surgeon) 12/10.
I am getting nervous & anxious about how I will feel post op. Is there a lot of pain? How long until you could get out of bed & feel "ok" How long before you were able to feel "good" - (lift, workout, etc) If you also had a BSO, did you immediately go into a surgical menopause & what was that like? (My surgeon said he start me on HRT 3 months post op to allow the "endo to burn out.") Fortunately, I will be on holiday break from work & will be off for 4 weeks.
Am I normal going crazy??!!!

I am six weeks post op today! YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!
I had the same concerns as you.

I can tell you that the pain has been minimal!! I had some awful periods over the years! None of the post op pain was ever as bad as a typical period! Spent two nights in the castle and was off prescription painkillers (for the most part) by day 5. I wouldn't describe most of it as pain, more as discomfort. Really, I'm a wimp in the pain area, and found this recovery much easier than I ever imagined. (Not that it stopped me from complaining or getting frustrated with myself after a few weeks!)

I had both ovaries taken. So far, no menopausal symptoms. I actually had more night sweats PRE OP! Six more weeks and I start HRT! Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this good!

My only "complaint" at this point is that I still tire easily. I'm going back to work part-time this week, been working from home since day 4 post op, but on MY schedule.........!! Tired of being tired......but slowly finding my strength and stamina. Important to listen to your body and take things slow.

Good Luck, it will be fine! Try not to worry too much about the things you can't control. Some things we just can't predict the outcome of...........we are all different and heal at different rates........

Hang in there!

Christine
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
How bad is it???

Thank you so much for your replies and support. All your information has been very helpful & I appreciate the time you all took to reply. I will also check out the post-op forums. (I'm still trying to learn how to navigate this site!). Best wishes to all of you & thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
How bad is it???

My symptoms were similar to yours and my endo was severe. I was told by my doctor(s) that my recovery would take longer than most due to the amount of endo that was removed. I didn't go back to work until 8 weeks post-op.

The nurses will keep you well medicated in the hospital. They will also expect you to get up every 3 to 4 hours. This was difficult for me and I couldn't get in and out of bed by myself.

Surgical menopause was immediate for me and I am not on HRT due to a small amount of endo that could not be removed from my ureter. My gyno wants me to be hormone free for 6 months. Not a good thing as the crying jags, moodiness, migranes and mental fog began about 3 weeks post op.

I spoke to my GP and she prescribed Paxil. My GP said this anti-depressant is used for breast cancer patients and it will reduce the hot flashes and night sweats - as well as the depression and mood swings. Haven't seen any results yet as it takes 2 to 4 weeks to get into the system. Boy, am I counting the days!

Good Luck and please know that you are not going crazy! There is just so much to know and think about. Be sure to get a pedicure before your surgery. It will make you feel good and your feet will look good in your slippers...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register