climbing stairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

climbing stairs climbing stairs

Unread 05-31-2002, 10:53 AM
climbing stairs

Hi everyone, I'm new to this since my TVH/BSO was just scheduled yesterday! Being the compulsive person that I am I'm trying to get the house ready. I was wondering - do any of you have two story houses with your bedroom upstairs? I'm wondering if I'll be able to climb the stairs when I first get home or if I shoud start thinking about making the sofa bed downstairs more comfortable. What do you think, gals?
Thanks, Margaret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 11:00 AM
climbing stairs

Hello there

I'm setting up my Palace on the sofabed downstairs.
I'm having a TAH, so I know climbing the stairs will be tough for me at first...luckily I have a fabulously supportive husband who's going to be my Pillow Police - if I know him, he'll not even let me stretch for the remote control, let alone try something as vigorous as going up the stairs! (not that it's a bad thing, eh?)

Honestly, I know I'd be more comfy in my own bed - but at the end of the day, the sofabed will do just fine for a week or so. I'll have a table with my laptop, my books and a hot flask of herbal tea, so I'll be all set to remain a Perfectly Pampered Princess.

Let us know what you decide - these are such great things to think about!

Tess
x
Unread 05-31-2002, 11:04 AM
climbing stairs

I don't have a two story, but I have to climb 8 steps to get into my apartment. I found that a week after surgery I could handle those okay, but I had to focus on how I did it and think about using my legs not my stomache. I know it sounds weird, but if I don't think about it I would feel it in my stomach, but if I focus and use the legs it didn't hurt. I would think about either sleeping down stairs, or staying up stairs and letting someone else bring up what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 11:52 AM
Hello

I have a two storey house and I had NO problems climbing stairs from the time I got home. I had a TAH. I took them slow and sure. I am a lite sleeper and would not have slept well anywhere but my own bed. I showered in the morning as soon as I got up. Then I did not have to make a lot of trips upstairs . Just for my nap and bed time. I think stairs should be no problem for you at all.

Take care and good luck

Unread 05-31-2002, 11:52 AM
climbing stairs

I had TAH came home from hosp. on day 2 and climbed a flight of stairs to get to my bedroom. I had my husband (and Physical Therapist) by my side. I did it slowly because I was weak, but it was not painful. I didn't go up and down them much the first couple of days and had them bring everything to me. It's good to have someone with you the first few times in case you get weak and dizzy.
Unread 05-31-2002, 02:18 PM
climbing stairs

I have a two story house, bedrooms upstairs, living areas down, with 1/2 bath down. I had a TAH, and went home with no restrictions on ambulation. I would go down in the morning and camp out on the couch, then at night I would go back upstairs to bed. There was nothing I needed to go upstairs for except to go to bed and taking a shower, so staying in the living room all day wasn't a problem. The first couple of days my DH was on the down side when I went up or down, just in case, after that I felt ok to go it alone. I did take it slow and easy, but I didn't feel any discomfort from the stairs.
Unread 05-31-2002, 02:25 PM
No Problem

Ask your doctor, because they all seem to have a different opinion about stairs. My doctor thinks they're great.

I had a TVH and had no problem with the stairs. I was a little timid about going up when I first got home, but other than feeling tired when I reached the top that first time, I had no trouble. I didn't limit myself to a particular number of trips downstairs during the day, but I didn't make frivoulous trips up and down either.
Unread 06-01-2002, 07:53 AM
No problem with stairs

I asked my dr. about stairs as soon as we began discussing the surgery. He promised me I could use them as soon as I got home.

I'm 8 days post op and he was right. I sleep upstairs and shower before going down for the day, then remain down usually until time to go up for bed time. A few days I have found it necessary to make an additional round trip, but didn't suffer at all for it. In fact, the first time I did it, I wasn't even thinking until I got up, then sneaked down before my dh could find out. He figured it out and scolded me.

I feel a little better each day and since I'm not doing anything as far as housework, I have plenty of energy for the necessities, like showers, trips to the bathroom, etc. My dh and ds even refill my drinks for me!

Good luck.

Nancy
Unread 06-06-2002, 05:51 PM
climbing stairs

i had tvh/bso with repairs and i had no problem with stairs. i was up and down them probably 10 times a day with no problems at all. good luck
Unread 06-06-2002, 07:29 PM
climbing stairs

I had a TAH/BSO on 17 May. I came home 48 hours later and have been up and down stairs everyday since then. I had help here, so I basically stayed upstairs in bed watching TV/reading during the day. I enjoyed breakfast and lunch in bed! I would come down for dinner then check the computer or watch a movie each night. I thought about camping out downstairs, but knew in the long run, I'd be more comfy in my own bed!

Don't worry, you'll be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register