Staying overnight or going home the same day? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staying overnight or going home the same day? Staying overnight or going home the same day?

Unread 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Staying overnight or going home the same day?

I am having the DaVinci hysterectomy. My dr is scheduling me as an outpatient. What are you ladies in for? I am worried about going home the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Re: Staying overnight or going home the same day?

I've come to understand that outpatient means anything less than 24hrs in insurance speak. I've noticed the majority of ladies here stay overnight for a da Vinci; I did. I had the option of going home the same day but I apparently slept through it . I was not ready to go home the same day, but overnight was just fine.
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM

I am also having the Da Vinci and it is marked as outpatient, but I will be staying the night. They just have you stay up to 23 hours I believe. I'm guessing it is from when you get to your room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

I wasn't a Da Vinci but I was an outpatient even though I stayed the night. I was a little over 24 hours.
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

I had SAH. I had a 23 hour stay. I was ready to be home in my own bed.
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

My doctor told me one night and possibly two depending on how I felt. TVH scheduled for the 18th, with bladder tack.
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

I was there overnight, 25 hours total, and glad for it! (Yeah, the bed was uncomfortable, and I didn't sleep worth anything, and the early morning blood draw wasn't pleasant ...)
Things were just so much easier that way overall. Maybe your experience will be like some of the others who were listed as "outpatient" and stayed the night anyway.

You will probably be so out of it and sore right after surgery that simple things might be hard to do (even reaching over and getting your cup of water) that if you do go home the same day make sure you have someone there with you if possible to help when you need it.

*Hugs* I wish you all the best.

Jenn
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM

I would be very wary of any doctor who tried to push you out of the hospital too quickly before you are ready. My first gyn I visited planned to do a laproscopic hysterectomy with a bladder tack using mesh. The procedure was to begin early in the morning, last 45 minutes, and I would be observed for 4 hours and then sent home. I consulted a second gyn who planned at TVH with anterior and posterior repairs. This is the doctor who performed my surgery and I had 100% faith in him. The surgery was 2 hours and was inpatient. After surgery, I had complications waking up from the anesthesia and required to wear oxygen until the next day. I also was unable to void on my own and had to wear a catheter home. I'm so happy with my decision to bypass the first doctor because I can't imagine being sent out of the outpatient clinic in the shape I was in.
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:46 AM

I went home 7 hours after my da vinci. I told the doc that I wanted to spend the night and he told me NO!! He said that the hospitals are full of bugs!! He wanted to get me out of the hospital before I got sick. I agreed when I felt pretty good after the surgery to go home. Hope this helps!
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatsx5 View Post
I am having the DaVinci hysterectomy. My dr is scheduling me as an outpatient. What are you ladies in for? I am worried about going home the same day.
I had the DaVinci also.
Went in very, very early in the morning.
Was discharged about noon the following day.

While I was in the hospital, I was having a hard time thinking that I was soon going to be discharged.
But, in the end, ......it was all fine.

The nurses will work with you, knowing that you are only there for limited hours.
ie: they won't do everything for you, but rather they will guide you as you do things for yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register