Cooking too soon | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cooking too soon Cooking too soon

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Cooking too soon

Question ladies! I am scheduled for a TAH on 21 February, yep,
on a holiday!
My husband and I were talking last night, and i mentioned that I want to make at least one weeks worth of meals ahead of time.
Maybe i am just emotional right now, but his response surprised me. He said that the kids can live off of macaroni and cheese for a week, and after that, there is no reason why i can't resume cooking the meals. I was under the impression that even after 1 week, I probably won't be up to doing that yet. I don't want
him to think that I am "milking it" or anything.
Any thoughts??

Thanks!

jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Cooking too soon

I think a few weeks is not to much to ask. If you must start cooking plan easy to make meals. Not hard to prepare. We had family and friends bring over meals for the first few weeks and I think we ate alot of sandwhiches for a week or so after that. I am just begining to really start to prepare all the meals again. Keep the pizza delivery number close for the nights when you are just beat.

Best wishes
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Cooking too soon

You may be able to help... a little after one week, like maybe lay on the couch and place your order! Tell him that this surgery is more invasive than heart surgery, take him with you to the doc's office and have the doc give it to him straight.

No bending, no lifting, no stretching, no standing for long periods of time... That's the usual list post-op (well part of it... the stuff that applies). He's got to know that you're not going to just be normal after a week!!! He needs to understand how important this healing process is... print out the checklist for him and post it on the fridge, print out some of the post-op posts from women who pushed it and hand them to him.

Sit down and talk to him if you haven't already... this is very serious surgery, you need to take very good care of yourself and if that means no cooking, so be it.

Please don't worry about sounding whiney. This is your body you have very right to be protective!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Cooking too soon

THANK YOU! I really appreciate both of your posts.
I will just get tough with him, after all, he knows how to cook
too!!

Thanks!

Jennifer
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Cooking too soon

I feel like I am on the fast end of healing.. walking upright at 4 days, sleeping on stomach at 3weeks plus 1 day.. etc. I did not cook anything until a full 2 weeks had passed. Even then I didn't do any of the kitchen clean up and my cooking was just something very simple. I just didn't have the energy or the "reach" to function well in the kitchen.

Before going to the hospital I told my hubby to be prepared for the worst.. I wouldn't do ANYTHING for 4 weeks.. and hope for the best.. I might start doing a FEW things in 2 weeks. You can't predict how soon you will be up to cooking so just tell him you will do your best to heal well and he has to do his best to be patient with you. Even when you can move around enough to cook a little you may find that it saps all your energy. If it sends you right to bed for a nap I don't think it is worth doing just yet.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Cooking too soon

Hi Jennifer

You and your husband should read the "checkpoints" section of this site. (top of the page, in the lavender line~~or on the left side of the homepage under "Hysterectomy Articles")
There is a lot of info on what to expect and what you are allowed and not allowed to do at each stage of recovery. There are even some recipes! Also, there is a site just for husbands with questions that the guys frequently ask. One of the questions is: "When is she allowed to cook"? (Click on "for men" at the top of the page).

I had a TAH/BSO, and found I couldn't stand comfortably long enough to cook until a full two weeks post op. Even then it was simple things, spaghetti, grilled sandwiches etc., and not every night.

I wasn't able to do things like lift the gallon milk jug out of the fridge or lift the cast iron skillet (even empty) by myself without feeling the pulling in my abdomen and great downward pressure on the vaginal cuff area for probably 3 1/2 to 4 weeks.

So take it easy, do what you can. Listen to your body and it will tell you how much you can do. The problem is, our brains try to egg us on to do more than our bodies are ready for, not to mention the guilt we women feel if we can't be superwomen 24/7!

Cooking some meals to put in the freezer is a great idea! It will make your husband's life a lot easier for the first week or so and give him more time to pamper the princess

Take care,

Rosalie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register