Just a few pre-op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just a few pre-op questions Just a few pre-op questions

Unread 06-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Just a few pre-op questions

Hi,

I am havingsurgery on 6-24. I heard that you cannot shower for a week! Is this true? I'm getting very nervous and I have not been able to be on line with this website for a few weeks because I moved to a new house on May 27, and it took till now to get my cable modem back on line. Maybe I am just in a state of confusion since we are not finished painting and unpacking yet.

I saw my doctor for the pre-op visit and she scared me to to death. She said there will be intense pain and Iwill not be able to resume cooking and doing laundry for about 8 weeks!?

I haven't prepared anything for my recovery yet, like shopping for comfortable clothes or stocking up on groceries, but any suggestions of post op necesseties are welcome. Where do I start?

I am having an abdominal hyst (leaving my ovaries) and a mini-tummy tuck.

My date is getting close, and I am getting jitters!

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 08:45 PM
not so so bad

I think your dr was a bit extreme in her description. Yes there is pain, at times intense, but it abates after a while and they give you really good drugs to deal with it. don't be afraid to use them!

I would suggest doing your cleaning before hand, and perhaps putting up some easy meals (easy as in easy to reheat, and easy to tolerate) I'm 3 1/2 weeks post and have made dinner a couple of times, including a pot of soup (someone else put it in the fridge to cool, too heavy!) pizza, and grilled out. It all depends on how you feel. The day I made the soup, I knew the next day I had been on my feet too long.

Read thru the other posts for how the ladies have reacted post op. Most will emphasize the rest issue, and it truly is an issue if you don't listen to your body.

Definitely have loose comfy clothes to come home in and to hang out in the first few weeks. I bought 2 nice nightgowns that I would feel comfortable wearing w/ company for the hospital, but really didn't use them til I got home.

check the website also for pre, castle, and post suggestion lists! This is a really great resource, use it to the max!
Unread 06-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Welcome Back~!

I'm glad to see that you got your modem hooked up and your'e right you are probably very unsettled because of your move right now. You will get things in order and its probably good that you have the move you keep your mind off of the June 24th date.

As for the things to pack, I picked up on the helpful hints about Phazyme for the gas that will occur and the nictoine patch since I am a smoker.

Check the lists on the site they are great~! You are gonna get through this~!!!!

Gods Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Sue

I have never heard of not being able to shower afterwards, no tub bath maybe but I am pretty sure you can shower. I am still a LIW so I am not sure of the post op part. I know that the feeling of there is soooooo much to do seems pretty normal. I think that most everyone feels that way. Do your best to get done what you can and what doesn't get done will still be waiting for you when you are healed. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Go to the drop down menu towards the top of the page on the right and there is a "Pre Op Hints" section that should have a list or something to help you to prepare. I have gotten things like puzzles, books, etc. to occupy me so that I don't worry about the housework that I know DH is trying to do . I have also "splurged" a little and bought a cute robe, new gowns, socks, and slippers. I have also gotten some Gas-X and stool softener. Some lip balm. I can't think of much else right now that I have actually gone out and bought. I did the shopping. Got extra pet food. And these last couple of days I am just going to try to enjoy my mobility as I won't have much for the next couple of weeks.

I hope this helps, I am sure that some of the women who are on the other side of this thing will have better advice as to what you will actually need.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-12-2003, 08:55 PM

Hi Sue

Welcome back!! There is a lot of information in the site about what you talked about, but I'll give you some links so you can catch up.

Suggestions for pre and post op things:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=103776

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...485#post662485

As for showering and the other items you mentioned, everyone is different. I couldn't shower for two weeks because I had an open incision that had to heal. That doesn't happen to everyone.

You talked about intense pain. Again, everyone's threshold of pain is different. I have a very low tolerance for pain and I didn't have much at all. What pain I did have was taken care of by the meds the doc ordered.

Regarding the resuming back to your activity level, it takes awhile for your body to heal. Usually it is around 6-8 weeks. Mine is taking a little longer because of some complications I had after surgery and now dealing with getting my hormonal levels correct.
Your doc should let you know what you can and can't do. I'll give you a list of do's and don'ts that we have here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97123

I did a lot of reading in this site before I went into surgery. Why don't you try that too. Hope I've helped some.

Sending you a big

Patty
Unread 06-12-2003, 08:59 PM

Everyone's recovery is different depending on your physical condition before surgery and the work you are have done on the inside. I was in the hospital for 4 days. My DH stayed with me the entire time. I came home on a Friday, he took care of things over the weekend. My mom Mon-Wed the next week and my MIL finished out that week. I did absolutely NOTHING. It was too much for me to sit in the living room and visit with well wishers. After that I was able to get out the house with my MIL for a couple hours at a time and each week it got better. My mom lives over two hours away, so my MIL (right next door) took over my motherly duties and my house. Couldn't have done it without her. The pull down menu on the main page has very helpful suggestions on how to prepare and what to expect afterward. Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Gas-X and Colase or another type of gentle, natural laxative are the most important things in my opinion to make sure you have at home for afterwards. As far as the shower goes, I was able to shower the next day in the hospital. It was bathing that was not allowed. Good Luck!
Unread 06-12-2003, 09:02 PM

I didn't have the tummy tuck, but I did have the TAH, kept ovaries. Honestly, I found the pain to be well managed the first 48 hours and after that I hardly needed the pain meds. I took my last Vicodin the night I left the castle. The DR that released me even commented that I didn't take many pain meds in the castle. Didn't need them much then and haven't at all since my return home. I would describle the feeling as having done way too many sit-ups. Now, the gas pain was some intense pain. Thankfully for me, it only lasted a week, 3 days which were really bad. Everyone is different. I was used to have labor type back pain from early on, so pain for me is standard for being a woman. I also used to exercise just once a week and would be extremely sore moving for 2 or 3 days following every session. ( Glad I can get in 3 days a week now. I'm never sore anymore.) I expected alot of pain going in and was surprised that it wasn't so bad after all. Hope all goes well for you
Now, I took a shower the second morning after my surgery as soon as the catheter came out. I wonder if not showering for a week has more to do with the tummy tuck. Another will know. Good luck!
Unread 06-12-2003, 10:55 PM

I am one week post surgery
I had a shower within 24 hours of surgery. In fact I was out of bed to the toilet within 9 hours.
My pain has been nothing like the endometriosis pain I have suffered for years. Sure it is sore getting in and out of bed for a while and turning over in bed but if you take it slowly it is not too bad.
I was on a morphine self controlled pump but only needed that for 24 hours and then I relied on panadeine for a day or so and have'n't needed to take anything for three days.
I had a subtotal abdominal hysterectory.
Try not to worry - think positive - I am sure it helps - I am telling myself I will be a spring lamb soon !
Best wishes
Unread 06-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Thank you

Hello to all!

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like I have a lot of catch up reading to do.

It feels so much better to be back in touch with this website and all of you (comforting, you know). I went out tonight and bought some loose pajamas and new slippeers. A good way to start.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to reply!!

Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register