I've scared off my SO for the weekend... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've scared off my SO for the weekend... I've scared off my SO for the weekend...

Unread 10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I've scared off my SO for the weekend...

...apparently i've been a little more moody than usual and he's gone off to his grandfather's house for the weekend so I can have some "me time". The polite way of saying i'm scaring him, and it takes a lot to do that.

As I can't take painkillers, not even the strong ones, for the last year and a bit my pain has been *controlled* (and I use that term VERY lightly) via altering the doses of hormones that I take - a delicate balancing act as I don't want to start bleeding uncontrollably again.

The upside of this is that post surgery I won't have to take any of them anymore.

The down side... I'm so emotional - and its not really related to the op. I'm still fairly calm about that - a little nervous every now and then, but calm mostly. Its in other situations that the mood swings are starting to run - crying at the drop of a hat - going from happy to snappy (SO's description) in seconds and then back to crying. And it doesn't make sense - I got some great new shoes and then sat there, staring at the box crying??? no idea why but...

I guess its all worth it, and once the artificial hormones are all gone it should settle again - provided my ovaries do their job once they've settled down after surgery.

What do you ladies do when the emotions / moods start to swing? Any preferred ideas / hints...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:55 AM

I had those roller coaster emotions, too, while I was waiting for my tah/bso. I could swing back & forth between crying & laughing in just seconds. And I wasn't taking hormones. You could be suffering from pre-op jitters some without realizing it

I found that staying as busy as possible is what helped me most. I shopped for new jammies, food for my freezer and pantry for recovery, cleaned and straightened, enjoyed lunch & movies with friends, and took long relaxing soaks in the tub.
Actually, a nice quiet weekend alone might have helped me. I enjoy "me " time occasionally. Maybe you can plan something special for you and your SO when he gets back?

Hang in there, your wait is getting shorter.

S
Unread 10-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanus
I had those roller coaster emotions, too, while I was waiting for my tah/bso. I could swing back & forth between crying & laughing in just seconds. And I wasn't taking hormones. You could be suffering from pre-op jitters some without realizing it

I found that staying as busy as possible is what helped me most. I shopped for new jammies, food for my freezer and pantry for recovery, cleaned and straightened, enjoyed lunch & movies with friends, and took long relaxing soaks in the tub.
Actually, a nice quiet weekend alone might have helped me. I enjoy "me " time occasionally. Maybe you can plan something special for you and your SO when he gets back?

Hang in there, your wait is getting shorter.

S

Thanks, you're right, it prob is part pre op jitters as well.
I'd love to stay busy but my darling SO has already done all the prep for me. Within days of me finding out he took me "for a drive" and made me follow him through several stores while he got me everything I could possibly want/need for my hospital / recovery bag. . He does ALL the cooking in our house - he loves to cook, takes over when I try etc. And has even been spring cleaning for me. Every night this week when I've got home he's cleaned a new room - and I mean cleaned - better job than I would have done - and I'm extremely fussy. And this is all from a man who has always wanted children of his own, and now won't get them.
I really need to think up something special to do for this man...But he's not an easy person to treat / shop for.

So i'm home alone, with nothing to keep me distracted except you lovely ladies - though that long soak in the tub is a definite possibility...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2008, 01:09 AM

Sounds like your SO is fabulous. Maybe you can use the time to write him a list of all the things he does for you that you really appreciate and a fantasy list of all the things you wish for him and that you would give to him if you could just wave a magic wand? Sometimes being really specific with you gratitude and thoughts can mean more than anything you could treat him with or shop for. (But if he has a favourite wine or food, perhaps you could go get them too so you can be ready to show him how much you value him when he gets back. (After all, he'll be taking care of you even more real soon.)

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-05-2008, 03:23 AM

Those suggestions are so great, ItalyDream. I guess I would add a few things I did to help with preop anxiety.

I had read a lot beforehand so I felt more prepared for what might happen; I took walks reminding myself to notice things I love (cats lounging on porch steps, flowers); I ordered presents for myself on the internet one of which I knew would arrive while I was in the hospital; I did a breathing meditation (picture a place you love, hand over heart, think of something you love unreservedly, and breathe in and out for 12-17 seconds, short but very helpful); I kept a pretty wild journal which is really cool to reread now (or alarming depending on the entry ); I took a valium afternoon before surgery.

