How long off work for A & P repair and other questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long off work for A & P repair and other questions How long off work for A & P repair and other questions

Unread 08-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Question - How long off work for A & P repair and other questions How long off work for A & P repair and other questions

Hi everyone,

On Aug. 22 I will have A & P repair, with the mesh that my dr. says my body will "grow" into (scar tissue?) She said I'll stay in the hospital overnight, packing and catheter will come out next morning.

She told me the first week would be the worst, the second week I could work from home (I can do my Marketing computer work on my laptop), and probably back to work the third week.

BUT! Her surgery assistant said it would be atleast 4 weeks to recover. The urologist who will assist said after ONE week I'll be raring to go (I don't believe that one at all). What sounds more believable? I ask because I don't get paid when I'm not at work, and I can't lose money.

Also, other quick questions:
1. I hear ladies talk about YES get a donut to sit on and NO don't. Which one is it?
2. I also hear ladies say an ice pack helps. Stupid question: Where do you put it for it to help? (on top of your belly toward the pubic area?)
3. How painful will this be? I have a medium tolerance for pain.
4. Any other helpful tips for me?

Thank you, ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM
How long off work for A & P repair and other questions

Well - I don't get paid when not at work either...I am only provider in household. I had to get a loan in order to pay our bills for 2 months. Who knows how I am going to get along after I am able to work again. SO MUCH FINANCIAL STRESS!

I know everyone heals at different rates, but I am at 5 weeks post-op and still bleeding. I see doctor tomorrow for post-op checkup. I hope to be able to work at least half-days by September 5th. I couldn't even sit in a chair (with a very dense cusion from the convalescent store - NOT A DONUT!!!) for more than 30-45 minutes until the 4th week. A donut cushion puts too much strain on the area instead of cushioning it. I use an ice/gel pack between my legs and sometimes a heat pad on my lower belly and lower back.

I thought the pain level was a 10, but I have a low tolerance for pain.

I have been told that the scar tissues doesn't even form until the 3rd month post-op. I am tired of just resting. I stayed out of bed for the first time all day just 2 days ago. I paid for it dearly and was in bed, in pain, all day yesterday.

You will have to listen to your body and your doctor to arrive at the right answer to you. This is not a recovery that you can rush. Just straining badly with a bowel movement or bending over to get something off the floor can pop stitches. I had to use a grabber thing on a stick from the convalescent store to pick up stuff and to help put on my underwear.

I am not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a 1/2 gallon of milk until the end of the year. Then...hopefully will be allowed to move to 10 pounds....for life!

Also, I am instructed to take stool softeners from here on out. Milk of Magnesia was VERY helpful to achieve the first post-op BM.

Patience is the hardest part. Please plan to take a chunk of time to heal. Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:24 PM

I've had lots of experience with A & P recoveries. Sorry, but I have to disagree with the Drs. Typically a Dr will tell you a 6 week recovery is the norm. Everyone heals at a different rate.
Having said that I can tell you that it took a lot longer than 6 weeks to start to feel more normal. If you have a desk job, it isn't strenuous but the sitting will be very difficult. Like many of the others here sitting flat on your bottom can be painful for quite some time. You will have lifting restrictions. I was told to lift no more than 5 pounds for 6 weeks. The Dr even weighed my purse.
As to your questions, don't use the donut pillow. You don't want to encourage the pressure it will place on your pelvic floor. I found myself doing a lot of reclining, putting more pressure on my upper buttocks, lower back or side sitting to avoid putting any pressure on my bottom at all.
The ice packs were very helpful to decrease swelling and relieve discomfort. I used a package of frozen peas because it molded to the contours of my bottom. Needless to say the kids wouldn't eat frozen peas for weeks.
This surgery is not a walk in the park as one of your Drs suggested. You will have pain and discomfort for quite awhile. It's common to take narcotic pain relievers the first week. From the second week on you should be able to get by with prescription strength Motrin and an occasional narcotic pain reliever. It's important to make sure you do not get constipated, no straining allowed with BMs!! So take a stool softener as directed by your Dr. Drink plenty of fluids and increase the fiber in your diet. It's important to get moving too, get up and walk around the house at least once every hour.
Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM

