Bowel Issues after procedure | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Issues after procedure Bowel Issues after procedure

Unread 07-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Bowel Issues after procedure

Hi I had my surgery on May 05,05. Ever since the surgerey I haave had horrible bowel issues. At first very painful. and fequent. even now I am scared to go anywhere every time I do we end up going home and me running to the bathroom. sometimes it is still very painful cramping and sometimes not but barley make it to the bathroom. very embarrassing and frustrating. any ideas or suggestions would be great.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2005, 06:37 PM

Hi,
I'm 5 1/2 months post op and I know exactly how you feel. I talked to my local GP about it when I was about 3 months post op and he's concerned that I may already had adhesions. I was to give it a couple of more weeks and go back to him for a referral for a laparoscopy by surgeon but I'm playoing the waiting game. I've already had 3 lots of esurgery in a 15 month period so not keen for any more.

I also get terrible cramps, sometimes the cramps hit and it's a real rush other times I just can't go. I'm also left often with the feeling of still needing to go even though I have. I've gone from once a day to anywhere up to 6 times and can go from one extreme to the other and back.

Sorry I haven't helped much but at least you know your not alone.

Take care............Karen
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:12 AM
same here

I have the same exact problem. My doc said that it’s bowel spasms, and is treated by medication. He said it could be from the anesthesia or pain meds. Mine is getting better, not post op 2 weeks. I have about 1 easy bowel movement a day, the rest are horrible, and my blatter still hurts when I urinate

Good luck,
angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm88
Hi I had my surgery on May 05,05. Ever since the surgerey I haave had horrible bowel issues. At first very painful. and fequent. even now I am scared to go anywhere every time I do we end up going home and me running to the bathroom. sometimes it is still very painful cramping and sometimes not but barley make it to the bathroom. very embarrassing and frustrating. any ideas or suggestions would be great.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 09:27 AM

I have the opposite problem. I have very bad gas pains and do not have regular bowl movements yet. The pain from the gas is worse than the pain from the surgery! any suggestion? 6 days post.
Unread 07-26-2005, 10:09 AM

I am glad someone else brought up this thread... most of the threads are about NOT being able to go... I go at LEAST 4 times a day... (6-7 times yesterday) very loose and watery... I figured partially because I am still on quite a soft diet - but I get mild cramping and sometimes that need to go but can't anymore feeling... and my bladder feels lousy when I have a BM... crampy - like I need to pee but I can't...

I am not taking any pain meds so that can't be the reason - I have even though about taking a T3 with codine to HELP!!

I have a home care nurse coming in about an hour so I will be asking her some questions about it... (open incision)

Glad to know I am not the only one...

Brutus - I have heard some take stool softeners - you might want to check some of the other threads and see what specifically they are taking- Metamucil maybe? Philips softener? I have also read that many take Gas-X to help with the gas pains...

Shauna
Unread 07-26-2005, 11:51 AM

I had my Hysterectomy April 26, 05 . I have done well with the Hyst. But also have had bowel issue. Frequently going to the bathroom and pasing lots of gas and tissuey stuff . Stomach cramps. colon spasms. Finally doc did a stool speciman on me ,, results( pseudomembranous colitis) caused by taking Antibiotics and knocking out the bodies natural flora. . It is very frustrating to have stomach cramps and the urge to go 24-7 . By the end of the day it feels like your rectum is inside out. Flagyll or VAncomycin. is the best treatments. I took Flaygl , It made me sick and It came back . Now I am on vancomycin. Trying to get ride of this stuff. Eat. Lots of yogurt if you can and I am now taking acidophlis to try to build back my bodies natural flora. Hope every one gets to feeling better. Hello to All. Scrappy
Unread 07-26-2005, 12:39 PM

Hi Ladies,
You should call your doctor and tell them about the bowel problems, you could have a bowel infection thats causing you to have so much loose stools and pain. The doctor can send your stool to the lab to have it tested. Sometimes you pick up infections like this at the hospital and they won't go away unless you take medicine for it. There is one called C-Diff that many patients pick up in hospitals and it can have the same symptoms you have described.
Go to the doctor and be checked, if you let it go you could get much sicker or cause perminate damage. Even if its not an infection the doctor can tell you what to do to help, there are medicines that might help.
I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 07-26-2005, 12:46 PM

I guess misery loves company. Since I dont have bleeding from my period any more, I now have rectal bleeding! Just can't get way from it. I wasnt too concerned at first that BMs were painful - that seems to be pretty common. Unfortunately they havent gotten better and I usually bleed. I have had bleeding before (yup, hemorrhoids) but not the pain that makes me dread going. Oh, and it doesnt matter how loose, it still hurts and usually bleeds. My gyn gave me some suppositories that I think have helped some, but still hurtin'!
Unread 07-26-2005, 12:53 PM

ahhhh yes.i am 11 days post op and the pains are excruciating when it's time to "go". it's like i can FEEL it all moving down and getting ready to come out. my problem is that the endo was everywhere he had to scrape it off my colon as well as taking and cutting it out everywhere else. the vicodin causes me not to go so when i don't take it i do have to go-and man does it hurt!!!! i hear it's supposed to taper off, it takes a while for the anesthesia to even wear off form surgery, and the whole shock to the system can cause all kinds of problems. when i have to tinkle it sometimes feels like my insides are going to fall out....other times it's so much pressure i have to stop mid stream to catch my breath. we all seem to have this problem.....let's stick together.
Unread 07-26-2005, 01:17 PM

I had the culture for c-diff and it was positive. Am now taking vancomycin.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register