LAVH sisters - help me out please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH sisters - help me out please LAVH sisters - help me out please

Unread 11-03-2006, 08:43 AM
LAVH sisters - help me out please

LAVH hysterectomy..... I don't get it. Why the difference in incisions?

Some sisters have four insisions, some have two, some have three.
How many did you have?
Why did you have your hyst and what did you have done?
As well, was the incision by your belly button veritcal?
And how big were your incisions.

I have four incisions.
2 above the hip bone, horizontally over top of my c-section, both about two and a half inches long.
1 horizontal on my pubic bone about an inch and a half long.
1 vertical going up and into my belly button about an inch long.

Hyst for endo, adeno, fibroids, inverted uterus, adhesions, and pain (previous blood loss taken care of with an ablation five months ago)

Left ovaries alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2006, 08:51 AM

I have 3 incisions one on left side, one above pubic bone and belly button. Mine are about 1/2 inch in size. Dr. said she made as small as possible and was able to get to right side thru the incision on left. I think it depends on how much scar tissue and adhesions you have.
Unread 11-03-2006, 08:54 AM

Hey CindyGrinz,

I'm not exactly sure what you call mine in abbreviations but I didn't have a vaginal assist, I know that much. Mine was total abdominal Laproscopic. Adenomyosis,Endo and Ovarian Cysts.

I have 4 inscissions. One small one on the right side over my pubic bone, one in the middle (same area) and one that is about 1 1/2 inches on the left side (same area), then one verical at my bellybutton.
I still have a little thread sticking out of each one at the corner. I tried to see if they would come out but it stung, so I left it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2006, 08:59 AM

I have 3 incisions.
1 above each hip bone, and the one in my belly button.
They are each about 1/2 inch long.
I had an LAVH w/BSO due to PCOS, cysts and fibroids.
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Hi!
I had 3 incisions, belly button, center of bikini line, and over the left ovary. Mine are hardly visible now. They're about 1/4 inch long.
I had lavh due to stage 4 endo and adeno. (after trying other treatments)
I got to keep my ovaries.
I'm almost one year out and I feel great!
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:11 AM

I have a question? My doc told me I had extremely bad endo but when I asked if I could keep my ovaries, he said absolutely not! He says that if you have a history of endo, that it will come back. He told me that it would come back and reattatch itself to my ovaries. Then, I would probably be back in surgery again within a couple of years. So he felt it was best to go ahead and take them all at once. Anyone else been told this? My mom just went to her doc in Tenn. and they told her the same thing. (Sorry, I know this wasn't about the inscissions but just had to ask while we were talking about types of surgeries and especially curious after Irish30's post.
Praz
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:16 AM

Hi Praz!
My Dr. and I decided to do lavh so she and the other surgeon could see my ovaries. We decided that if they looked bad she would remove them and if they looked healthy she would leave them. I was 30 years old and I am a mother of 2 small children and didn't want to go through menopause at 30.
It depends on your Dr. I think. Hope that helps.

All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAZDANZER
I have a question? My doc told me I had extremely bad endo but when I asked if I could keep my ovaries, he said absolutely not! He says that if you have a history of endo, that it will come back. He told me that it would come back and reattatch itself to my ovaries. Then, I would probably be back in surgery again within a couple of years. So he felt it was best to go ahead and take them all at once. Anyone else been told this? My mom just went to her doc in Tenn. and they told her the same thing. (Sorry, I know this wasn't about the inscissions but just had to ask while we were talking about types of surgeries and especially curious after Irish30's post.
Praz
MY doc left it up to me but wanted me to keep them because of my age. I DID keep them.
My doc said that 'sometimes' but not always, the endo can grow back if the ovaries are feeding estrogen to any that is left behind. Other times the endo that is left just dies off. She felt that if she could get the majority of it that I should be ok. There is always the chance I could end up in a few years down the road having to go in and have my ovaries removed. (It would be a minor day surgery like having your tubes tied). But that is not a for sure. She felt my main problem was the pain from the adeno.
So, I kept my ovaries. Hopefully I will not have to worry about hormones or having to go back in for surgery. I know there is a chance for both, but a chance I felt was worth taking (and my doctor too).
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Thanks girls,

I will be 34 in Dec. I wasn't real happy about the decision but after thinking about how moody and irritable I had been over the last couple of years, I thought that it was probably due to a hormonal imbalance and would have had to end up on some form of HRT anyway. So I am glad I went ahead and took them. I don't do well on drugs because of my allergy to them so going back to surgery didn't seem promising for me. That is another reason I have decided to go with herbal replacement because of my sensitivity to medications. Taking Bendadryl isn't an option to counter-act it because I am allergic to it as well. Thanks again for you input.

Praz
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM

How many did you have?
3 incisions arranged in a triangle, 1 in belly button, 2 below, 1 on either side that form the base of the triangle

Why did you have your hyst and what did you have done?
I had a LAVH+BSO for fibroids (heavy prolonged bleeding, anemia) and ovarian cysts.

As well, was the incision by your belly button veritcal?
Yes

And how big were your incisions.
Belly button = 3/4 inch
Other 2 = 1/4 inch

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register