Returning to Work after TAH... Realistically! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to Work after TAH... Realistically! Returning to Work after TAH... Realistically!

Unread 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Returning to Work after TAH... Realistically!

Well, I've searched this site and seen many opinions, but I really want to hear from those of you who had "realistic" recoveries. I'm happy for the miraculous ones, but want to set expectations realistically.

I had a TAH on May 9. Initially, my doctore said I'd be back at work in 3 weeks. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I believe he was being optimistic to keep my from panicking.

At this point, I'm 3 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. The problem is that the feeling is up and down. My pain is very minimal, but the fatigue is really a struggle.

I'm scheduled to return to work at 6 weeks, but I'm starting to worry. I can't imagine returning that soon, feeling like this. I actually work a desk job, but it's a fairly stressful one. I'm a manager in Clinical Research, so I generally have some long hours and a bit of travel. The great news is that I have the luxury of working from home every now and then. My biggest concern is that once I'm back, I'm back. I don't believe starting part-time and "easing in" is an option for me.

To date, though, I'm healing well with no complications. So, to my TAH sisters who actually had a bickini incision,
  • When did you return to work?
  • Do you regret it, or was it the right time?
  • How did you know when you were ready?

Thank you so much. I appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Re: Returning to Work after TAH... Realistically!

I went back to work at six weeks. It was ok, although I felt conscious of my abdomen. Fortunately, my job means I get up and down and move around a bit, because at that stage I found sitting in one place for an extended period (like going out for a meal) quite uncomfortable.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM

I had my surgery on the same day as you. I am going back to work on June 11th which is almost five weeks post op. I am a dean in a middle school in NYC and our school year does not end until the end of June. I do have enough sick days to stay out until the end of the year, but I feel like I need to be there to end the year with my sixth graders. I am nervous about returning, but I'll only be there for two and a half weeks and then its summer vacatiom. I will post after I go back and let everyone know if I made the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM

I went back at 6 weeks. I had no post op issues but didn't feel ready at that point. It wasn't easy, was thoroughly exhausted by 2ish. I struggled with exhaustion and soreness for a few more weeks. I stayed on the motrin 600 regularly my first couple weeks back. I also have a desk job and worked from home a couple days a week.

I wish I could have had 8 weeks as I think i would have been better off in the long run. 3 would have been out of the question for me.

Best wishes to you! It gets easier!
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehemiah8.10 View Post
Well, I've searched this site and seen many opinions, but I really want to hear from those of you who had "realistic" recoveries. I'm happy for the miraculous ones, but want to set expectations realistically.

I had a TAH on May 9. Initially, my doctore said I'd be back at work in 3 weeks. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I believe he was being optimistic to keep my from panicking.

At this point, I'm 3 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. The problem is that the feeling is up and down. My pain is very minimal, but the fatigue is really a struggle.

I'm scheduled to return to work at 6 weeks, but I'm starting to worry. I can't imagine returning that soon, feeling like this. I actually work a desk job, but it's a fairly stressful one. I'm a manager in Clinical Research, so I generally have some long hours and a bit of travel. The great news is that I have the luxury of working from home every now and then. My biggest concern is that once I'm back, I'm back. I don't believe starting part-time and "easing in" is an option for me.

To date, though, I'm healing well with no complications. So, to my TAH sisters who actually had a bickini incision,
  • When did you return to work?
  • Do you regret it, or was it the right time?
  • How did you know when you were ready?

Thank you so much. I appreciate it!

I had my surgery on 19th April and returned to work at home office just on the 5 week mark. But was totally exhausted after just three hours sitting at my desk!!

I then ventured in to the ‘real’ office this week (week 6), and did the drive to and from work on Tuesday and Thursday for about 4 hours work and worked at home again for the Wednesday and the Friday. It was ‘okay’ but I too was conscious of my ‘swelly belly’ and was happy to come home and stretch on the couch and do a nightly walk with my husband. After dinner, I felt bloated and more gassy than I had prior to returning to work.

I had my follow up appointment with my surgeon on Monday this week, and was surprised that he said if I could take a full 8 weeks to do so – the more rest the better!! (having initially thought I would just bounce back up after 2 or 3 weeks.) He also said still no mopping, vacuuming, heavy lifting etc until that 8 week mark.

I think if you can afford to take the full 8 weeks off then you should – as is said on this site many times – you only have one chance to heal right!

And as soon as we are taking off our pj’s and returning to our ‘normal’ life, people assume we are fully healed, but the reality - for me anyways, is I am just taking it one day at a time, each one a bit better than yesterday.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM

I was off 9 weeks and that was perfect for me as an elementary school principal. I could have gone back at 6 weeks but I know I would have been sore as I attended the xmas concert and I was getting sore standing there for a couple of hours. I had no complications during my recovery except a minor incision infection that antibiotics cleared right up. Going back at 9 weeks allowed me to go back full steam ahead except for still watching the lifting. I had someone else do the heavy lifting until I was able to do it myself by 6 and half months post-op. I hope this helps.
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Hi, I went back to work after 10 weeks & my doc would happily have kept me off for longer as I work in a school & am on my feet all day. I felt awful not going back at 6 weeks, but with hindsight I know I wouldnt have coped. Go back when YOU feel up to it, not when others expect you to!
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I own a daycare. I plan to go back at about 6.5 weeks. But only a few afternoons a week to start. I do office work but still plan to ease back in.
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM

I went back at 6 weeks and it was too soon. I am a retail store manager and I am still hating recovery life. Take as long as you can take from work or as long as you can afford! You only get one chance to heal right. Take it for everything it's worth.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:34 PM

I wet back at 6 1/2 weeks. The first week was half time. Then full-time. Fortunately, I was able to put my feet up and work on my computer until 12 week mark. At the 12 week mark, I decided to sit normally. I paid with extra swelling and soreness (not incapacitating, just a bit uncomfortable). The soreness and fatigue went away at exactly my 16 week anniversary. Had my full energy back, able to lift all kinds of stuff, no more soreness for the most part but do still have swelly belly which I understand can last from 6 months to 18months. With a year being average.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register