Pre-op with fibromyalgia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op with fibromyalgia Pre-op with fibromyalgia

Unread 07-26-2001, 04:57 PM
Pre-op with fibromyalgia

I am scheduled 8/21 for a TVH with one, possibly both ovaries removed. I have had this nagging pain on my left side for at least a year but blamed it on fibromyalgia and walking everyday 3-4 miles to keep my muscles stretched. No longer walking but the pain over the last 3 months has progressed to extreme pressure, cramp like symptoms and a feeling of a bulge. At this point by the end of the day my clothes and even my underwear hurt to wear. I still thought it was fibromyalgia as both hips ached constantly. After a year finally realized it could be something other than hip bursistis or fibromyalgia. Had the ultrasound and CAT and they found a fibroid tumor on the uterus wall and a cyst on the left ovary. I worry that the pain I am feeling can not be all related to female problems. My question is are there any other fibromyalgia sufferers out there who were having extreme pain in their hips also? Can this be caused by the female problems or am I just suffering with two different problems. I guess I am scared that the surgery will not correct the pressure, cramp-like pain and I will be going thru this for nothing. Do I sound like I am starting to worry??? Are these symptoms normal for a fibroid and a cyst??

Any advice from anyone including other fibromyalgia sufferers would help this pre-op princess make it through the next 3 1/2 weeks. Thanks and good luck to everyone having surgery this week. If you want to email me direct: jklasen@new.rr.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2001, 05:37 PM
Pre-op with fibromyalgia

Hi Jill....

I have fibromyalgia and just had a TAH/BSO on July 19th. I suffer from severe back/hip pain. Neck/shoulder pain. I was worried that the fibro pain would make the hysterectomy pain worse. To my surprise I am having pain from the abdominal but I think due to the pain medication I am on the fibro pain is gone right now. Except for when I lay in bed for too long and my back kills me.

I cannot say if your female problems are what is causing some of the fibro symptoms. I think my female problems may have been contributing to it too... Will have to see when I am off the pain meds if it returns..

Hugs,

Michelle
Unread 07-26-2001, 06:08 PM
Fibro. pain

I wish I had an answer for you.

I too cannot lay in the bed for very long or it becomes a torture rack. I must keep moving, so I'm also concerned about how this surgery will effect the fibromyalgia.

When I have the severe cramps during a menstrual crash, I don't notice the fibro. pain as much, but I think it's do to the fact that I'm resting more at that time. And I figure the brain can't process both kinds of pain at the same time, so it sort of forgets about the fibro. pain for awhile.

But it always comes back again when the menstrual pain eases. For me it is two very different types of pain. I've got the low back and hip problem too.

I'm hoping that the fibro. may be better without these continuous crashes every three weeks, or at least one can only hope.

I've got a bad back too and will miss my floor exercises that keep me functioning. I don't know when I'll be able to ease back into that, but I figure I won't be on the floor for awhile.

Not sure this helps but I'm open to any suggestions. My fibro doctor seems to think I'll be better afterwards, that maybe I'll sleep better with this off my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2001, 08:29 PM
Pre-op with fibromyalgia

Hi, Jill--
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia almost 4 years ago, and after a rough time initially, was fairly pain-free. The fatigue and tiredness affected me more than anything. I was walking almost 2 miles daily and lost 45 lbs. through Weight Watchers. Then, suddenly, one year ago I started having excrutiating pain in both hips and legs. As a result, I couldn't walk daily and started putting some weight back on. The pain in my hips was so bad at night that I was not sleeping at all. Anti-inflammatories, Predisone, and cortisone shot--all with no relief. I am now under the care of a wonderful rheumatologist, take 1 mg. of Klonipin nightly, am 99% pain-free, and sleep like a baby. My TAH/BSO is scheduled for this coming Tuesday, 7/31/01, and I, too, am concerned how the surgery will affect my fibro. Also have wondered how big a part my female problems played in my hip/leg pain (HUGE uterus with thickened lining & cysts on both ovaries). So, I guess I will know soon enough! Good luck, stay positive, and hopefully we will both be crossing over with wonderful results!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register