How are you 4 weekers out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you 4 weekers out there? How are you 4 weekers out there?

Unread 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
How are you 4 weekers out there?

I'm doing great! In fact I never since from day 1 felt I have ever had surgery.
Now if I can just stop eating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Honestly? Today I'm exhausted! I had a follow-up with the GP and a post-op with Urologist today. From the time I left to the time I returned home it was more than five hours. I had to have an internal so he could check the vaginal incision he did during bladder repair and also had to be catheterized to make sure my bladder's emptying. Oh, the joys of being a woman. He's very gentle, a very nice man, and a good doctor, so it's bearable.

I'm still having some abdominal pain and a yellow discharge. However, he said things are healing nicely and reminded me to keep from overdoing it. He said the discharge can last up to eight weeks. It feels so good to cough and not wet my pants when I do. Well, okay, it doesn't feel good to cough. LOL! I'd mentioned to him how I'd taken a look-see to discover how very different my anatomy is looking these days. He agreed and reminded me that my uterus and rectum were protruding through my vagina. Eegads! Between the work he did, the GYN, and the plastic surgeon, well, sisters, I'm lookin' rather youthful again.

While I feel better each week, I'm realistic about how much surgery I had and have to remind myself that I'm not superwoman and continually give myself permission to rest and heal.

Thanks for asking how we 4-week post-ops are, PCOSyster!

Maxine
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks post op for me and I'm feeling pretty good (TAH BSO). I feel like I can do most anything but I'm still watching the amount I lift and no housework too strenuous. At the end of the day I'm pretty tired and achy even with my afternoon nap. I kind of overdid something on Saturday, although I don't know exactly what. I was so sore when I went to bed. Popped 3 Advil and was fine in the morning. I've got 2 1/2 weeks left to be off work and kind of enjoy it now although I get awfully bored sometimes.

My tummy has really gone down in the last week. I see my dr Thursday for the first time since I left the hospital so she can check my progress. I'm anxious to find out if I'm still anemic and exactly what she found "in there". She told me about it at the hospital, but that was 1 day post op and I don't remember a lot of specifics, just that I was "a mess".

Hope all my "sisters" are also doing well. The support from this website is/was great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 07:25 PM

I am 4 weeks post op today, and had my post op appt. Everything is healing nicely according to dr. I had an internal exam, but no speculum was used. 2 more weeks before I go back to work!
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM

I hit 4 weeks on Thursday and am dreading going back to work. I also overdid it this weekend, so I was exhausted today. Although all of a sudden the last 4 days, I seemed to increase substantially in what I can do. Did you find that to be the case?
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:54 PM

I'm at 4 weeks today. I think I'm doing really well. My incision looks good and I'm not having any pains. I still get tired and have to take naps tho.

I see my gyno Wednesday for my checkup and have a list of questions to ask him.

But all in all I think I'm in pretty good shape.
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM

I am 4 weeks tomorrow. Went to the mall today and had to rest quite often. Came home with my back hurting. I even had to get the heating pad out and buy more Motrin. I wonder if that is normal. Any ideas?
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM

I am 4 weeks tommorrow as well. Have been feeling great except that on one side of my incision it is very red and open a little bit, the nurse told me to put some neosporin on it last week and I have been doing that, but tonight it really hurts and is very red with a little bloody discharge. Has that happened to anyone? I am going to try to get in to see my obgyn tommorrow if possible. Thanks.
Unread 06-06-2006, 06:11 AM

I'm doing well ( TAH) still having soreness on my sides ( just what the heck did they do?) Pain meds only occcasionally tho. I walked nine and half city blocks to the library yesterday and ended up having to take the bus home. but boy did it feel good to get out of this house!! of course I'm paying for my little adventure today but I'll live!

I still have one spot on the incision that keeping opening and draining clear, otherwise it's all closed.

end of the week, doc cleared me to start job hunting! hopefully I'll be able to find something quickly!
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:52 AM

Had my wait-for-45-minutes-then-have-a-20-minute oby-gyn dr. appt. last Tuesday at 3-wks plus 4 days where he did an internal exam, checked the incision, said I was healing faster than most people, prescribed meds for a vaginal infection, clapped me on the shoulder and said, "Bye, see you in a year!" I was pretty stunned, given what I'd read on this site from other sisters waiting for release from restrictions. I think I said thank you, paid for part of my bill, then sat in the car and cried before starting off home. I'd been thinking before the surgery that I needed to change doctors despite his reputation as an excellent doctor and surgeon, but this has definitely solidified the idea. Walking into his big offices with at least eight 5-ft. bulletin boards covered with hundreds of photos of happy newborns, their mothers and my doctor, I always got the feeling that me and my problems were just secondary for him. After that appt., I felt as though he was saying, "Well, you're not worth much or useful anymore now that everything's been removed, so adios!"

I know I'm ecstatic that the pre-cancerous cells were not evident in the path report, and that despite his having to switch from LAVH to TAH, everything went well. I guess I should be really happy about being released from restrictions and will certainly listen to what my body tells me I can and can't do. (Well, most of the time I'll listen...lol). I mean, given where I was a month or 2 ago, I KNOW I'm better and will continue to get better, although today seems to be turning into one of those weepy days.

It's not anything to do with not having kids or anything like that. Maybe it's just being wiped out from the mile walk I took this morning, maybe it's still HRT adjusting to my altered body. I'm still achy around my nicely healed incision with its weirdo lumpy knots underneath, my nerve-damaged leg is still numb and wooden-like and still shoots fiery bolts up and down every once and a while, and I feel like the Michelin man today with swelly belly. Still trying to find that "normal" routine thing where intestines are concerned; evidently lots, repeat lots, of manipulation of organs happened to remove endometriosis and it will likely take a while to return to previous functionality. Just wish it would hurry up and not hurt so much still! There are few things I won't do for a while, like heavy garden work or lawnmowing (got a service for the 1st time) or completely cleaning the house from top to bottom. But most other chores I'm back to doing, though I wear out faster, so I take more rest breaks.

But the sunshine is streaming through the windows on a beautiful day, so I think I need to snap myself out of this weepy mode and go do something practical, like wash dishes or play with my cats or read a book. See, my cats are chewing on my shoelaces underneath this desk, so I'd better go and become the real me again. Sorry this turned into a whine. I'll be better next time. Thanks for asking about us 4-weekers, and I'm so glad you're doing well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register