Steri-Strips: Afraid to Remove | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Steri-Strips:  Afraid to Remove Steri-Strips: Afraid to Remove

Unread 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Steri-Strips: Afraid to Remove

I'm generally pretty stoic and practical about all this, but what makes me wig out is the steri-strips. I have a vertical incision (up to the navel) and from the quick peek I give it each day, looks like all is good. I'm kind of squeamish so I don't want to inspect it all too closely.

At discharge, the nurse said I could remove the ster--strips in a week, in the shower with water running. It's been over 2 weeks; they are hanging on but the edges are coming loose and getting a little itchy. But I can't bring myself to try to remove them.

I don't want to go to my 4-week checkup with these things still there. How bad is it to remove them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Re: Steri-Strips: Afraid to Remove

Removing them freaked me out too. I too have an 8 inch vertical incicsion. This is sad but I left mine on til my 6 week appointment. Only a couple had fallen off. Some were still on pretty tight up until the end. I didn't want to show up at 6 weeks with them still there lol! Bugged me pulling them off because I was still sensitive but it wasn't really a big deal in the end. Mine wouldn't have budged at 2 weeks. Good luck!
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:52 PM

From what I have read, the longer they stay on, the better looking scar you will have because they protect the skin from tension. Don't be in a hurry to take them off. Just clip the loose ends so they don't get caught in your clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM

clip the loose ends and use a little baby oil to help remove the glue and sticky residue.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

hehe! I had to remove mine at less than a week, because of a bad allergic reaction and water blisters. They were easy-peasy... the reaction was the killer!
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM

My dr told me to leave mine on until they fell off. That is what I plan on doing!
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:56 AM

Thanks, everyone! I like the idea of trimming the loose ends. They are at the top and they do get caught on clothing. So I will try that, but I'm leaving the rest of it alone until it comes off by itself.
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM

I had TAH and My Dr said they would come off after a week - 10 days. Some came off, others didn't want to budge. So I took the rest off when I was in the shower on day 10. Didn't hurt. I wanted them off cause they were itching me and I was told the incision will heal quicker once they come off and the air gets to the incision. I think your safe to take them off if you want. I felt so much better when they were off!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM

My doctor told me, too, to leave them on until they fell off. I think one fell of within the first week, and the other two the week or so after that. I agree that trimming off the edges and leaving them on is the way to go! Wounds need moisture, not air, to heal properly, so as long as your wounds aren't showing any signs of infection, I'd leave them the way they are! Check with your doctor to be sure, though. Sometimes they want them off at a certain time to prevent infection as well (if, for instance, water got under one of the steri-strips and was 'trapped' there, IYKWIM!) After mine fell off, I just used some warm, soapy water to clean up any residue. You want to be REALLY careful about using lotions or oils or anything around those incisions for a while (again, to prevent infection).

Best wishes to you!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register