general or spinal that is the question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

general or spinal that is the question general or spinal that is the question

Unread 05-29-2002, 08:03 PM
general or spinal that is the question

Hi ladies I am a little stressed on this decision!:eyes: I have discussed it with my doc and he said it was up to me! I have had a spinal with another surgery and have also had general and woke up in the middle of the procedure and felt everything! So needless to say I am scared! I was wondering if you wonderful ladies can share your experiences with me to kind of help make up my mind! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 08:21 PM

Hi, Sharon,

I have good news! If it's been more than a year or two since you were placed under anesthesia, the medical profession has improved all types of anesthesia, with new drugs, smaller spinal and epidural needles, and updated techniques.

If you had a negative experience in the past with anesthesia, you're much more likely to have a positive experience now.

I had my TVH/BSO under spinal anesthesia with sedation. My anesthesologist put "something to help me relax" into my IV in the preop holding area. The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room.

I don't remember having the spinal catheter placed, and I remember nothing about the surgery.

My legs were numb from the knees down when I woke up, and I itched (from the type of morphine used in the spinal catheter.) The nurse gave me benadryl to help with the itching. By the time I arrived in my room, I had full sensation in both legs, and I was ready to walk.

I had no sore throat, no nausea or vomiting, and no headache. I had all of those problems with general anesthesia, in the past. For me, this was the easiest surgical experience ever.

I'd choose spinal anesthesia with sedation for any future surgeries.

I'm sure some ladies will come along soon to relate their recent experiences with general anesthesia.

Whatever type of anesthesia you choose, you'll probably do fine with it.

Good luck with your decision, and with your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:18 PM

Sharon,

I absolutely understand the stress you're going through over this decision. I didn't think about it much until the last few days before surgery, and then it became my obsession. I came to hystersisters and did a search to find information from others, and found some great encouragement.

I chose a spinal. They gave me a "happy shot" beforehand, so I was vaguely aware of what was going on but didn't care. I was exhausted from lack of sleep in the days leading up to surgery and I dozed through most of the surgery. I could hear the doctors and would wake up from time to time, but went back to sleep quickly. The only discomfort was from the temperature of the OR - my shivering actually woke me up once. The anesthesiologist woke me up to tell me it was over, and they asked if I wanted to see the uterus, which was a big advantage to having a spinal. After all the trouble that little bugger had caused, I was more than mildly curious.

The other big advantage was virtually no pain. I had no sensation from the waste down in recovery, and the sensation came back soon after I was taken to my room. I did have some nausea, which is unusual with a spinal, but I would attribute it to my nerves and empty stomach. I felt mild cramps that first day, far less than my menstrual cramps had been. I don't think my pain ever got above a 3 or so (on a scale of 10) and it was easily controlled with ibuprofin. I did not need anything more than ibuprofin even after I came home. I would definitely do a spinal again.

Good luck with your decision!

Margaret

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register