I had an A&P repair, biological mesh on 6/19. Please don't think I'm bragging, but I felt that I had a very easy time. I don't necessarily think I have a high pain tolerance, but I felt more sore , than pain. After the first night, I had one dose of toradol (IV antiinflammatory), then asked for motrin.
I stayed for 3 days, total, packing came out the next morning, and I went home with the catheter for a week.
I didn't need an ice pack, and sat on a soft pillow, especially when I was allowed to drive after 1 week.
It was sore to sit for long, but this got better after about 2 weeks. At 2 1/2 weeks, I flew to FL because my dad passed away. I took it easy as much as I could and did fine.
My Dr. didn't give me a lot of restrictions, except lifting. He said 15 lbs for the first 6 weeks, then 25lbs, lifetime. I learned from here, that is too much to lift, so I restricted myself. For some reason, my back aches when I have done too much.
As far as work, I didn't have a restriction because I work in a school and had the summer off. The next four days, I have conferences and registration to do, 8 hours each day. I know I will be tired. I am not used to sitting for that long.
My only problem so far, is that I have a UTI and I am on my 2nd round of antibiotics.
Please remember that everyone is different, everyone heals at different levels, some people need more repairs than others. I had a very uneventful TAH as well. I consider myself very lucky and I hope it stays that way.
Good luck with your surgery!
Jen
Unread 08-07-2007, 04:21 AM

Jen had good, strong words of advice. We all have different pain tolerences, different degrees of repairs and different rates of recovery. Just follow your doctor's orders and listen to your own body. I am still glad I had the surgery, even though I have been slow to heal. The bulging is gone!
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM

I had a very easy time with TVH buat a horrible time with rectocele/perineal repair. The second surgery for the first week was a 10 on the pain scale. I found it very hard to sit for a long time and am still going to Phy Therapy for scar tissue. I went back to work at 9 weeks and the sitting was very difficult. Even with all that I am VERY glad I had the repair done and would do it again.

Listen to your body and your Dr. All of us seem to handle things differently. Just give your body time to heal right! Good luck!
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM

I just had my post op appt at 5 weeks today and am released to go back to work on Sept 1st with restrictions. I hope to be able to do at least half days by then. I still have pain at a 4-6 by evenings, but finally it is lessened by a motrin instead of percoset.
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

I had a TVH with A & P Repairs 11 weeks ago. My Dr. told me recovery would be 6-8 wks but I had read that it could be 8-12 wks so I prepared myself for that. I work in a school and I missed the last 5 weeks of the school year but don't have to return until Sept 4th, so I knew I had lots recovery time. I was fortunate that way, I know.

I stayed 3 nights in hospital, catheter was out day after surgery. I had a hard time with pain in the hospital but once I got home, the meds the Dr. prescribed worked for me - I took them for 7 days after I got home. It was more painful than I thought it would be after the first 10 days, I only occassionally took regular ibuprofen for discomfort.

I did sit on a horseshoe shaped pillow we own - I felt it helped me but I only sat on it when I sat on a hard chair, like at the kitchen table. Otherwise, I alternately, sitting on one cheek, standing and lying down. I used heating pads on my rear and I never tried ice packs - didn't think about it but I bet it would have helped.

I bled for 7 1/2 weeks but nothing since.

My best friend for the first 2 weeks was a peri-bottle (squirt bottle you fill with warm water and spray over the perineum area when you go to the bathroom).

I did take stool softeners for the first 16 days I was home but not after that. I try to drink lots of water and eat fibre rich food. I have no pain at all now but if my diet is not so great, I can feel a little pressure in the rectal area. So, I did pick up some stool softeners to take when we are on holidays because you do tend to eat differently.

I didn't drive for 4 weeks and then just worked my way back into it.

I feel great now and most of the time I don't even think about the surgery. It was a long haul but worth it to me.

Everyone is different and I hope you heal quickly but at least knowing it can take a while may help you prepare.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register