I was beginning to have doubts about my decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I was beginning to have doubts about my decision I was beginning to have doubts about my decision

Unread 05-18-2002, 06:19 PM
I was beginning to have doubts about my decision

... until today. My period started almost a week early and was awful, as usual, but looked like it was going to be over before I had to travel. (Yea!)

My local newspaper, the Kansas City Star, today ran an article on hysterectomies -- how 95% of them are "elective" and that the medical community over-prescribes them (so to speak). I was starting to wonder about my choice. However today, when my period was down to a trickle after 5 days, it suddenly started back in at full force. Wait a minute! I was supposed to be done! Large clots, ounces of fluid passed at once! My doubts about my choice to have this all taken care of have vanished.

I understand that this procedure is major surgery and I know that that should not be taken lightly but I'm sick and tired of this s***. I'd like to have a normal life, like I did just a couple of years ago. I'm afraid if I continue like I am now, I will definitely be anemic (I already am) and just might bleed to death!

If you feel you need this procedure, don't let anyone talk you out of it (or guilt you out of it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 06:37 PM

Hey Susan

I am with you! The went up today It was late and I was keeping my fingers crossed that because I am soo stressed about my surgery on the 27th that I wasen't going to get it....NO SUCH LUCK! Now I am going to feel like s*#t until my date at the castle Heck with the stress, I can't wait until the 27th!
Unread 05-18-2002, 06:40 PM

There's a big difference between "elective" and "unnecessary." Elective just means you could survive without it, and you get to plan its timing to a certain extent.

For that matter, all eyeglasses and contact lenses are "elective," as are all pain meds. So what's their point?

My hyst was elective. I'm the one who pursued it; my gyn didn't foist it on me. But it was definitely necessary for my quality of life. I had tried everything else.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 07:05 PM

Good point Melissa............ (picking up flag and marching behind YOU) ..

It is a drag when some woman get that kind of stuff dumped on them.
No one knows the silent hell some woman live each month. So I say........ shut up....... to those who have not walked one month in our shoes! Let alone years!!!
Luckily for me....... everyone that knew my situation was supportive of my doing this...... I was the one so hell bent on NOT doing it. Now that I have done it...... I can not believe I resisted for so long. (year and a half)
But I wanted to try every thing I could think of first....... from denail to progestrone cream....... nothing worked... hate when denial fails...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register