Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cystoscopy?  Has anyone had this done? Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done?

Unread 09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Question - Cystoscopy?  Has anyone had this done? Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done?

Hi, newbie here. I'm scheduled for a Cystoscopy next Monday for stress leakage, abdominal pain, painful intercourse, and blood in my urine. I'm a chicken as I live with pain 24/7 and don't need any more. I have read all about the procedure, but I would like the story from someone who has had a Cystoscopy.

Does it hurt? How long does it take? Did you receive any type of anesthesia prior to the procedure? Did you have any pain after the procedure?

I entered this same message on another thread in hopes that someone will respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done?

I had a cystoscopy when I had my LAVH last week. That doesn't help you out much because obviously I was out for the surgery. The one thing I noticed is that for the first 2-3 days it kind of felt like a bladder infection. It wasn't bad but just had this tingling, very slight burning sensation in my bladder. I just figured that it had been irritated a bit but things are pretty good now. Hopefully someone else can give more insight.
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm w/ LK on that. I was sedated but not put under but I do NOT remember a thing, which is common for the sedations they do now. It was like a mild uti for me but they gave me some meds to numb my urinary tract (can't remember the name).. and also got put on preventative antibiotics. I was fine within 48 hours. I had this done months ago, before my hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2006, 08:55 PM

A cystoscopy can be done in a Dr's office or in the OR. The difference is when they're done in the OR a hydrodistention is usually also done along with a biopsy of the bladder wall/lining. When done in the OR the patient is sedated via general anesthesia, conscious sedation (Versed), or with an epidural. When its done in the DR's office the only thing thats used is a numbing agent in the urethra.
I've had them both done and neither time suffered with anything more than a bit of burning and passing a bit of blood upon urination the first few times after the procedure.
The procedure sounds alot worse than it is. Saying that, everyone has a different threshold of pain, and sometimes the procedure can infact aggravate pain thats already present.
I wouldnt worry too terribly much about it though. More than likely you'll be able to report to us that there wasnt much to it.

good luck, dear
diana
Unread 09-12-2006, 10:10 PM

I agree with the last post, I have had 3 or 4 done in the doctors office it wasn't bad at all. First they put numbing gel into your urethra, then wait and do the scope - I like to watch and find it very interesting ask if you can see. One time afterward, I had some burning and the doctor told me to use AZO for the burning it worked like a charm, you can ask ahead of time if you can use it if you need it. Let us know how it went. Hugs.
Unread 09-13-2006, 11:41 AM

barbihug-
I had a cystoscopy done in the doctor's office, not during surgery. My urethra was numbed first so when the catheter/scope was inserted, I could feel pressure, but no pain. It really is more embarassing than painful. I agree with the other ladies that I had to be careful about getting a UTI afterward. My uro gave me a preventative antibiotic injection, and Urelle pills for a few days for the irritation afterward. That took care of it for me.
Julie
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:41 PM

Hi Barbihug!

My cystoscopy is schedule for next Monday too. I'm such a baby when it comes to getting tests or anything done to me.
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice, help and words of encouragement; however, I suffer from IBS-D and was unable to go through with the procedure due to the "D". They are rescheduling it. Thanks to all of you, I am no longer afraid. I will let you know how it turns out. You gals are great!
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:47 PM

I have had many cystocopies in my life and they were not painful other than a little 'pinch' and burning when I voided the first few times , even when I have had them with a bad uti. All were done in the office (except the ones to the kidneys which they do in the hospital and sedate you). Most used a numbing in the urethra first but not every time. I seem to get a uti after if I do not already have one but you could ask for a preventive antibotic and pyridium if you are concerned with infection and/or the burning afterward. They will show up on a screen and many doctors let you watch it is very interesting to watch the uters open and let the urine 'bubble' down.
Try and relax, honest it is not a bad procedure.
Good luck
Abby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register