I was very concerned that my husband would not ask for emotional support though he needed it. So I asked a friend to look out for him, and he did. (Took him out to breakfast, came with him to the hospital). This was so comforting to me.

This website saved my sanity the week before (not to mention every day since then):

My was an enormous comfort, too, and of course

Unread 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italydream
Sounds like your SO is fabulous. Maybe you can use the time to write him a list of all the things he does for you that you really appreciate and a fantasy list of all the things you wish for him and that you would give to him if you could just wave a magic wand? Sometimes being really specific with you gratitude and thoughts can mean more than anything you could treat him with or shop for. (But if he has a favourite wine or food, perhaps you could go get them too so you can be ready to show him how much you value him when he gets back. (After all, he'll be taking care of you even more real soon.)

Good luck with your surgery.
He's a keeper . I remind myself often how lucky I am to have him.

Thanks for the fantastic suggestions. I can work with those as I really want him to know how much he means to me.

Thanks.
Unread 10-05-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margali
Those suggestions are so great, ItalyDream. I guess I would add a few things I did to help with preop anxiety.

I had read a lot beforehand so I felt more prepared for what might happen; I took walks reminding myself to notice things I love (cats lounging on porch steps, flowers); I ordered presents for myself on the internet one of which I knew would arrive while I was in the hospital; I did a breathing meditation (picture a place you love, hand over heart, think of something you love unreservedly, and breathe in and out for 12-17 seconds, short but very helpful); I kept a pretty wild journal which is really cool to reread now (or alarming depending on the entry ); I took a valium afternoon before surgery.

I was very concerned that my husband would not ask for emotional support though he needed it. So I asked a friend to look out for him, and he did. (Took him out to breakfast, came with him to the hospital). This was so comforting to me.

This website saved my sanity the week before (not to mention every day since then):

My cat was an enormous comfort, too, and of course

I love the things you've put in here to help with pre op anxiety - they make so much sense and will certainly be of great help. Yet another reason I love this site - where else would I get this kind of advice?

Thank you.
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi HayleyNZ

I too was pretty emotional before my surgery, I had so many conflicting thoughts and feelings. Think about it, you are rounding a corner in your life, you are saying goodbye to your childbearing years and embracing a new and unknown era in your life. It's ok to have all those feelings.

I can tell you, you will be ok, try to relax and focus on getting your mind in a position to accept that this surgery will help you to feel better in the long run and you will be back to your old self in time.

My surgery will be 4 weeks behind me this Wednesday and I cannot believe how fast the time has flown. I too had my problems, but you do overcome them and then you feel proud of yourself that you did.
Unread 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM

HI,
I was put on hormones to control bleeding. IT changed my world...the first time it did not work and only mood swings. The second time... it was a couple years later another try and was jsut for a few months until surgery. I had mood swings again. These ladys have given you such caring advice. (((Hugs))) to you for listening and accepting it so graciously. Yes you do have a kind and thought ful SO. Aside from doing special things for your self..pampering yourslef and the meditating and all the good advice. Another idea I had is that many ladies here play in the game, games, games forum to pass time before and after surgery to keep thier mind off of what ever and to pass time with thier new sisters here. We would love to have you join us!!! wellness wishes
Unread 10-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianezz
HI,
I was put on hormones to control bleeding. IT changed my world...the first time it did not work and only mood swings. The second time... it was a couple years later another try and was jsut for a few months until surgery. I had mood swings again. These ladys have given you such caring advice. (((Hugs))) to you for listening and accepting it so graciously. Yes you do have a kind and thought ful SO. Aside from doing special things for your self..pampering yourslef and the meditating and all the good advice. Another idea I had is that many ladies here play in the game, games, games forum to pass time before and after surgery to keep thier mind off of what ever and to pass time with thier new sisters here. We would love to have you join us!!! wellness wishes
Mmmm the games sound like a plan, defintely. Thanks for the input

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register