untruthful dr - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

untruthful dr untruthful dr

Unread 05-23-2005, 09:58 AM
untruthful dr

I had no problems with my doctor's reports but wanted to address the transcription opinion.

I am a medical transcription and we do make mistakes but not to the extent that would cuase the report to sound false. Many doctors would use this as an excuse but they are ultimatley responsible for reading and making sure that what he says is in the report correctly. It would be hard for a transciptionist to mix up a whole sentence like about the gallbladder unless she was totally irresponsible.

The doctors do dictate fast but the machines we use have a way to slow down the dictation or speed it up as needed. When we are not sure of something we are suppose to tag it back for the physician to clarify.

In the case above of the report on an absent gallbladder is sounds as if the doctor had his patients confused. I have seen this happen wtih doctors I transcribe for.

I would love to know how your doctor would explain his report to you.

Hope all is well. Please don't think I am being a smart *** or upset about what was said about transcribing reports, I just wanted to clarify this from a transcriptionists point of view.

Thanks for reading

dumby in alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
untruthful dr

ephphatha00;

Oh you poor girl! I Know just how you feel..."Been there,done that", as they say.

I also was given a colonoscopy, and told I had diverticulosis ! That was by my GP. Now I even wonder about that?!?

All the rest of the 'Not telling" was done by my Gyno of 12 years. It was the new GYNO...that finally found , or at least told me about what was wrong.

And to - DUMBY;

I understand all to well the problems with transcription. I am not blaming that at all. (Although I do wonder about the 'Phantom Gallbladder" that was discussed.)???????

I blame a GYNO that just looked at an old lady ( 48 or so when all this started) and thought only of menopause....and nothing else!

Kate
Unread 05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
untruthful dr

Hey, d_lo. How did I get my records? I just went into the hospital records section and asked for them. That was the easy part. "What did I want?" "Everything that you've got." You'll have to talk to a supervisor." Finally I get an envelope from the hospital. Yay! Inside is my dr's dictated surgical report. Nothing else. Sigh. Grrrr. Call. Am also calling dr's office for a copy of all their records, which I know they won't give me. Grrrr. Will have my hormone lady dr call.

Why don't they have a smilie for Grrrr? I'd use it a lot.
Unread 05-23-2005, 12:28 PM
untruthful dr

(((Walnut Brownie))) If you're wondering about the mention of your gall bladder in the surgical report, I'd call the doctor to clarify the surgical report. That should clear up the situation, I would think. (I also had a similar thing happen. I was told I had my appendix removed when I had kidney surgery when I was 3-1/2, but my hyst report indicates a "normal appendix". Either I'm a starfish and re-growing organs, or that appendix wasn't removed when I was a little girl.)

As for whether or not the doctor was being untruthful upfront (the original post in the thread) -- I don't really know. Unless you asked a question ("Is my uterus enlarged?") and he said "No", I don't think that he was necessarily being untruthful. Perhaps he should have given you more information, or perhaps you should have asked more questions. But I'm not sure this behavior indicates that he lied to you. Sorry.

I know it's frustrating to think of people acting almost carelessly regarding your health and medical care. But it does happen. We all need to take a very active role as advocates for ourselves in health care.
Unread 05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
untruthful dr

I apologize I think that maybe I worded my original question wrong. I don't think he lied to me but I did ask him alot of questions and he gave me very vague answers. I still like my doc alot. He's done alot for me physically and emotionally. I was just mostly confused about the whole situation. I just assumed that they had to tell you all of your conditions before hand.
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:15 AM
untruthful dr

Just another note about surgical reports. I am a nurse, and at the bottom of all the "dictated" reports there is a line that states, the report is concidered full and correct with A Dr signature within 72 hours. If there is a descrepency the Dr either crosses off a word and initials it, or he has it corrected, and the original and correction stay on the chart. I have worked at about 5 different hospitals, and have always seen this footnote under the dictated report. It is the surgeon or Dr's responsibility to check their dictations. (Perhaps it is a Canadian thing though?)
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:26 AM
untruthful dr

I haven't seen the surgery report yet, however I did get to see the pathology report yesterday.

My tests that lead to the hysterectomy stated that 2 months ago I had a 16 week size uturis, which was very grey and thick from scar tissue, 5 large fibroids (about the size of fists) and an extreme amount of large cysts on both ovaries.

According to the pathology report, there were no fibroids, and my uturis was normal size. They did find the grey thick scar tissue both inside and out and the cysts.

I kind of was thinking maybe they crossed test results, or confused my insides with one of the other 12 ladies that had hysterectomies the same day as me (laughing)

I am however still very happy with my decision to have the hyster and plan on not looking back! Good bye pain and bleeding!
Unread 05-24-2005, 11:20 AM
untruthful dr

oompahloompah, here is the smilie for grrrr! I really worry about whether or not these docs realize some of my sisters are actually individuals, and not to be mistaken for the next hyster on the table. I can't complain about my doc, who is a wonderful man, but some of these docs are just certifiable!
Vanessa
Unread 05-24-2005, 02:45 PM
untruthful dr

Thanks for the smilie, vanmedlock! I always thought that that one was "Pffffft!"
mdj2491's outlook is refreshing - sometimes I'm way too cynical. Of course, other days I call it realistic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register