Works thinks I should be back in 2 weeks! HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Works thinks I should be back in 2 weeks!  HELP!! Works thinks I should be back in 2 weeks! HELP!!

Unread 04-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Works thinks I should be back in 2 weeks! HELP!!

Okay... I work with some ladies, who NEVER get sick, have never had major surgery, and look at people who do like they are taking advantage of the company. So my boss says to me that her sister had a c-section and was good in two weeks, so I should be good by then. I tried to explain to her that it's different (I've had 2 c-sections, and I wasn't "good" after 2 weeks), but she just said "You're strong, you'll be back". What if I'm not? There was another lady that took 8 weeks off for her hyster and they all make fun of her. I don't want to be a wimp, but I know I'm not going to be able to be back in 2 or 3 weeks. I couldn't do it after the babies and they say this is harder...

I just don't know what to do or say to them when they make comments....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 05:57 PM

Educate them....find some posts that explain the procedures and recovery that you are going to have and print them off. They have never been there so they can't possibly understand.

If it was me I'd find the most graphic swelly belly, gas, BM posts and make them read. But thats just me. <evil grin>

Its your body don't push yourself or it takes even longer to get back at it.

Hugs & Happy thoughts

Misti
Unread 04-20-2004, 05:57 PM

I am so not a whimp..only took 3 days off for a gallbladder surgery...well im here to tell you i took 6 weeks off for this surgery and really think i needed 8 weeks....im back to work this week and within 4 hours my belly swollen and i have discomfort, not pain but discomfort. I also am tired when i get home to the point im in bed for the rest of the eve..i cant be a wife or mom...so dont listen to them or feel guilty, one thing i have realized with this surgery is that my health is more important than anything else. I thought this would be a piece of cake and i would be back to work in 2 weeks...I am so glad i took 6 weeks, hey if things work out and you are this mircle woman then go back early but dont let them think you are coming back any sooner..and believe me life goes on at work..i was really disappointed when i returned yesterday and it was like no big deal for them, okay your back, get to work...
so be kind to yourself take the 6 weeks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 06:01 PM

Ok the people you work with have no clue as to how involved a hyst is. It is MAJOR surgery!!! A c-section is totally different, you are not having internal organs removed, you are just haing a baby removed. My sis was in the hospital for almost a week after her c-section, she had to be helped to get dressed for almost 2 weeks.

As far as I am concerned the woman you are talking need to do a little educating on their part. Don't listen to them, they don't know jack ****!!!

Listen to your dr and your body, you will know when you are ready to return back to work, not them. As far as I am concerned, if you can afford to, take the full time given to you, you will be happy you did. Thats what I plan to do, take advantage of my time. Even though there is a possiblity I can return after a few weeks if I am feeling up to it, my DH and I have said NO! I will take the full 6 - 8 weeks and take it from there.

Kedi
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Work thinks I should be back in 2 weeks! HELP!!

I never get sick, etc. either. HA HA You are not being a wimp.

I was surprised that the recommended time off was so long and that I would be in the hospital for 3-4 days.

I had a doctor's note indicating an expected time off of 8 weeks. I also provided my employer a doctor's note of my return to work. I was off November 20 to January 21. I may have been able to return to work sooner, but wouldn't have been good for much!

Good luck!

SusieQ
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:14 PM

maybe she needs to know that everything is being sewed in place and that it is vital to your healing that you rest! I agree with the other ladies EDUCATE HER!!!
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM

I wish I had some healing words here, but gee I would like to slug *punch* these women... they sound like absolute narsasitic witches! I feel sorry for anyone who thinks these people are friends. To laugh behind someones back who had surgery what ignorant jerks! I hope they will listen if you give them the facts. They do have the facts of hyster recovery on the site here. But I know that some people are so selfabsorbed that cannot see past their own
OOOO this erks me!!
You take care of yourself. To heck with them, she cannot MAKE you come back before your ready.

Carrie
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Someone posted a link to the pelvicfloor.com. It has pictures of what we go thru for different types of surgeries. That could be a wonderful way to educate them, especial if they have weak stomachs. So sorry to hear that you have to work with people like that! It is my understanding that there will be so many stitches that it is hard to keep track of them all. Not to mention there is a BIG difference between having a baby removed/birth c-section style and having organs removed. Some Dr's have told some of our sisters that they could not lift anything that is heavier then your phone. I love to go into detail when someone gives me an attitude, i.e., "the Dr will have to detach my uterus from my bladder...did you know that they were contected by tissue called a curtain. I had know idea. They just slice it and tie off the blood vessels--there are a lot of them." Most of the time they squirm. Well my pre-op pain meds are kicking in--hope I made myself clear/understandablbleeeee. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz hee hee
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Have your doctor write a note stating you will need to be off for x amount of weeks because of medical reason. That should be enough of an "excuse." I wouldn't bother taking women who are that un-understanding (new word here) a bunch of info, because they obviously know it all!

s
Cat
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Gawd sakes!!!

I had a C- section, and i was in the hospital for about 4 days, and now im due for a hysterectomy in about a week or 2, in May as well. I can tell you that the emotional and physical strains of everything so outweighs those small minded people who don't care about another human being that is going through such trauma. But you know I can tell you that, if and when it all is on there doorstep, they will see what its like to walk in the other persons shoes. You know i have a 23 cent. by 15 cent. ovarian tumor ( cyst) whatever the alien creatures are,,, inside of me right now,,, and if anyone says a thing to me, I am going to lift my darn shirt up,, and show them the stitches that run from my c- section area,, all the way up to my ribs,,, and say,,,"" DO you believe me now?" And then maybe they will think, Geesh!!! That is the problem with this world,,Some people think that things can't happen to them,, when in a split second,,they are dealing with something that they thought that would never happen to them. Life is funny that way!!!!! I wish you luck with your situation there... But always remember,,," TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE!!!""<<<<<< Be good to yourself,,,,,,,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register