Survived my PreOp today! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Survived my PreOp today! Survived my PreOp today!

Unread 07-16-2001, 06:15 PM
Survived my PreOp today!

Hi ladies,

I had my preop today and everything went pretty smoothly except the hospital didn't have me down for my preop appointment so I had to wait while they straightened things out and rounded up my chart.

I started out with an appointment with my GYN who is doing the surgery. I had a chance to ask her all the questions I had since my last appointment. After I was finished there I was sent over to the hospital and had an EKG, Chest XRay, Blood Work, Urinalysis, and talked to a nurse about pain control. Then I was sent to the Anesthesiologist. I had a lengthy discussion with him about what kind of anesthesia and pain control I wanted to have. I have decided to definately go with a spinal which will have a little morphine added to it. Then during the surgery they will add medications to my IV to sedate me. He told me I could basically choose how alert I wanted to be. I more or less have 4 choices.

1. Fully aware
2. I don't care
3. I don't know
4. I don't remember

I told him I wanted to start off somewhere around the "I don't care" mode. He told me that was great and if I got freaked out at any time during the surgery they would immediately add more. I can actually be completely asleep during the procedure if I want. I may choose to do that because I started thinking, if my surgery takes an hour and a half like my doctor estimates...that will be a long time to lay there wide awake. I really don't think I want to have a concept of how long it is taking.

They are going to give me a pill along the lines of a super anti-acid prior to surgery. Then after surgery they have different medications they use in your IV if you are sick. I have decided to be given Torodol in my IV for pain control after surgery. It is a really good anti-inflammatory and pain killer...non narcotic. My hope is with the morphine in my spinal and then the Torodol afterwards I won't be in too much pain. My doctor is going to have orders that I can have something stronger if that doesn't work so it isn't written in stone. I just don't want to be all zoned out and sick afterwards so this is what I decided to try. I will let you all know how it works.

My surgery was moved up because the surgery right before mine was cancelled so now I have to be at the hospital at 6:30 AM Friday morning. My surgery is supposed to begin around 8:00 AM. My doctor plans on using vaginal packing for the first 24 hours. She will remove it and my cathetar Saturday morning. If everything goes as expected she is going to release me Sunday morning. Hooray!!! It will be so wonderful to get back home.

Sorry this is so long but thought maybe it would be of interest to other LIW's. Still haven't figured out how to get a grip on my nerves. Having the preop today sure made it all seem real. I am glad it is almost over though. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2001, 06:26 PM
Great info!

Teresa,

I'm glad your post was long, it gave me an idea of what I can expect from my pre-op this coming Thursday. I'm actually feeling better knowing there are some more decisions I can make beforehand. I was panicing that I would be making decisions re. anesthesia, etc. on the day of my surgery. So, thank you for your post. I for one found it very reassuring!

I'll be thinking about you on Friday. Good luck and here's a big for you too!
Unread 07-16-2001, 07:21 PM
Thanks for Sharing

Teresa ~ Thanks for sharing your pre-op expereince. It is reassuring to start of find out some of the routine. Much better to know what lies ahead of you than to just imagine.

You have shared so much on this site already... I plan to follow your progress closely, so keep us informed of what you are feeling (physically and emotionally). You have already been an inspiration to us new LIWs.

Good luck on your journey to the castle and your magic carpet ride. I know you will sail through your journey and be crowned with glory....

{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2001, 07:46 PM
Survived my PreOp today!

Teresa thank you so much for sharing your preop visit. I actually added a few things to my list now that I have read your post. My surgery is 7/23. You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Friday. Take care, Karen
Unread 07-17-2001, 11:05 AM
Survived my PreOp today!

Hi, litehouse. My surgery is set for 7/23 too. I don't even know what kind of surgery I'm having yet! I meet with my gyn tomorrow, then it's on to the hospital for my PreOp. I told DH to be prepared. I've got lots of questions!
Unread 07-17-2001, 11:22 AM
Survived my PreOp today!

Hi teresa i am 12 days post op i also chose the spinal and i am so thankful i did i was awake and aware the hole surgery i knew everything and everyone the surgery took about 45 minth dr talked to me the whole time i was in recovery for about 45 min i dont know if i had a vaginal pak but i did have a cather i had very minimal pain and i still have very minimal pain it was the best thing i decided i had no sedation just know this it is a very strange feeling u cant feel your legs but wears off just fine if ya wanna chat or have any ques kjbe72@hotmail.com anytime and good luck to you i kept my only ovary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register