confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
confused

Im scheduled for a TAH on the second of oct and I will have my pre op on the 28th of sept.

Im told that my uterus is the size of a cantaloupe but I dont have the actual dimensions. Does anyone know if its possible to have this done vaginally instead. I asked my dr. if we could and she said that it was too big to take vaginally. Why can a baby come out that way and not this?

My sister is going to have hers done lapryscoptic super cervical and I didnt think mine was that much bigger. Same dr.

She isnt having her cervix removed but I am. Can you take the cervix vaginally. Do they cut into the uterine wall or do they dialate the cervix?

If anyone knows please let me here about it.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
confused

Sometimes the surgery just can't be done vaginally. You will have to ask your doctor why. The shape of your uterus may also be an issue as well as the size. All my fibroids were on one side. It could not have come out the same way as a baby.

You can't have the surgery done vaginally and keep your cervix. In the end, the same things get cut on the inside regardless of which method is used. It all takes the same amount of time to heal. My doctor couldn't do my surgery vaginally because it was too large and I've never had a baby. He said it would be difficult for him and me. It's much easier to get it out abdominally. I was fine with that. From reading the posts on here it seems like there is a lot more bleeding when it's done vaginally. I haven't seen blood since 3 days post-op.
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
confused

Sometimes with a skilled, experienced doctor, if they can't do it vaginally, they will try to do a Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hyst (LAVH) - like what I am having. I as well, am not a candidate for a Vaginal hyst (too bad).

BUT even if you were to find a doctor that could/would try to do a LAVH, that does not mean that you won't wake up with a Total Abdominal Hyst. My doctor forewarned me and many of the other women on this site have been forwarned that the LAVH may have to be converted over to a TAH. And from some of the posts I have read, indeed some ladies wake up with a large incision they never expected to have.
So, on one hand - at least you know FOR SURE ahead of time and can prepare properly...
Your doctor truly knows what and why he can't do it vaginally.
And really, if he feels it is too risky to do vaginally - would you really want him to do it that way and you end up with complications?
Talk to your doctor. Ask him question after question until you feel satisfied with why he is doing yours one way and your sisters another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
confused

I missed answering one of your questions....
No your cervix is not dialated. Inside at the top of the vagina it is cut and the cervix is removed with the uterus.
Thought I would mention also some things that conflict with a vag hyst.
Never having a child born through the birth canal.
Previous abdominal incisions / surgeries
Enlarged uterus
Tubes & overies having to be removed...

There truly is a reason why your doc wants you to have a TAH. Talk to him some more. I am sure he can clear it up for you.
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
confused

Thanks, if you dont mind me asking you guys what size your uterus was/is?
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
confused

Hi Sacsister,

I had a LSH , the surgery your sister had, for two large fibroids. I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for my surgery. I had a 15 cm total size on fibroids (8.5 and 6.5) before lupron and 9.1 cm after lupron.

I agree with what Swank and CindyGrinz shared. Size of the uterus can play a part in what surgery type is best for a Hyster Sister. Along with a Dr's medical training.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
confused

mine is moderately enlarged..... between 12 and 17 weeks gestation
....but remember, it is not just the size of your uterus that matters,,, there are other factors that are involved as well
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM
confused

I get that the LAVH uses the laprascrope but doesnt everything still have to come out vaginally. So if you werent a candidate for a vaginal hysterectomy why are you able to do the LAVH?
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:59 PM
confused

I believe that if you keep your cervix than abdominal is the way they do this. Babies can come out due to cervix dilating through labor, starting at 1cm to 10cm. You need to ask the gyn what the differnce is in all hyster options. Ask him why you have to have your hyster abdominally. I think he thinks your uterus is to large to bring it down vaginally. You could get a second opinion. Best of Luck, Blinky
Unread 09-25-2006, 08:09 PM
confused

Thanks blinky,
It makes sense that at full dilation that area is 10cm and if your uterus is bigger than 12 or 14 it wouldnt work. So I see now why shape is as important as size. Does the LAVH help cut the area into smaller pieces(sorry to be so graphic) so it will be able to fit vaginally.

How is your recovery going blinky? Hystorylady, how was your recovery with the procedure my sister is going to have.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register