Laprascopic v. Abdominal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laprascopic v. Abdominal Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Unread 02-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Good Morning Ladies -

I am in the middle of trying to make a decision between a laprascopic hyst or an abdominal. Obviously if it was purely my decision I would go for the laprascopic. However, I was told by one physician that I having had two prior c-sections might be a reason NOT to do it laprascopically. I have appointments for 2nd and 3rd opinions but was curious if anyone else had similiar circumstances.

I have 4 medium sized fibroids and several smaller ones. I have looked into UFE and because one is submucosal I am not a great candidate for that procedure.

Thanks
Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Hi Cris, I am having LAVH on the 22 of Feb. I have had two C - sections as well. The doctor did not say anything about my C - sections. I quess I should ask him about it at my pre- opt visit.
I do not have any fibroids though.

All the best to you,

Niecy
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

I would ask your other docs (the ones that are doing your other opinions) what they think.

Mine couldn't be done vaginally or laprascopically because of the tilt of my uterus and its size, but they never mentioned the c-sections, although maybe that was a consideration, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

I have had 2 c-sections and the only thing my doctor mention, that vaginal removal may not be possible because of the size of my fibroids.
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Hi Cris -

My doctor said she would shoot for laparascopic, but she wouldn't know til she "got in there" if it would be possible. She said it depended on the size and location of the fibroids, the shape of my uterus, and if she found anything weird that she wasn't anticipating. Thankfully it was possible. My friends at work said they did a laparascopic dance for me the morning of my surgery! I'm not sure exactly what that was, but if that's what did the trick then I'm grateful.

Good luck!

Colleen
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

I was told by my first Dr. that I would have to have a TAH because of the size of my fibroids. I'd pretty much reconciled myself to that fact, until I started reading here and seeing women having LAVH or LSH with fibroids larger than mine. This took me to a second opinion, where the Dr. said he would try but couldn't guarantee LAVH, he was able to complete it LAVH and my recovery has been easier than I was anticipating.

I would definitely recommend a second or third opinion, as many as it takes to get your questions answered to your satisfaction. I was confident with the recommendation of my Dr. that hyst was the solution for me, and am grateful to the ladies here for sharing thier stories encouraging me to get a second opinion, saving me from a more difficult recovery.

Unread 02-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Thought I'd put in a plug for LSH here. If your fibroids are too large, or your uterus tilted, perhaps LSH would be an option. I had my 14 week size uterus (with large fibroids) removed this way. They use a morcellator -- a tube with a circular blade on the end. They stick it into a lap incision, and after the uterus is cut from its blood supply they use the morcellator to cut in into strips and suck it out. LSH is the most minimally invasive form of hysterectomy. Since the cervix remains there are considerations regarding your risk of cervical cancer before deciding if this is the best option for you. Also, if your Dr. is concerned about the size of your uterus, some Dr's give a Lupron injection 3 months before surgery to shrink fibroids. Hope this gives you something else to consider. Good luck.
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Hi Cris,

I think a 2nd and 3rd opinion is a good idea. My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH due to the size of my fibroids. My 2nd opinion suggested a LSH after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for surgery. I had my cervix cauterized during surgery to prevent a mini-period.

I am 9 1/2 months post-op from my LSH and still very happy with my surgery results. It feels great to have my health back.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Laprascopic v. Abdominal

Hi Cris,

I had two previous c-sections also. My doctor and I opted for the laproscopic hyst but there was the possibility of the abdominal cut. The only reason that he said that they might have to do the abdominal cut would be because of bladder problems from the previous c-sections. Luckily, I just had the LSH. I'm just over one week post-op. For me, the LSH is a bit harder than the c-sections were. But it's better than the big cut. It's amazing what they can do laproscopically now.

Tink

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register