Less than a week and freaking........ | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than a week and freaking........ Less than a week and freaking........

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Less than a week and freaking........

There is only 6 days to my castle date.

I'm getting freaked out again. I have been flip flopping between being "OK" and freaking out, and now I am in a "freaking out" stage again.

How did you ladies get a grip on it?

I'll be so glad when I am on the other side of this.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:36 AM

Please don't freak out. I have never had surgery in my life. I just told myself that this was what I needed to get a normal Life. As soon as they took me in the operating room they started my anesthesia and I was out before I could finish a sentence. I woke up in recovery and they took me to my room. It went so fast because you sleep through the whole thing. In your room if you have any pain they will take care of that too. I hope this helps you a little - the waiting is the worst. Take care and think positive.

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:49 AM

Karma,

one thing that helped me a LOT was giving myself permission to do things for myself that I wouldn't normally do. Like blowing a chunk of my paycheck on ultra soft sateen sheets and new pillows as well as some new things from Ikea. I put all of my time into making sure my recovery room was clean, soft, and PRETTY! And I ignored the rest of the house!!!! I made my life revolve around me for a change and boy did it help!!! It just made it easyer for me to know that I was going to come home to a restful, relaxing, room that I had made for just me.

Also, just remember to breathe and enjoy the fact that soon you will be a princess!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:50 AM

Hi Karma,

You are not alone! I am so freaking out too! My surgery is the 19th, day before you. I am okay one minute the next I am a wreck. Sick to my stomach, wanting to back out, not eating, not sleeping. Last night was my worst night, I did not sleep at all. Th

I sure would like to know how other have gotten through this.

I'm right there with you Karma.

Hugs,
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:37 AM

Hey all! Im in for 7/20 and sometimes I have those feelings also. Mostly not eating. Tylenol PM hasn been helping me sleep when I can't.Pease try not to stress!!I have 2 close friends who have had this done in the past year, and all though they both have different stories, everything was fine.Good luck to all, and see you on the other side.
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:22 PM

the last week before should have it's own name. like hyster hysteria week or something like that.

it was awful for me. i'd feel like i was at peace with my decision and all that went with it then i would just lose it!

i had never had surgery and was so so terrified about being cut, being put under, having IVs (bigtime needlephobia) etc.

i knew in my rational mind that i am youngish, relatively healthy, and that i had a great doctor. i really thought i'd come out of this fine.

then there was my emotional mind. i had dreams that my doctor had a heart attack in the middle of surgery and i died because no one else could finish it. oh please. she's younger and healthier than me and had an intern assisting her.

for a few days before the surgery i worked on really crystallising a positive image of myself, my fella, and furry pals all together in a beautiful place with all of us healthy and happy after the surgery. i forgot about it during my pre-op (same morning as surgery) and was crying and nervous.

they gave me something to calm me (i asked if they could). it worked very quickly and i went to my happy, post-hysterectomy visualisation. i barely remember being rolled in to surgery after that and only remember the lights in the O/R itself.

o woke up in recovery groaning which i continued to do loudly until i felt no pain. then to the room. i had a CPA pump for my pain meds which i really liked. i felt in control of my pain relief. i'd highly recommend asking to have one.

walking the next day. okay, shuffling, but i was impressed that i was up and about. only occasional pain meds by week 2.

as for the visualisation, i know it's a bit dorky, but it really helped maybe even especially beforehand since it gave me something positive to focus on while i was scared.

you'll do great ladies!

look forward to seeing you on the other side of this

hugs,
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:25 PM

Add me to the list of those freaking out. My surgery's on Tuesday also and that's just getting too close for comfort.

My only way to get a grip on things is to clean house and make lists (usually of the things I want to clean, buy, and do before surgery). Now, I'm normally a slob, so this is a good thing, but the fact that you could eat dinner off the shelf in any closet in my apartment seems a little extreme. My list is still at two (obsessively typewritten) pages, but I'm knocking it down little by little.

I think for me it's a control issue. By taking control of my environment and my life as much as possible, I can sometimes let go of the surgery and physical things that are beyond my control.

Good luck freaking out, at least we're all in the same boat together on that one.
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:31 PM

Ladies, I'm going in on the 19th and I too am freaking out. One minute I'm fine, the next....heart thumping, no sleeping, etc.

I want to poke the people in the eye that tell me "I wish I could do it.." and dumb stuff like that.

What's worse is the grisly tales of other people's uteri that have been removed, and their horror stories. Then there are the few that just seem to know what to say and are truly there for you.

My dbf is wonderful in so many ways, but now is really scared and I ripped him last night about not LISTENING to me. I don't need him to tell me how strong I am and that keeping a positive attitude will be the best way to heal. How stupid is that? I just wanted him to hold me and let me know that he was there for me. I had to spell it out. Uggggggggggh!
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:32 PM

oops! it's a PCA pump for pain meds. sorry the book keeper in me accidentally did the accounted initials. duh.
Unread 07-15-2004, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by missmish
oops! it's a PCA pump for pain meds. sorry the book keeper in me accidentally did the accounted initials. duh.
Hehe! That gave me a chuckle!

Well, at least I don't feel "alone" in my "Hyster Hysteria"!

princes jenuine, I know what you mean. Everyone is telling me "you'll do fine" or "you've had surgery before- this should be a cakewalk!" I want to scream. Yes, I have had surgery. Does that help? No, because I have had things go *wrong* before.

Of course, my Doctor took all my pain meds away too (all my anti-inflammatory) so I have pain like crazy.

I'm in pain, stressed and being a super witch with a capital B. And, nobody seems to understand why!

Oh, I *so* want this to be over with!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register